navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you choose? Iskra 5kw or proven 6?  (Read 4720 times)
Adam

« on: April 17, 2010, 07:30:38 AM »

If they were both similar in price  Huh

I do like the build quality and simplicity if the Iskra Evance Roll Eyes
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:08:54 AM »

Morning Adam,

depends where you live, high wind area or by the sea, Proven, anywhere else Iskra. I love my Proven (though it is the more robust 2.5kw) but my dealings with the company over the last 4 and a half years have not been smooth. That is until a week or to back when Suzanne Proven started to read my blog http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2010/04/16/looking-forward-to-a-headache/ after which they started sending me free parts  Grin

I know friends and am familiar 6 other Provens in this area and everyone's dealings with them are the same, a friend in Dorset operates two 6s and his experiences are similar, great machine, pants to deal with.

Iskra on the other hand have been back to another friends turbine to carry out modifications on it even when it has functioned faultlessly for two winters on Skye and could not be more helpful.

Personally I would stick with Proven after watching the ammeter bouncing against its stop in 100mph winds when all other turbines would be braked, lowered, or turned out of the wind  Grin

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
ecogeorge
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

What about the LE 6000  http://www.leturbines.com/images/252.pdf?id=1266438018

or the LE 3600  http://www.leturbines.com/images/5.pdf?id=1265718791

Both appear to be provisional ,- I guess that means not available yet!

LE Turbines bought out Samrey who imho had a good product range all of similar design . Good simple machines ,quite robust and british made.
Never dealt with LE Turbines -only in Hereford Ivan close to you! but Samrey were a friendly bunch.
rgds George.
Adam

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:02:44 AM »

Thank's for the input so far Grin

I have got permission to connect to the grid but only 5kw, would this rule out the proven 6 ?
camillitech

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »

Morning Adam,

not really sure about weather it would be a problem but out of curiosity what's the price of the machines? I know I could google it but on my connection it would take ages  Grin

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
dhaslam

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »

A lot depends on the normal wind speed.    A lot of the time I have wind speeds between three and five m/s.   There is no  available wind turbine that will generate useful output at that wind speed and also survive occasional  very strong winds.   Also  the more robust of  the smaller wind turbines   cost something like 6,000 per Kw of capacity.   Compare that to PV cost and it doesn't work out favourably.  The only plus over PV is that they  would get more effective hours in winter,  but perhaps not a lot.   

This is why I have started from scratch and am aiming for  about  one sixth of the  cost  per kw compared to commercial versions.    Batteries, inverters etc will be extra of course but they would be needed for PV anyway.  If it doesn't work  I haven't wasted too much. 

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Iain

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »

Adam

"I have got permission to connect to the grid but only 5kw, would this rule out the proven 6 ?"

Why? Surely it depends on the max output setting on the inverter/or the size of the inverter.
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
oh2flywell

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:32:57 PM »

What about the LE 6000  http://www.leturbines.com/images/252.pdf?id=1266438018

or the LE 3600  http://www.leturbines.com/images/5.pdf?id=1265718791

Both appear to be provisional ,- I guess that means not available yet!

LE Turbines bought out Samrey who imho had a good product range all of similar design . Good simple machines ,quite robust and british made.
Never dealt with LE Turbines -only in Hereford Ivan close to you! but Samrey were a friendly bunch.
rgds George.

George - Leading Edge is still run by the same people as Samrey. Basically they have rebranded themselves and increased the range to include the LE-3600 & LE-6000. I should be starting a LE-6000 install soon so they are available - just!
ecogeorge
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:04:36 PM »

Are you sure ? Dave Samuel told me in email he was selling the company to a bigger uk manufacturer.! Is he involved with LE Turbines ? Who are they ? same people but a different name , why change from Samrey?  It's starting to sound a bit dodgy  Sad
Adam

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »

Adam

"I have got permission to connect to the grid but only 5kw, would this rule out the proven 6 ?"

Why? Surely it depends on the max output setting on the inverter/or the size of the inverter.
Iain
Yes i can use use the proven 6, i have turbine services coming out on monday Grin

There is a good chance i could get 1/3 funding but it is unclear whether i would loose my Fit's  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:06:27 PM by Adam » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: