navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling exported electricity on the open market  (Read 8422 times)
Ivan
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »

One of the options available is to either take the guaranteed 3p/kWh for exported electricity or 'sell on the open market'

What does the latter entail? Is there, for example, the option of selling the exported power to a neighbour or family member?
JohnS

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »

I don't know.  I guess some power companies might start paying more if they are not getting enough 'green' energy.  If that happens, there might be some competition which will raise prices.

After all, it is highly profitable for the power companies.  They buy from me at 3p and sell it to my next door neighbours at around 13p.  As it is sold very close to the point of production, distribution losses are minimal compared to transmitting it from some distant power station and then through lots of transformers into the final leg of the distribution network. 

As an aside, I got my FIT application approved by Npower today.  There was a typo in the letter and it said the export rate was 0.3p instead of 3p.  A quick phone call confirmed it was an error and the signed copy went back to them duly amended.  for a moment, I thought they were trying to tell me the open market price was 0.3p.

I don't think Npower have their act together yet.  They say they will sent reminders for meter reading by snail mail and replies are to be the same even though they are happy for internet meter readings for import and gas.

John

2.1kWp solar PV
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:16:47 PM »

To sell to anyone other than your supplier you would have to set up an ESCO - basically become your own Good Energy.

Volunteer moderator
Ivan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:38:11 PM »

What's an ESCO? Is it a practical proposition on a domestic generation scale, or is it only worth doing if you're selling GWh quantities?
guydewdney

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:35:38 AM »

I did read of a 'private wire' arrangement somewhere. Not that I would consider using our 'excess power' to power up a neighbour's lights for example, with a meter to tell us how much he has used. That would be naughty. He wouldn't pay us 10p/unit thus not saving himself a bit (not a lot).....

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »

ESCOs are Energy Service Companies and have been set up in the past to handle district heating schemes and CHP projects, but can cover a wide variety of organisational and project types.

I am currently looking at setting one up here to handle energy projects for our Transition group, working with the EST.

See http://www.lep.org.uk/uploads/lep_making_escos_work.pdf and http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Publication-Download/?oid=180077&aid=443309

Volunteer moderator
knighty

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:01:08 PM »

well.... if any of you guys get this going... and want someone to buy your power..... pm me !

my electricity bill at work averages 1300 a month

we could split the difference... I think i pay about 12p/kw.... if you guys get 3p/kw, meet in the middle at around 8p ?

that is if you're allowed to use the grid to send it of course....
knighty

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:49:11 AM »

actually....

if you guys could set up something like this... as some sort of co-operative....

then could you not sell and buy power from each other at the same rate, effectively making it a net-metering system ?

sell and buy at whatever rate, it doesn't matter, 1p/kwh or 50p/kwh, as long as the price is the same for buying and selling it doesn't matter how much it costs as long as you don't use more than you export ?
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 06:46:47 AM »

Don't forget that in any price you have to add in the amount that the Distribution Company charges for maintaining the infrastructure to get the electricity to you.

(Although, as I type this it occurs to me that this is charged on a per unit basis. This means that if I generate as much as I consume, and therefore my bill is zero, I don't pay any infrastructure charge. Which means that if enough people do it, either 1) those who don't generate are going to have to pay higher electricity bills to cover the cost of distribution or 2) we are all going to have to pay a flat fee for the same thing.)

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
wookey

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »

So, putting aside relatively exotic questions of setting up ESCOs, we all have to choose whether to take the 3p guaranteed rate or to 'negotiate a rate with a power purchaser'. Does anyone have any insight on the relative merits of these choices? I must admit to having little understanding of how the new regime is going to affect spot prices for PV. Nor do I know how much 'negotiation' is actually involved. I'd expect it to be more a matter of taking whatever price is offered by the bigger power companies?

How much do ESCOs pay to DNOs for access to the grid, for example? Is that the nominal differential between how much I might get for one of my kWh sold to someone else, and how much they pay for it? Someone must understand how this all works and whether it is even remotely worthwhile for tiny intermittant power stations to get involved. I suspect that it isn't.

And one other thing. Can you change this choice in the future (e.g when changing suppliers) or is it a one-off decision for the 25 year run. (I thought the latter, but can't find evidence to that effect right now).

Wookey
Countrypaul

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »

This might be a starting point to getting more than the default 3pkwh.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generate-your-own-energy/Sell-your-own-energy/Feed-in-Tariff-Clean-Energy-Cashback-scheme/Search-for-buy-back-tariffs/(size)/all
Iain

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »

Hi
Are you sure? Are these not pre FIT?
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Countrypaul

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »

Not sure, they may well be pre-FIT, but should serve as a starting point.

Has the glubberment fixed the rate for exporting electricity to 3ppkwh, or is that a miniumum that the companies are just reducing things to because the FIT pays a given rate also?
spluger

its why i'm doing it

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »

not sure if this helps but when i was at a power station near a town with a fellas name beginning with B in wales (shh)
i was talking to the controle room operators and they told me that their gas turbine (jet fuel) on demand genorator sells electric at 250 per Mw to the grid. which in his words was expensive but if they ask for it they get it!!

that works out about 25p Kw unless my maths is wrong (it is Monday)

20 x 58mm tubes plumed direct , -10deg south facing 37 deg pitch, 200ltr vented standard tank
Fire Belly fb1 wood burner
2.5kW east west PV 2 x sma 1200
weather compensated boiler
Justme

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »

Yes but thats the dearest elec going, instant need it NOW load balancing stuff. Your regular run of the mill power is much much less & at night its almost free.

The pumped hydro station in Llanberis uses 4 units of night time elec to make 1 unit of peak load elec. Buy it cheap & sell it dear.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: