navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am building a bike generator.  (Read 5198 times)
daftlad

« on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:59 PM »

Following my recent trip to the greenman festival where I set up a bike powered cinema and sound system and a mobile phone charging station, and some other things I would like to build a bike generator but don't really want to spend much money on it because it is only really for fun.

It would consist of a stand, 250watt scooter motor and some kind of regulation.
There seems to be 3 main ways of providing voltage regulation (that the bike generator community use)
1 Some kind of power supply circuit.
2 A battery charging circuit with a battery.
3 A big car audio capacitor with a dump load circuit (like off a wind turbine).

There is something good about having the interactivity of having to peddle harder if the music (or whatever) is louder or brighter so I have decided against the battery option.
So that leaves the power supply option which is less efficient than the capacitor and does not cope well with sudden increases in load.
Last but not least the capacitor option, I prefer this option because it smooths out the peddling to variable loads and the dump only kicks in if your voltage goes too high which it won't if you keep an eye on the volt meter, and it is very efficient.
So my questions to you lot are.
1 Could I regulate any other way, say a solar controller.
2 Where can I find a cheap as chips dump load circuit? I was planning on using car or truck relays to dump the load into some halogen lamps, I guess I will set it to dump at about 15 volts.
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
ta ta

Oh, typically produces 50 ish watts but obviously can produce a lot more.

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
petebaxt

my bike

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »

hi there
i built my own bike and had a lot of fun doing it:)
if your going to build one ! make it worth while building it or it will be left in the corner collecting dust.
here is my site of my bike.
feel free to use anything of it to help build your bike .

http://www.marpet2003.com/marpet/Renewable%20energy%20exercise%20bike.htm

pete
johnrae

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »

2 points

1) Have you thought about regulating your speed as a simple output controller - after all there is the universe's most powerful computer driving those pedals - or is there ?

2) The complexity and material used to engineer the bike shown is wonderful but has nothing to do with "green" energy.  It'd probably take years of biking to justify the material used and carbon generated in building the thing.  Fun and ingenious - yes   green - no

Baz

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »

If you are using a standard alternator off a scooter I assume it is the same as a car one on ly smaller. In which case it will have a regulator built in. As you are at teh scrappy to get the alternator get the little battery too. Then put an ammeter in between and run your ipod or whatever off the alternator output. The ammeter shows only hte energy going in or out of the battery so rather like a grid connected PV you can see when generation excedes usage and either turn the volume down or pedal faster.
This could catch on . Make it illegal for a teenager to have a mains or battery powered anything and voila - fewer fat kids.
daftlad

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »

Pete, Interesting stuff and looks like a good quality job, oh and welcome to the forum.
John, People can't be trusted especially when they are full of beer and surely a bike generator is better than a petrol one?
Baz, I don't mean a scooter alternator, I mean a mobility scooter permanent magnet motor, I like your Idea of having a current meter showing charge or discharge, cheaper than a audio capacitor (maybe).
The problem with teenagers on bike generators is that one bike can make enough power to make some pretty loud music.
ta ta

spluger

its why i'm doing it

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »

what would be good is if you could grid tie it
now i know these need 5 mins or so before they pump into the grid but there must be a way of using a cheap inverter to pump your few watts into your house (unlikely to make the meter spin backwards)
it might ofset that mobile phone charger lol

maybe some bright spark will make a consumer version and sell it in Argus flyingpig

think of the advertising spiel PEDAL TO GO GREEN

and the false claims on the shopping channels

"Lose the flab and gain úPOUNDS" stir

David

20 x 58mm tubes plumed direct , -10deg south facing 37 deg pitch, 200ltr vented standard tank
Fire Belly fb1 wood burner
2.5kW east west PV 2 x sma 1200
weather compensated boiler
daftlad

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »

it might ofset that mobile phone charger lol

The mobile phone charging station I built made 2 grand for charity, 2 quid for 30 minutes charge, we had 40 phones plugged in at one point!
ta ta

petebaxt

my bike

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »

hi
have you put the permanent magnet motor your going to use on a drill to see what output your going to get at RPM,s
that will give you some idea of how fast you will have to peddle Grin
pete

pete
daftlad

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »

hi
have you put the permanent magnet motor your going to use on a drill to see what output your going to get at RPM,s
that will give you some idea of how fast you will have to peddle Grin
pete

I haven't purchased it yet, I am having to spend time on ebay, grrrrr.
I am just going for the same type that we used at the festival.
How many watts do you get out of your generator, I wonder about the losses between the tyre and the motor using my design (keeping the bike intact and driving the generator off the tyre onto a skateboard wheel)?
The stand is now made and I have purchased an 1 farad capacitor, so getting there.
ta ta
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:45:17 AM by daftlad » Logged

petebaxt

my bike

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »

i get an average of 7 to 8 amps at 13 volts =90 to  100 watts
but the bike wheel (generator) is only spinning at around 100 RPM slow revving that Nice easy peddling  Grin
it will put out alot more power as i did get it up to 20 amps = 260 watts at 13 volts
but my legs soon gave out lol not fit enough yet Grin

remember that the less friction is more power you Will get more drag off the tyre
so less power output
i looked over the internet and see lots of designs of bike generators using the same thing wheel on wheel and Tyre removed and belt on rim all creating drag

i just been looking at the motors that you planning to buy
don't be fooled  that just because it says 350w that what your going to get out of it when you spin it ! your not
you be lucky to get 1/4 of that
i tried using  a p m motor once rated at 230v dc 900w and on spinning it only got 5 amp at 12.7 volt at 2500rpm

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:12:56 PM by petebaxt » Logged

pete
oliver90owner

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »

Petebaxt,

One very serious omission.

Your alternator output terminals need protecting!  In the case of something going open circuit the voltage at the alternator output could rise very considerably and constitute a serious hazard.

Even more so if someone were to copy your plans and make one at 48 volts!

These plans look good for a bike.  Hugh Piggot's wind turbine site might be a good site to get standard ideas from.

Regards, RAB
petebaxt

my bike

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »

Oliver

just to let you know that the alternator output terminals have been  protected
i just didn't show the pic on site
they was left open just for testing output
they are isolated now

pete
daftlad

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:21:51 PM »

I have made my first elastictrickery, But........
I have salvaged an old dynamo off a early 70's fiat 500 and I can produce 50 watt easily and 85 if I peddle quite a lot harder. The dynamo requires 1.5 amps for the field winding, that's 18 watts, currently that is being got from the car battery. I could wire up a battery arrangement and charge the battery from the dynamo but 18 watts out of 50 seems like a lot so I think I will have to get some kind of permanent magnet motor/ generator.

I kind of fancy making some kind pedal powered sound system using a car audio amplifier and putting it in my bike trailer and taking it round some festivals, who knows.
ta ta

* bike generator.JPG (117.85 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 571 times.)

desperate
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »

Oi Oi

I just noticed it doesn't have an eart......................arrrggh, heeelllpp mmnnnnfft ................groan wimper wimper...............

Dsep Wink
petebaxt

my bike

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »

yes permanent magnet motor or generator is the only way togo as you will wast to much power feeding the field winding

you could try taking out the field winding out that dynamo and relace them with magnets it should do the same thing

pete
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: