navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off grid query from OFGEM  (Read 3080 times)
Outtasight

« on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:23 AM »

On my ROCs application they've asked to clarify the installed capacity and declared net capacity figures.

I'd taken the advice of the forum on this originally and put down 3.0kW as that is the generating capacity of the off-grid inverter connected to the batteries.  The argument was that the battery + PV / inverter combo can deliver 3.0kW sustained and without damaging the generator (at least "sustained" until the battery runs down). But they queried this and it appears the figures they are after are the kWp of installed PV feeding the batteries and inverter (1.8kWp).  So I've replied to that effect. 

To complicate matters, I've also replaced some of the cheapo plastic 15W panels listed in the original application with more powerful and long-lived proper BP panels.  But now they might go bananas because this change is after the cut-off date for the transition period for non-MCS systems...

My spider-sense tells me this could get messy facepalm

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Justme

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »

I put the capacity of the array for one & the capacity of the array minus the consumption of the inverter for the other.

That was after advice here so we both asked the same question & got dif advice.

As its off grid will it matter to them?

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Outtasight

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »

I think your version of the truth is what they were after and that's what I've amended the application to.  Total Installed Capacity is now 1.846kW and the DNC is 1.806kW (basically the PV peak input minus the 40W for the inverter and charge controller losses when the power is being "passed through" - i.e. ignoring battery efficiency losses).

Personally, I don't see how it's any of their business to know the capacity of the system as it's not grid tied.  All they need to know is the amount of power consumed on site via my total generation meter.  If I hadn't installed a TGM then they'd want to know the installed capacity as they'd have to "deem" its generated / consumed units based on a guess.  But I have a TGM so I can tell them exactly how many units I need to be paid for.

It's all a bit meaningless as the kWp figure is the unrealistic Standard Test Condition figure and the panels will never put out that much continuously (but for a few seconds on a cold cloudy day they can put out more than the STC power!).

As for changing some of my panels after the cut-off date, if they say I've invalidated the terms of the transition agreement then so be it.  I'm not going to freeze in stone an experimental off-grid system just to guarantee I get the FITs payments.  It looks like I'd never get anything like the 29p per kWh that has been bandied about here.  I checked out Good Energy that has an off grid tariff on their web site and they only offer a paltry 4.5p per kWh...  Hardly worth the effort to take the meter readings and a bit of an insult when E-On imported units cost me 9.1p per kWh Roll Eyes.

http://www.goodenergygeneration.co.uk/sell-your-energy/homegen-offgrid-case-studies.aspx

I'm more determined than ever now to be shot of all these greedy utility monsters and be self-sufficient for energy.  It's a tall order though.  So far my efforts have yielded peaks of 40% of daily requirements but that's on perfect sunny days in May.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:27:02 PM by Outtasight » Logged

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Justme

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »

I think you are confusing the FIT total gen rate (41p or 29p) and the exported rate of 3p normally but Goodenergy is offering more I think.

You would only get the 41p/29p rate.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print