navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No FITS for me  (Read 5858 times)
Flecktimus

« on: April 01, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »

Just received the news from The Energy Saving Trust (Scotland) that it will be almost impossible for me to receive FITS as the technology I wanted to use is not recognised unless I go through a massive amount of accreditation work that I am quite simply not up to.
So what is this fantastic technology that they donít recognise?

Undershot Waterwheel
I live just outside Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders and I am lucky enough to have about 300m of the River Jed. The big problem with the River Jed is, itís all volume not much drop. So not to give up that easy I measured what drop I had available and came up with between 1m Ė 1.4m.
So I starting studying on the net to see what technology was available for such a low head and came across a guy called Jean-Victor Poncelet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Victor_Poncelet.
http://www.waterwheelfactory.com/Hester.htm
Now this guy apparently developed an Undershot Waterwheel that could give 60% efficiency. Great I have loads of water but very little head can this work for me? First problem I hit is finding a decent diagram of this technology until I come across a guy call Ron Shannon
This guy has posted on the Internet a diagram as close as you can get to the Poncelet Wheel http://permaculturewest.org.au/ipc6/ch08/shannon/index.html. So I designed what I thought I needed
0.75m Drop
2.25m Wheel
1.3m Vane
282LPS (easily Available)
1245Watts @ 60% efficiency

Simples

Good news is you can have an Overshot Waterwheel

Anyway back to the drawing board.

Rant Over
rhys

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:27:11 PM »

Archemedes Screw?
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6921.0
guydewdney

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »

Just call it a low head turbine  - and I have read that poncelot's are over 90% efficient (book called 'stronger than a hundred men' - is a fairly technical book on the development of the water wheel). In fact - at the time of invention - one professional body measured it as 103% efficient...  tomatosplat

needless to say - its very good. Also see 'zuppinger'

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
northern installer

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »

I would agree with Guy,after all,a poncelot has a nozzle,shaped blades,and close casing clearance,so surely it is a low head turbine? just make sure the invoice refers to it as such.

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »

Unfortunately the categorisation hardly matters if the manufacturer has not MCS accredited the product.

Volunteer moderator
Paulo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »

I wouldn't give in yet. No hydro equipment is MCS accredited yet, as far as I am aware, in fact I have just checked the accredited product list and there are no products listed at all for hydro! But from the old 'Clear Skies / LCBP' list there was a 'Zuppinger' (I think) by German company Hydrowatt, the UK agent is Pico Energy in Devon, expensive though! Another organisation worth talking to is Pedley Wheel Trust in Cheshire, I understand that they intend to go through accreditation (again they were previously on the Clear Skies list) and although most (if not all) of their existing installations are overshot, I have spoken previously to them about a Poncelet. For the size of wheel you are talking about, I would make a call to Paul Bromley at Pedley Wheel Trust. He is not a company as such and you may be able to purchase just the design and fabrication drawings from him. (Both these organisations are easy to find through google and I have no affiliation to ether of them!)

Hope this is helpful,

Paul
northern installer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »

Flecktimus,after re reading your post,I am not clear on whether you actually have a poncelot wheel,or you plan to install one? as Ted points out,mcs is all,but there may yet be room for manouver given that mcs is,as far as I know,not yet available either on manufacture or install?

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Flecktimus

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:46:07 AM »

I wouldn't give in yet. No hydro equipment is MCS accredited yet, as far as I am aware, in fact I have just checked the accredited product list and there are no products listed at all for hydro! But from the old 'Clear Skies / LCBP' list there was a 'Zuppinger' (I think) by German company Hydrowatt, the UK agent is Pico Energy in Devon, expensive though! Another organisation worth talking to is Pedley Wheel Trust in Cheshire, I understand that they intend to go through accreditation (again they were previously on the Clear Skies list) and although most (if not all) of their existing installations are overshot, I have spoken previously to them about a Poncelet. For the size of wheel you are talking about, I would make a call to Paul Bromley at Pedley Wheel Trust. He is not a company as such and you may be able to purchase just the design and fabrication drawings from him. (Both these organisations are easy to find through google and I have no affiliation to ether of them!)

Hope this is helpful,

Paul

Hi Paul

Actually as i was driving to Edinburgh yesterday morning i had suddenly remember about The pedley Wheel Trust and yes i think they may be worth contacting.

I will kept you informed

Alex

Flecktimus

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 06:52:50 AM »

Flecktimus,after re reading your post,I am not clear on whether you actually have a poncelot wheel,or you plan to install one? as Ted points out,mcs is all,but there may yet be room for manouver given that mcs is,as far as I know,not yet available either on manufacture or install?

Hi northern installer

No I haven't got a Hydro system yet,its because of my low head,but good flow that i am looking at poncelot.

I also take on board Teds point and hopefully there may be some movement

Alex
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »

Consider joining http://www.microhydroassociation.co.uk (it's free) who are still pushing to get DECC to drop the MCS nonsense for hydro.

Volunteer moderator
Baz

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »

If you don't have an existing weir and wheel you might need an environmental impact assessment to get planning permission. My village looked at a community project a few years ago, reviving a 19century leat. 50k for the study soon killed that idea.
guydewdney

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »

50K just for the STUDY? jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
northern installer

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »

Yep,thats the price of letting the lunatics run the asylum........ wackoold

Flecktimus

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »

50K just for the STUDY? jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Thats what you get with a service based economy  wackoold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: