navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my new infinitum desulphator  (Read 6992 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: September 04, 2010, 08:35:06 PM »

sob sob,, Cry..
      i got caught, Embarrassedyup Embarrassed,, about a month ago i saw this yoke in a mag,it was the elusive desulphator which could work it magic on any old battery,why,,goodness it could bring hopeless cases back to life.i got excited and asked herself to buy it,ring up now and buy it,,,,not ofen i get excited so she was tres oblidging and rang the man,he said that they were sold out but would have another thousand over from america in two weeks time, we ordered,,we paid and in due time the fantastic, renowned and incredible desulphator was mine.when it landed i knew there was something not quite right,well,,well i was expecting something the size of a large loaf of bread,instead i got something the size of a box of matches.i held it dearly in my hand,looked out the window ,down the garden to where our forklift babies were sleeping and looked again at our new desulphator,,,the first two big long sentences in the leaflet explained why it would not work, like they saved you the bother of going out and turning over old friends(batteries) trying to annoy them or wake them up with this piddling effort.its back in its little box and next christmas it will make a nice pressy for that friend who gave me the heavy duty 48charger which hurts me every time i go near it.
    it says it only works with the right charger set to handle the correct amp hour,only works with the charger on, only works on fresh batteries,, i remember the bedtime story i used to tell my daughter all those years ago,, " stone soup"  the fantastic ,incredible "infinitum desulphator" is a clear case of stone soup.. Cry Embarrassed Shocked  hysteria hysteria hysteria
                                         biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:56:38 PM »

Awww  poor Biff. Thats so sad.

Can you tell me the story about stone soup please?

Seriously, if it has such narrow parameters as to what it can do, what does it actually do?

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
rogeriko

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »

I think this is probably better I am going to buy one to try

http://www.courtiestown.co.uk/batteries/batterydesulfators/batterydesulfators.htm

Iain

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »

Hi
Sterling power do one as well, most of their other gear seems quite good so might be worth a look.
http://www.sterling-power.com/products-battref.htm
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
RichardKB

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:56:18 PM »

I built one and to be honest have never been able to recover any batteries.

But they may all have been beyond further use.

It was putting a large pulse into the battery I have a scope to verify the signals, but as above nothing came out of its use.

Rich
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:06:29 AM »

to be honest amy, i did not connect it up, the little fine leads would not be long enough to reach the 2 terminals in one of my 100ahs,plus the fact i suspect it might be a squack box which gives out large volumes of insane laughter which could only be switched off by smashing the thing.im playing it safe.i still have my dignity you know. signofcross
 as for stone soup,the condensed condensed condensed version,,
     long ago in old tir noggin there lived a king who was bored to bits,he had a beautifull daughter whom he wanted to marry off but first off all he had to have a competion to see who could cook the finest soup in the kingdom.the winner could have his daughters hand and the rest of her. what the compeditors did not know,was that the unlucky loosers would loose their heads if the king refused to taste it. horror
 then there was peter plum who had just arrive down from the hills,poor, bedraggled  and broke, the son of a poor peasent farmer,with nothing in his pockets but a big round shore pebble or stone which he carried with him for comfort. yesh u guessed,,,peter wanted to have a go and put his name down,
    the king was in a foul mood, amid the steaming broths and veggies he screamed ,,off with his head,, off with his head, they have nothing but silly usless common  soup. then it was peter,s turn, and when the king looked into his pot,he saw nothing but a large round shiney pebble. he was flabbergasted and asked peter what he was cooking to which peter replied,stone soup yer majesty,it takes a lot longer than the rest but it is well worth the wait. in truth he was looking for a gettaway but the king persisted and peter had to add the veggies one by one to taste the stone soup ,,he said.so peter put the stone in his pocket,the king enjoyed the soup and peter had to make do with roasted nuts,the rest is fairytale, hysteria hysteria

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Billy
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »

When all the crud that falls to the bottom starts to hit the bottom of the plates it's a bit late.  Better batteries have deeper crud collectors.  We have had limited success with the Sterling, it all depends how bad the batteries were in the first place.  Some came up but the capacity was never brilliant.  Mind, this was on batteries that others had discarded and before they went for scrap.

Billy

Grin Grin Grin
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »

I remember stone soup ,as told by the great John Hurt

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
Billy
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 07:33:54 PM »

Most excellent Stuey

Grin Grin Grin
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »

to be honest amy, as for stone soup,the condensed condensed condensed version,,

Hmmmm, Both the story and the soup sound like an aquired taste.   hysteria

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
Outtasight

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:38:29 PM »

The best part of the joke is that if you use a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) charger, you already have a "desulphator".  All that is required to prevent permanent sulphation is to make sure the batteries are fully charged. 

Most dead sulphated batteries are because of chronic undercharging (over months) by chargers that are either set to too low a Voltage or don't hold it there for long enough to actually finish the absorption process.  Old skool "on-off" chargers are the worst, only holding the cells at around 60% charge because they cut off immediately when reaching their preset top Voltage.  On-off chargers can be made to work but they have to have a much narrower band of Voltage between on and off and have to cycle on and off much more quickly and be temperature compensated.  This is how PWM chargers essentially came into being. They switch on and off thousands of times a second and control the battery Voltage by varying the "on" time compared to the "off" time (that's all Pulse Width Modulation is). This keeps the battery average charge level maintained much closer to 100%, slowing down the process of sulphation.

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: