navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling exported electricity on the open market  (Read 8417 times)
Ivan
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

Ted,

Keep us all informed, if you get anywhere with your cooperative ESCO. I assume we could join, if we wanted - and you allowed us. I can certainly find you a few generators and a few buyers. Via the forum, I bet we could muster quite a large number of each.
wookey

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:18 AM »

So, what is everyone putting on their forms? Can you change your mind later? I was under the impression that this was a once-time choice, but perhaps I am confused about that.

We are exporting a large portion of our power (maybe 70-80% over the year?) so being able to (potentially) get better than 3p/kWh would be nice.

OK. It seems the details are specified in this doc: http://www.decc.gov.uk/Media/viewfile.ashx?FilePath=Consultations\Renewable%20Electricity%20Financial%20Incentives\1_20100216150637_e_@@_LicenceModification.pdf&filetype=4

section 7.1 covers export, and essentially says that you can opt in or out of the export payments from the supplier that is giving you generation payments. If I'm reading the (rather convoluted) licence correctly then you can change this status once per year. So it's not a once-and-forever choice.

So, to summarise: the choice is an annual one, between 3p/kWh from your supplier or selling your electricity on the open market. You change this state by sending an "Export Payment Opt Out Notification" or a "Cancellation of Export Payment Opt Out Notification" to your supplier.

I am not aware of anyone offering to buy microgenerated power from people who have 'opted out', so right now that option doesn't seem very useful. Anyone know different?

Wookey
Moxi

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 08:16:01 AM »

Hi Wookey,

In the paper work it states that you can revise your decision to buy at 3p after the first year so perhaps it will be an annual decision.

Moxi

btw - I opted into the 3p as I didn't think the industry would be ready for small trading
JohnS

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »

Perhaps we should have a mass Navitron opt out.  Then there might be a significant amount of green electricity to sell which would bring scale to the equation of getting proper value for our exports.

John

2.1kWp solar PV
xways

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »

If a co-op type of thing can be set up we would be interested.

Proven 6kw turbine
20kw woodburner supplying hot vwater and CH, fed from coppiced woodland.
Farming with enviroment but not organically.
Green burial ground with sedum roofed log cabin Borehole water
3.9kw pv
ScottMcLean

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »

You have the choice once a year to accept the 3p/kWh or to opt out and negotiate. As it stands, no energy supplier is offering a higher rate and we find it highly unlikely that they will be prepared to do for small-scale installations as the admin alone wipes out any benefit for them. As a company, we will be aggregating our customer's together and be negotiating in MW (and one day GW!) bundles. But this won't be relevant, we don't think, until probably year three at the earliest as we need both volume and for electricity prices to rise to make it worthwhile from the energy suppliers point of view.
wookey

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 01:32:57 AM »

Scott, can you tell us who 'we as a company' is? Are you a solar installer or a power company or something else?

Wookey
ScottMcLean

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »

Sorry, should have said!

"we" is Ownergy - www.ownergy.co.uk

As a company, we select, design, install, manage and finance any renewable energy installation as long as it is eligible under either the FITs or RHI. I should add that we sub-contract all the installations as there are many, many good installers already out there and we don't need to replicate what they are doing!
lightfoot

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »

bike

* Dilbert.JPG (19.29 KB, 424x219 - viewed 337 times.)

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: