navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMA SBU2200 Sunny Backup System in UK  (Read 8005 times)
chunkyhampton

« on: June 21, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »

Hi,
Has anyone here used an SMA SBU2200 Sunny Backup system in the UK?
Its a bit different from the Sunny Island system - its for mainly grid connect systems which need a bit of UPS type back-up.
Specifically I am wondering about the regulations. The data sheet says that it complies with the German regs regarding disconnection from supply, but what about in the UK?
Would it need an additional G59 relay to ensure disconnection or would the disconnect incorporated into the device satisfy the UK DNOs?
It obviously must not back-feed to the grid when the grid is down/switched off, but I can see no G83 or G59 conformity certification.....
Any help or info would be appreciated.
Cheers,

Matt
Billy
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »

Hi Matt

In theory it would not be connected to the grid as it would only come on when the grid failed.  You would need to auto disconnect when the grid fired up again. This should all be in the Sunny like it is in my Victron (no output to grid).  When my grid fails or is disconnected for moving I have a seamless change over to the batteries and vice versa.

Billy

extrahappy
chunkyhampton

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »

Thanks.

Just a bit of further info for anyones interest...
Just been to Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) where they have got on-line their sunny backup system (6 x sunny back up inverters three-phase system totalling 60kW peak output, so a bit bigger than the one I need to install).

At present the SBU2200 sunny backup does not have G83/1 approval. Hence it should have a G59/1 protection relay to ensure that it will cut-out when the grid is switched off as there is the very small probability that in certain situations it could back-feed to the grid.
BUT I have heard that the unit is currently undergoing G83/1 approval and when this happens then the unit can be installed as the usual grid-tie inverters are.
As far as I know the system at CAT is the first UK sunny backup installation, unless anyone knows any different?....

Matt
stephendv

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »

In theory it would not be connected to the grid as it would only come on when the grid failed. 

Nah, the SBU works differently as it's meant to be fed by a grid tied sunny boy connected to it's AC OUTPUT - this setup is meant to feed into the grid.  When the grid goes down, the transfer switch disconnects the grid and leaves the AC out of the SBU connected to the SB.
I think Victron have a similar solution for connecting a grid tie inverter to a multiplus: http://www.victronenergy.com/solar/solar-switch/  But you will need an additional dump load.

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
stephendv

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »

Matt,

The SBU is a slightly modified sunny island (only firmware AFAIK!) and an additional auto transfer switch and additional Hoppecke OPzV batteries (Gel).  The real novel part of it is the auto-transfer switch.  If that's not UK certified, then you might as well use a sunny island + your own batteries and an approved transfer switch.  Perhaps the Victron switch above is approved?

chunkyhampton

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 04:25:19 PM »

Ah...
Thanks for the info. I didn't realise its just the same thing with different software, but should have realised.

In case anyone would like a bit more background I have done a bit more searching (probably where I should have started) and found these overview sheets:

Sunny Island System
http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/6251/SI2012_2224-DEN102020.pdf

Sunny Backup System
http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/7919/SBACKUPSMALL-DEN102320.pdf

I'm just asking SMA now if they have a timescale for G83 approval for the sunny backup, although, as you say, it would need to be the automatic switch box and inverter combination which would need to be approved?....

Cheers,
Matt
stephendv

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »

I'm just asking SMA now if they have a timescale for G83 approval for the sunny backup, although, as you say, it would need to be the automatic switch box and inverter combination which would need to be approved?....

The Sunny Backup is a complete package, i.e. Sunny island + switch box + batteries.  I don't believe they'll split any of these components out. So if "Sunny backup" is approved, it's referring to the whole shebang.

rogeriko

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

I enquired about this and it is possible to buy just the inverters and switch box and use your own batteries because the ones provided are small. E-Mail received as follows

Dear Mr Roger,

I am still waiting to hear from our transport company regarding 
transport costs to Greece! In the meantime I can give you a quote for 
the Sunny Backup Medium and Sunny Backup Large, WITHOUT batteries!

Sunny Backup Medium: 4.899,90 EURO
Sunny Backup Large: 11.502,09 EURO

(Prices include VAT.)

I will send you the transport costs as soon as I receive them!

Warm regards,

Alexandra Hörlberger
solarshop-europe.net / solarshop.net

Prices are from 6 months ago

udalep

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 09:58:47 AM »

Hi,

Do you know if the Sunny Boy Backup is now G83/1 certified?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: