navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Mounted Turbine  (Read 2621 times)
adri

« on: July 18, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »

Hi

Anyone know of any quiet/quieter turbines that might be acceptable to neighbours as regards noise if they were placed on a roof top? 

TIA

Nick
martin

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »

THEY DO NOT WORK! (when roof-mounted) - see "chocolate teapot" under a site search!  hysteria

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
KLD

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »

Martin,  onpatrol

1hour 20min! Have you been out catching mackerels again? 

Klaus
 extrahappy
martin

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:10:34 PM »

More like "NOT catching mackerel" unfortunately Roll Eyes
Bit too windy today, but recieved good reports that they're "in" over near Newhaven, so hopefully soon! extrahappy

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
camillitech

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 03:20:09 PM »

No mackerel here either  Cry

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
adri

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »

Thanks for the replies and fish reports.

Does the chocolate teapot effect apply to all roofs no matter where they are?  We live at the top of a hill in a small village.  Would that improve matters?  I suppose I could get hold of anenometer gear and do some testing but there'd be no point unless I can find a 'quiet' turbine, hence the question.

So, any quiet ones out there?

TIA

Nick
martin

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »

That was the reason I suggested the site search-the subject was "done to death" at the height of the roof-mounted chocolate teapot fad........
Had you done the search, what you would have found is that (in brief) - the likelihood of such a turbine EVER paying back is around nil, due mostly to the effect of turbulence induced by the building upon which it is mounted (even at the top of a windy hill!)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVo0WvuX7K0&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&amp;amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WVo0WvuX7K0&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&amp;amp;fs=1</a>

What you would have also found is that the bearing noise transmitted into the structure can render sleep or rational thought impossible, one disgruntled Swindlesave user reported that in a blow his stair rods rattled! Roll Eyes

As regards neighbours, I am one of the greatest proponents and supporters of wind (when done properly)- if I lived in a property attached to someone's that was seeking consent for a roof mounted chocolate teapot, I would resist most strenuously- I enjoy my sleep, and I really do not want to wake up to find the damn thing (along with a large chunk of chimney) in my cornflakes one morning..........

Billy
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »

Hi adri,

In the right place they can work, how well is another matter.  Mine is fine for most of the time but there is turbulence from one direction from adjacent building (50metres away) which does affect the output by, I reckon, 50%.  Very hard to measure accurately on an ad hoc basis but the amps in does seem to be significantly less for a given wind speed.

Noise, ahem, I know quite a bit about noise having suffered the torment of the standard Navi banshee blades before I went for the silent ones!  The noise for your neighbours can be nothing to the noise you may suffer indoors.  Mrs B simply refused to continue to wear her supplied Peltors and spat her dummy out, big time due to transmitted noise.  Lip reading is essential to understand the TV, radio, forget it.

In a blow anything that wind hits will cause some sort of noise, trees, telegraph poles, wind turbines, blah blah.  Three Rutland 913s have recently sprouted on boats here and the sound unless it is more than force 6 is not really noticeable above ambient noise.  Above that is irrelevant because of the noise through all the rigging makes turbine noise fade into insignificance.  Samrey Wren is quite quiet and they used to do a building mount kit for them.  IMO for house mounting, anything over 1000mm dia is too big, from both wind and electro/mechanical noise.  Any bigger and the loads involved will make your house fall down too.

But it is all down to location, location, location and the timely use of said anemometer to monitor the wind would be a good idea.  Even a turbine on the top of a house on the top of a hill will be affected by updrafts and swirl from the house it is sitting on, let alone any adjacent buildings.  In my opinion, the turbine would be better sited as far away as possible from any structure to gain maximum advantage.

Billy

extrahappy
martin

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »

Well summarised - I used to own a Samrey Wren, and will confirm that it is probably one of the quietest turbines made - I had it mounted on a scaffold pole and took it round festivals as a demo/to power my caravan - if you rested your ear against that pole when it was revolving, the bearing noise was horrendous (and there was nothing wrong with the bearings).
As a practical point, I soon learnt that faffing about with that turbine for festivals was a total waste of time - in the summer, a 20w pv panel "did the job" reliably and quietly with nil hassle........... Wink
I'd still reiterate that I've NEVER found anyone who had a roof-mounted turbine that actually paid back/justified the embodied energy.............

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: