navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lubuntu rocks!  (Read 31111 times)
martin

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »

give Lubuntu a go, it revived 'er indoors ancient Toshiba - just download the iso file, burn to cd, use the "try it first" option, then go for a permanent install, OR there's Puppy linux....... http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm - just burn a copy to a cd, fiddle around with your laptop to make it boot from cd , or there's always "wubi" - http://wubi-installer.org/ - best of luck!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
thegreenman

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »

Will try lubuntu, I looked a puppy previously not sure if that was the version you could just boot without an install but I didn't really get on with it.

Go penguins linux

Hmm, me thinks I need some new blank discs Embarrassed

if my solar powered fan is turning it means it's sunny outside, if it not turning and it's sunny my fan is broken, please contact your administrator
thegreenman

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »

Just an update. Couldn't get Lubuntu to work on my dell inspiron 2200.

Eventually I found Slitaz works with this model.

I did get Lubuntu working on my mums old Laptop and to be quite honest it rocks. Sure beats Vista.

My only problem being uber new to Linux how do you install software. Seems like a daft question but I tried downloading some software and tried installing via a cmd screen but it doesn't seem to work.

if my solar powered fan is turning it means it's sunny outside, if it not turning and it's sunny my fan is broken, please contact your administrator
martin

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 03:13:06 PM »

Ubuntu (the heavier weight version) is just point and click - in Lubuntu, you use "synaptic" - chapter and verse here  - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

Or you could be really flash and try using a terminal  - type in "sudo apt-get install digikam" (or whatever the programme is), enter your password when prompted, and prepare to be amazed! Wink

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »

Unicode has a SNOWMAN character.  Sorry, it's totally irrelevant but I just had to share it and this seemed the least inappropriate place without activating another thread to no good purpose.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:22:55 PM by EccentricAnomaly » Logged
thegreenman

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »

Have been using terminal but not getting very far. Will take a look at the link. Just maybe some learning will occur hysteria

wyleu
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 10:01:35 PM »

A quick and very basic guide to the wonders of a **ix terminal session.

Firstly it's a good idea to recognise that there are several different versions of linux terminal, so one of the first requirements is to identify the specific terminal you are using. People will talk about C Shell, Bash Tsh and one or two others but there is a quick way...

Code:
ps | grep "$$"

which will probably say something like:
Code:
9458 pts/0    00:00:00 bash

Which means I'm running a bash shell. Mostly shells are fairly similar but there are differences particularly when setting Environment variables which are a venerated settings that lots of Linux progs use for all kinds of things...

So remember which shell you have and  check that it's the same as examples you are copy and pasting cos otherwise life will appear rather irritating.

For the moment we will ignore the wierd and wonderful words like ps ( list running processes for the current user) and grep ( look for specific patterns ) and | (upper case above \, next to Z. A pipe which allows the output of one command, the ps in the above case and stick it into the input of the grep command looking for the current running process id.

Lets try a different one:-
Code:
echo "$$"

Code:

here echo will just do precisely what it says it echos the text it finds $$ has a special meaning; the current running process id which is the number that grep looks for in the ps command... Which is how the line above works.

Try ps on its own:
Code:
ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 9458 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
 9545 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

You can see that ps is itself a process running when the ps process runs ( introspective or what???).

But you can get all the processes that linu is running that you can access:

Code:
ps -e

I'll leave that one to you but take a little time to look at it and see how much stuff is actually chugging away.

now there is the important issue of who you are:
Code:
whoami
chris

very handy when you install stuff cos in the linux world it pays to know which identity you are running things as. Mostly you run things as yourself but sadly since a lot of stuff that you need to do in the early stages requires superuser or root permissions you will need to change back and forward. It's very easy to install something as root which you don't have access to as your normal user mode and confusion abounds.

So how do you become godlike well the command sudo is becoming pretty standard which allows you to become  root for one command.
Code:
chris@dellap:~$ whoami
chris
chris@dellap:~$ sudo whoami
[sudo] password for chris:      ....  I mistyped my password
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for chris:      .....Got it right this time...
root
chris
chris@dellap:~$

if you want to be root for a few commands then
Code:
sudo su

will make you root for a while, but get into habit of using Control D ( Hold down the Control Key and press the letter d often shortened to ^D) to turn back into your normal self as soon as you can. You'll end up wiping out something important if you don't. Notice there is a timeout on sudo and you don't always need to retype the password if the machine is set to allow retypes within a certain time. Saves a lot of mucking around that one.

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ sudo su
root@dellap:/home/chris# whoami
root
root@dellap:/home/chris# whoami
root
root@dellap:/home/chris# echo 'About to press Control D'
About to press Control D
root@dellap:/home/chris# exit
chris

So that's some useful stuff to make sure who you are and what you are running, but where are yiu in the directory structure?

time for
Code:
chris@dellap:~$ pwd
/home/chris

I'm in my home directory, which is a fairly good place to be. This is where you get dumped when you login in ( it's all configurable)

So the next command is finding out what's in this directory.

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ ls
Agenda 12-01-10 meeting.doc  dist-packages               localifs.pyc       Sites
all_interfaces.py            Documents                   MIDI               sound_fonts
all_interfaces.pyc           Downloads                   MiniAxon_files     Templates
argouml.jar                  drag.py                     MiniAxon.html      #ubuntu_files
autosave                     eagle                       Music              #ubuntu.html
Azureus Downloads            EARTH comparative size.gif  openofice_dowload  Untitled.wav
bouncing_ball.py             gaudete.rg                  Parish_Councils    Videos
charzilla_files              instrument.xiz              Pictures           VIDLE
charzilla.html               Kamaelia                    Playlist.pls       wheelock school.doc
Consious.odt                 label.py                    Public             wheelock school.odt
Databases                    limits.conf                 Roland-JV-1010.gz  workspace
default.rgt                  lmms                        rosegarden         wyleu.jpg
Desktop                      localifs.py                 Rosegarden

It just gives you the names, which when you think about the pipe command is actually quite useful cos those clever shells can do things with lists of stuff, but from the perspective of us humans that's not massively useful...

So we use flags which we've seen already on the ps command with the -e

We can do the same with ls

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ ls -l
total 5912
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris   45056 2010-01-09 11:06 Agenda 12-01-10 meeting.doc
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris     537 2010-12-05 10:29 all_interfaces.py
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris     841 2010-12-05 10:30 all_interfaces.pyc
-rwxr-xr-x   1 chris chris 3495369 2010-07-08 21:02 argouml.jar
drwxr-xr-x   2 chris chris    4096 2010-03-07 20:45 autosave
drwxr-xr-x   9 chris chris    4096 2010-12-02 16:11 Azureus Downloads
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris     398 2010-05-30 10:10 bouncing_ball.py
drwxr-xr-x   2 chris chris    4096 2010-06-04 12:51 charzilla_files
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris   28538 2010-06-04 12:51 charzilla.html
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris   11564 2010-10-03 11:57 Consious.odt
drwxr-xr-x   2 chris chris    4096 2010-12-20 18:42 Databases

So that tells you a bit more.

The sort command can then be used to sort by a specific column (column 8 in this case) to sort by file name.

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ ls -l | sort -k 8
total 5912
-rwxr-xr-x   1 chris chris 3495369 2010-07-08 21:02 argouml.jar
drwxr-xr-x   2 chris chris    4096 2010-03-07 20:45 autosave
drwxr-xr-x   9 chris chris    4096 2010-12-02 16:11 Azureus Downloads
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris     398 2010-05-30 10:10 bouncing_ball.py
drwxr-xr-x   2 chris chris    4096 2010-06-04 12:51 charzilla_files
-rw-r--r--   1 chris chris   28538 2010-06-04 12:51 charzilla.html

another flag for ls   is ls -a

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ ls -a
.                            Documents                   .jamin                .qt
..                           Downloads                   .java                 .recently-used
.adobe                       drag.py                     Kamaelia              .recently-used.xbel
Agenda 12-01-10 meeting.doc  .dunerc                     .kde                  Roland-JV-1010.gz
all_interfaces.py            eagle                       label.py              rosegarden
all_interfaces.pyc           .eagle                      limits.conf           Rosegarden
.appcfg_cookies              .eaglerc                    lmms                  .seq24rc
.appcfg_nag                  EARTH comparative size.gif  .lmmsrc.xml           Sites
.argouml                     .eclipse                    .local                .sooperlooper
argouml.jar                  .ecryptfs                   localifs.py           sound_fonts
.audacity-data               .esd_auth                   localifs.pyc          .ssh
autosave                     .fltk                       .macromedia           .subversion
.azureus                     .fontconfig                 MIDI                  .sudo_as_admin_successful
Azureus Downloads            gaudete.rg                  MiniAxon_files        Templates
.bash_history                .gconf                      MiniAxon.html         .themes
.bash_logout                 .gconfd                     .mozilla              .thumbnails
.bashrc            

This show ALL files and directories including the ones that start with . which are normally ignored by ls. So for instance you can see the file .bashrc which holds all the details of how the bash shell is configured when you run a bash shell.

So what's in this file?

you can find out with
Code:
chris@dellap:~$ cat .bashrc
# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc)
# for examples

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
[ -z "$PS1" ] && return

# don't put duplicate lines in the history. See bash(1) for more options
# don't overwrite GNU Midnight Commander's setting of `ignorespace'.
HISTCONTROL=$HISTCONTROL${HISTCONTROL+,}ignoredups
# ... or force ignoredups and ignorespace
HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth

# append to the history file, don't overwrite it
shopt -s histappend

Don't worry cat just reads the file so it wont do anything damaging.

you can combine other switches as well so ls -la

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ ls -la
total 6564
drwx------  75 chris chris   20480 2010-12-20 21:35 .
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  root     4096 2009-11-22 15:34 ..
drwx------   3 chris chris    4096 2009-11-22 16:34 .adobe

notice those two first directories

. means the directory your currently in.

so cd .   ( the change directory command ) puts you back exactl where you were.
Code:
/home/chris
chris@dellap:~$ cd .
/home/chris

This is actually more useful than it may seem because for security reasons the current directory isn't on the path of runable directories so you can find yourself trying to run a programme which you know is on the directory but you can't seem to find it. You put a path to the file in and it gets a little closer not the change in error message below.

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ all_interfaces.py
all_interfaces.py: command not found
chris@dellap:~$ ./all_interfaces.py
bash: ./all_interfaces.py: Permission denied
chris@dellap:~$ ls all_interfaces.py
all_interfaces.py
chris@dellap:~$ ls -las all_interfaces.py
12 -rw-r--r-- 1 chris chris 537 2010-12-05 10:29 all_interfaces.py

You can now see that it found the command but didn't run it because the permissions where not set correctly.
So we add the executable bit for current user ( Don't ask, it's another help sheet...)

Code:
chmod 744 all_interfaces.py

chris@dellap:~$ ls -al all_interfaces.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 chris chris 685 2010-12-20 21:57 all_interfaces.py
chris@dellap:~$ ./all_interfaces.py
list all the interfaces...
['lo', 'eth0']

..And now it runs...!!

the .. is the parent directory so

Code:
/home/chris
chris@dellap:~$ cd ..
chris@dellap:/home$ pwd
/home
chris@dellap:/home$ ls
chris
chris@dellap:/home$ ls -las
total 32
 4 drwxr-xr-x  4 root  root   4096 2009-11-22 15:34 .
 4 drwxr-xr-x 22 root  root   4096 2010-12-20 09:09 ..
20 drwx------ 75 chris chris 20480 2010-12-20 21:58 chris
 4 drwxr-xr-x  3 root  root   4096 2009-11-22 15:34 .ecryptfs
chris@dellap:/home$

and cd ~ takes you to your home directory, which is, of course, where we've just come from, but is a life saver when you are stuck in some far flung directory and want to get home....
Code:
chris@dellap:/home$ pwd
/home
chris@dellap:/home$ cd ~
/home/chris

Hope this helps a bit...

Oh and that python script....

Code:
chris@dellap:~$ cat all_interfaces.py
#!/usr/bin/env python

""" A list of interfaces"""

import socket
import fcntl
import struct
import array

def all_interfaces():
    max_possible = 128  # arbitrary. raise if needed.
    bytes = max_possible * 32
    s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
    names = array.array('B', '\0' * bytes)
    outbytes = struct.unpack('iL', fcntl.ioctl(
        s.fileno(),
        0x8912,  # SIOCGIFCONF
        struct.pack('iL', bytes, names.buffer_info()[0])
    ))[0]
    namestr = names.tostring()
    return [namestr[i:i+32].split('\0', 1)[0] for i in range(0, outbytes, 32)]

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print 'list all the interfaces...'
    print all_interfaces()

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:10:43 PM by wyleu » Logged
titan

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 10:58:01 PM »

Sorry but as a long time Linux user I think this sort of post just puts people off using Linux, most of the commands you have demonstrated will never be used or needed by anyone running most distros.  The only shells most Linux distros use are bash and more recently dash but a user doesn’t need to know what shell they is using. As for whois you just need to look at  the $ or# prompt to see if you are root or user.

For thegreenman I don't know if Lubuntu has synaptic installed as it is trying to be a lightweight Distro using LXDE as the desktop so keeps the number of applications low especially ones from either of the two main desktops Gnome or KDE as it will drag in loads of additional libraries and you may as well be using a full size desktop. To use the example  of Digikam it will also install all the core KDE and Qt libs and other applications. Unless you have an ancient machine you will be better off with a less lean Distro if you want to run many applications above those installed.

Code:
# apt-cache depends digikam
digikam
  Depends: kdebase-runtime
  Depends: kdepim-runtime
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libgcc1
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libgphoto2-2
  Depends: libgphoto2-port0
  Depends: libjasper1
  Depends: libjpeg62
  Depends: libkabc4
  Depends: libkdcraw8
  Depends: libkde3support4
  Depends: libkdecore5
  Depends: libkdeui5
  Depends: libkexiv2-8
  Depends: libkfile4
  Depends: libkhtml5
  Depends: libkio5
  Depends: libkipi7
  Depends: libkjsapi4
  Depends: libknotifyconfig4
  Depends: libkparts4
  Depends: libkresources4
  Depends: libkutils4
  Depends: liblcms1
  Depends: liblensfun0
  Depends: liblqr-1-0
  Depends: libmarblewidget4
  Depends: libphonon4
  Depends: libpng12-0
  Depends: libqt4-dbus
  Depends: libqt4-network
  Depends: libqt4-qt3support
  Depends: libqt4-sql
  Depends: libqt4-svg
  Depends: libqt4-xml
  Depends: libqtcore4
  Depends: libqtgui4
  Depends: libsolid4
  Depends: libstdc++6
  Depends: libtiff4
  Depends: libx11-6
  Depends: libxau6
  Depends: libxdmcp6
  Depends: phonon
  Depends: zlib1g
  Depends: libqt4-sql-sqlite
  Depends: digikam-data
  Suggests: digikam-doc

Recommends: kipi-plugins
#
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 12:20:48 AM »

Sorry but as a long time Linux user I think this sort of post just puts people off using Linux, most of the commands you have demonstrated will never be used or needed by anyone running most distros.

Well said, have your first applaud.
wyleu
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 06:04:24 AM »

Certainly running a GUI is how a lot of people approach **ix and this is aLubuntu thread, but a terminal session will be the only route into some of the systems  people tend to set up, especially in low power and high reliability system,and it was terminal that was mentioned.

Things like the ./ gotcha,current user  and different shells have caught many people. Given the nature of the communiy it is likely that some of the more archain aspects will probably raise their heads. The concept of piping, for instance, is one that explains why some features like ordering seem to be missing from commands like ls.

If you feel that this is intimidating then, please, provide your perspective. the combination of the two will hopefully be of greater benefit than only one of them.

Have a couple of applauds in anticipation.

titan

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:51 AM »

If you feel that this is intimidating then, please, provide your perspective. the combination of the two will hopefully be of greater benefit than only one of them.

In the context of this forum where someone may have an interest in running a low energy headless system like a Sheevaplug so need to find their way around  an OS from a remote terminal some help with the command line may be needed but this thread is  about Linux on a normal PC. It was clear from the thread that help was being sought about installing applications none of your commands had anything to do with  what was being asked  were completely out of context and in my view completely unhelpful. As is using **ix  why not just say Linux I would doubt anyone reading this will be using Unix or BSD at home or if they are won't be needing any help running in  a terminal.
KLD

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »

Titan, I'm very much with you. The stage at which the OP is needs a few pointers to finding his way around the GUI of the newly installed system. And maybe a few notes on the side about the general idea of how software installs are handled.
That said, there is a niggling in the back of my head that say: why not show him that there is a completely different practical approach to handling his new system? I for one enjoy using an operating system based on Gnu/Linux (Debian in my case) because you have the choice of doing things in a terminal. In comparison, under M$ WinXP I often struggled when things went pearshaped, and never knew where to even start looking. But then, I agree that Wyleu's intro was -- shall we say -- on the overwhelming side of things  Wink

Greenman, if you tell us more about what you want to install, I'm sure we can give you a hand  Cheesy

Klaus

wyleu
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »

Well if you run apt-get install, it will probably fail because it expects you to run it as superuser, so that part seems relevant.
I've installed a lot of linux bits and pieces using synaptic but I still find myself using dpkg or apt-get for various reasons, and as one get's more and more involved you will find yourself performing the ./configure make sudo make install dance or python setup .py install .
Now if you do find yourself doing that you may wonder why you use ./ in front of configure. Which is one of the reasons It's covered. This guide was based on work I did in introducing 3D animators and 2D illustrators  to the command line and whilst I agree that within the simple confines of a particular distribution you will probably only work with one shell, if people are from a Windows or Mac background they tend to be surprised at the variety of options linux provides and this is a concept people find difficult.
I would argue that it is important to identify the similarities amongst dists. To learn how to use synaptic is great but to believe that all linux dists carry an identical tool is going to lead to constantly relearning. Red Hat,Fedora and Suse do it differently and if you are successful in adopting Ubuntu you will have problems if you try to apply what you have learnt to a hosting site using a different dist.

Maybe people do want to just run a GUI but which one?  KDE or Gnome? what's the difference? how does a beginner know? Why are there two alternatives? Those are questions that people also find confusing. I doubt there have been times when you find yourself using ps -e to identify orphaned processes. Firefox does it occasionally and kill -9 1234 is something that most linux users can type almost without thinking.

To discover that there is an easy way to display a list of running processes and ways of sorting them (sort) or filtering them (grep) reduced the number of support calls we got from our animators. They were a technically able group of individuals who just needed a few pointers to allow them to do a little diagnostics themselves. I suspect that the technical level of this forum is also fairly high. People who can adjust electrical or plumbing systems will probably want to modify and tinker with software tools. As a blow torch or multimeter is to hardware then the command line is a way behind the panel of a computer.
The first step of most maintenance involves understanding and comprehension. To know that your webserver is not running because httpd is not running is a first step, even if the GUI claims it is running.

One of the big problems of a forum is that useful information tends to get lost in threads and whilst we do try to hoover out useful chunks to more appropriate places it's an onward going process and it doesn't happen nearly as much as it should.

That's all really.

If you'd like to explain the various options of apt-get then please go ahead. Since the situations where one might use such a tool are by their very nature non typical.Your personal experiences will be of great benefit. They will undoubtably be different to mine and this often demonstrates how many different problem sets can be addressed by the same underlying kernel. Elements like backports and dependancies can become complex and involved not to say irritating and the light hearted elements of karmic Koala's et al can quickly become intensely irritating if it just doesn't do what it's meant to.

titan

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »

I would argue that it is important to identify the similarities amongst dists. To learn how to use synaptic is great but to believe that all linux dists carry an identical tool is going to lead to constantly relearning. Red Hat,Fedora and Suse do it differently

All the generic Linux commands would be the same in any distro but I can't see the connection you make that anyone would believe that Synaptic , an APT front end for the Debian package system would work  on all distros. Using the command line for APT or the Ncurses Aptitude won't make you any better equipped if you move to a RPM, Portage or Pacman package management system. There is no advantage I can see in using a terminal

If you'd like to explain the various options of apt-get then please go ahead. Since the situations where one might use such a tool are by their very nature non typical.

Debian based distros are by far the most popular out there so APT is actually used by the most Linux users.( usually with a GUI front end)  I really can't understand what you are trying to say, above you are complaining about Synaptic saying the terminal is better and in the next sentence saying of the terminal based APT  "Since the situations where one might use such a tool are by their very nature non typical"   I am not really sure what you are trying to say.

wyleu
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »

Ok. We appear to disagree.

It would still be nice, if, with your experience, you might provide a little guidance as to what you think the terminal is useful for.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: