navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lubuntu rocks!  (Read 31100 times)
SteveH

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »

I've been running Ubuntu "Lucid" (10.04) on my Acer laptop for about 3 months now & it did take quite a little bit of fiddling about to get it stable.

The problem was not the Ubuntu OS, but the BIOS of the Acer that caused problems. Pour implementation of APCI from Acer. This meant the CPU fan sometimes decided to stop working resulting in a thermal shut-down after a few minuets....

I had to download & make a MS DOS boot disk to upgrade the BIOS as Acer only provide MS files... Embarrassed

I spent quit a lot of time searching the online forums & now have a machine that flies compared to it's former Windoze incarnation. Only thing left to sort is the VoIP...

You could try installing the "Ubuntu Software Centre". This will give you a graphical interface to brows for applications. There is a video on YouTube that shows you how to do this & it is very easy to follow.

Steve...

Preveli, South Crete.
martin

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »

VOIP? - you can install Skype......... Wink  -I have, works a treat!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
titan

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 05:11:59 PM »

Ok. We appear to disagree.

I don't know that we do disagree,  I think learning to use a terminal will improve any users overall Linux experience, my comments were just relating to what you had posted in relation to the question asked. I use a terminal all the time but mostly for admin stuff, package management ( in init 3)  or the odd application I need to compile. I would think one of the most useful things for someone new to Linux to start off with is getting comfortable using an editor in a terminal, I like nano. but there are plenty to choose from. Being able to edit config files especially when X no longer works makes life a lot simpler.
KLD

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »

"getting comfortable using an editor in a terminal, I like nano. but there are plenty to choose from. "

Oh no, let there be no editor besides Emacs    Grin

troll

martin

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »

Holds hand up - I'm a Linux fan, and "came into it" via Wubi and Ubuntu  -to be frank, I'm a "point and clicker" - I have no real desire to "tinker" any more than I have to - terminals for me are generally "bonnet up stuff" that is best avoided - I only mentioned the "apt-get" thing as a "party trick" that a determined non-geek such as myself found rather impressive. Linux has for years been the province of those who like to tinker, thankfully it's excellence no longer needs a degree in geekery to use.......
  I'm quite happy for those who enjoy such things to tinker all they like, but for me, an operating system should be "transparent" - like a good camera - it should do the job, swiftly and with no hassle, and essentially "disappear" and let me get on with why I'm sitting at the machine..... Ubuntu does it for me - I went for "Lubuntu" for my wife's low spec. laptop, and it's done the job superbly, Linux is utterly brilliant, but it can now be enjoyed by ALL of us, without requiring overalls and a grease gun!...........
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:19:29 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
wyleu
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »

I suppose I'm an old linux fuddie duddie really. I'm suspicious of GUI's they just ain't, well, I was about to say reliable but they certainly have got an awful lot better in the last couple of years, but I've had them lie on so many occasions that I'm probably just inherently suspicious.
Certainly for actually doing work with a machine I use the GUI stuff; Eclipse, IDLE, Synaptics, Firefox, Thunderbird and Rosegarden, but most of my work stuff is python, django and SQL based so I tend to spend a lot of time on the command line.

I work on MAC's at the day job and to see a terminal being so boldly displayed on an Apple machine certainly brings a wry smile to my face., Especially as it coincides with the Windows equivalent disappearing further and further into the machine. Twas ever so.

Yes I tend to use nano, its simple and reasonably intuitive.

I tend to only use vi with a 50% expectation I'll manage to leave the file un-molested, and with a python background I tend to look at the two emacs camps and slope away, but I would agree it's one of those gotcha's when you do venture into the terminal and you can't even look at a webpage or just manage a quick edit especially when all roads seem to lead to vi... It took a long time to realize that MAN pages needed ZZ to  close the session.

The other two life savers are tab completion and history.
KLD

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »

"It took a long time to realize that MAN pages needed ZZ to  close the session. "

Wow, never tried that, always used "q". WHat's the difference? I guess q terminates the pager (more, less) but what does ZZ do?

Klaus
martin

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »

Rocks? ralph

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_EFdod4YDo?fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0_EFdod4YDo?fs=1</a>

wyleu
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »

To be honest I don't know! I used to end up with man pages hanging in a terminal and the only way out was closing down the terminal session. What does seem to work is ZZ which is vi-ish but further than that I haven't investigated.

Actually we should probably be a little more specific:-

To edit the file fred.txt

Code:
nano fred.txt

There is a helpful message at the bottom of the screen to tell you what to do, To save a file it Control O then press return to accept the current file name followed by Control X to exit nano.

If you need to edit a root file ( it will winge about read only ...) and you sometimes do then...

Code:
sudo nano fred.important-root-file.txt

will work...

...Can't I even mention

Code:

Huh
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:57:07 PM by wyleu » Logged
SteveH

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

i... It took a long time to realize that MAN pages needed ZZ to  close the session.

Ctrl+Z works too... & looks a lot more professional, if your being watched... Wink

Preveli, South Crete.
KLD

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »

Steve, Ctrl-z only stops the process, but doesn't terminate it.
K
wyleu
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »

What you need is ps.... fume

... I'll get my coat... reindeer
KLD

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »

What do you reckon how I found out  onpatrol
SteveH

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »

How about... EXIT

?

Preveli, South Crete.
wyleu
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »

Ok so the basic conclusion is theres lots out of man...

For those that don't speak **ix we're talking about the manual pages
so if you want to know all about the command ls then you type

Code:
man ls

and then press the space bar to scroll down.

once you get to the bottom you can type ..

shift ZZ

or

q

to get out.

I've never actually met anyone that's learnt anything from a man page but it's there so you should use it.  facepalm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: