navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ex heat pump  (Read 3455 times)
spongebobgreenpants

« on: April 02, 2010, 01:20:55 AM »

I have just ripped out my heat pump as I think I have been sold a pup. Back to oil i'm afraid. I'm left with 600m of ground coil. Anyone know if there is any profitable use for this alternative to it's original purpose?
cheers
spongebob
sunandwindy

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:12:24 PM »

Are you able to give any additional info on your system please?

ecogeorge
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »

I'm sure we can sort it here ?  surrender  - wishes he hadn't said that and retreats to dark cave!
welshboy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:34:49 AM »

I'm sure we can sort it here ?  surrender  - wishes he hadn't said that and retreats to dark cave!
It would add to the information base if the problems could be explained to try and sort it out.There could be all kinds of problems with the installation or method of use requiring tweaks to get it working as it should.
dhaslam

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »

One of the items on the list was lack of  insulation under the underfloor heating, also there were only radiators upstairs.    That would be quite a struggle  for a low temperature heat source.         

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4849.msg47790.html#msg47790

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
spongebobgreenpants

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »

Thanks for the posts,
There were no real problems with the heat pump which is an excellent early model alpha innotech 11kw machine. As Dhaslam rightly remembers the installation was the problem. Basically the machine was inappropriate for a stone built 150 year old farmhouse and the installation was very poor.....cr*p underfloor insulation and over reliance on radiators. I've got myself to blame really for my ignorance at the time of installation. Great to have forums like this to educate oneself!

My question was really to see if anything can be done with the ground loop. I run a small microbrewery and was wondering if there was a low tech way of using it to keep a conditioning room or tanks at a stable temperature perhaps by simply circulating fluid through the ground. (Beer would mature well at the same temperature as the ground and lager would also ferment ideally at this temperature.)

Many thanks
SB
Taffyboy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:59:42 PM »

600m of pipe to clean between brews.... wackoold
I used to whinge when I cleaned the pumps in my pub...

Vermont Castings Vigilant with a 10 acre woodland...Cheap heat doesn't get better...

If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it.
Baz

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »

A ground loop is about 5-10C isn't it. Keep a greenhouse frost free.
knighty

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:19:27 PM »

is that not a bit cold for fermentation etc.. ?

if it is ok, it should be pretty easy to pump water around the loop, and use a heat exchanger to keep the plonk at the right temperature ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: