navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery Temperatures  (Read 2246 times)
Amy

Karma Queen !

« on: June 27, 2010, 01:07:25 PM »

What is the ideal temp range for open wet lead batteries.
Im concerned about the temperature in the engine room when engine is running and might need to build an insulated box with a fan

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
Billy
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »

Hi Ames,

In the summer or should I say when the sun is out and the engine is working hard my machinery space runs up to around 30C air temperature.  Particularly when I turn the engine off as I use the intake air as space cooler before the engine gobbles it.  I use fan for ventilation to get rid of excess heat.  Ex scrappy vehicle fans are brilliant.  Your new kit should have temp sensors to compensate for differing heat in the room.  The floor will always be water cooled and remain fairly cool, leastwise mine does.

Billy.

extrahappy
Kombi

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

Self discharge increase with temperature but capacity reduces with cold. So it depends whether your batteries will be left standing for long period or not.
Justme

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 01:56:22 PM »

capacity reduces with cold.

Capacity stays the same, the ability to convert the stored chemical power into usable electric falls / slows down. As does the ability to recharge.

The power is still there you just cant get it till it warms up.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Kombi

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »

You are right. I stand corrected although the result is the same in the end.  Grin
davebodger

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »

Amy,
       you need to check with your particular battery manufacturer to be absolutely sure, but I think they base their figures around 25C.
For every 10C above this you halve the life of the batteries.
This is not quite as bad as it sounds as batteries have great thermal inertia and it takes a big battery a long time to get its internal temperature up through high air temperature (quicker if you work it hard).
So after a hot day you often have a cool(er) night which gives it a chance to cool down a bit.

I found this battery primer from Uncle Sam is quite good and has diagrams and graphs.  Smiley
http://www.hss.energy.gov/nuclearsafety/ns/techstds/standard/hdbk1084/hdbk1084.pdf
Check out the "Avoid High Temperatures" bit on page 34.  surrender

Soladin Grid-Tie 400Wp tracker in London NW5.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: