navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lubuntu rocks!  (Read 31093 times)
thegreenman

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure that 99.97% of converts from Windoze just want a point and click approach.

Now you mentioned terminal, that's the sort of talk I only hear from Windoze users.

As for terminating stubborn processes/application I find the most effective way is the power switch signofcross

Seriously though my Mum loves Lubuntu its so freeeeakin fast.

However Linux needs to be easy to use for people to want to use it, how about an easy point and click for those who just want to do things and another version for those who like to tinker.

Everyones happy. Now is there an idiot linux for users like myself who just don't have the time to learn too much at once.

Did I mention how Lubuntu realised I had hardware that needed drivers and stuff for then just went ahead and sorted it all out for me so I could go and make a cup of tea. Now that's what I call computing extrahappy

if my solar powered fan is turning it means it's sunny outside, if it not turning and it's sunny my fan is broken, please contact your administrator
titan

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure that 99.97% of converts from Windoze just want a point and click approach.

However Linux needs to be easy to use for people to want to use it

Did I mention how Lubuntu realised I had hardware that needed drivers and stuff for then just went ahead and sorted it all out for me so I could go and make a cup of tea. Now that's what I call computing extrahappy

There are so many versions of Linux you need to pick to the right one for you if you only ever want a point and click life.Have you seen Distro watch  http://distrowatch.com/   As I said upthread Lubuntu is a lightweight distro using a lightweight Desktop, if it provides as installed the computing you want that is great but I doubt it will long term. Windows users have been spoon-fed and not encouraged to think for themeselves Linux is different it gives a lot of choice which new users can  find confusing. Linux is not Windows. If you want a Windows like experience why use Lubuntu. LXDE is a nice desktop but so is XFCE ,Openbox , E17,Gnome or KDE. As for hardware recognition there are better distros than Ubuntu. Most Linux users don't give a toss about what converts from Windows want or their demands for point and click computing. If you want to use Linux you will find plenty of people who are willing to help you.
martin

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »

I think a point is being missed - I've just had a quick shooftie at Distrowatch and had a swift dose of brain fade, and an attack of "I really can't be ar*ed" - I've point and clicked my way for nearly 4 years mostly with Ubuntu, and the thought of all that geekery is missing the point for me - yes I can accept that if I wanted to go off at a tangent and get heftily into music editing or similar, then I may well spend time getting my head round choosing the right "flavour" for me from the site - in the meantime, Ubuntu does all I need for now, does it superbly well and reliably, and like the good camera I mentioned "disappears" in use - it's a good "tool".
  I chose Lubuntu for 'er indoors laptop because it's rather old and a bit slow running the appalling Windoze, but is an utter flier now - it does all she needs - probably 95% net use, the odd letter and photo, and that's it! (Kath Kidston browser theme and all.........)

I don't want Windoze - it's appalling on all fronts, but neither do I want to "get my hands dirty" - I'm quite happy with a "gui" that "does it for me" - thankfully there are more and more people like Greenman and myself who are heartily cheesed off with Windoze, and are bowled over with the new generation of "user friendly" versions of Linux - it may not appeal to geeky purists, but it's doing a great job for many of us......

I think a fair analogy is photography - I spent awhile in photography, and clung for a long time to a wrist-bending combination of manual-focus all-metal Nikon FM2, motor drive, prime lenses wherever possible, and a socking great hammerhead flashgun - having taken several hundred shots at a wedding, I used to ache! Then my friendly local camera shop owner lent me a Canon EOS 5 to try - it was 'orrible, it was plastic, light, had a built-in motor drive, autofocus and auto bally everything if you chose to use it - it had a zoom lens, and a computerised flash - it wasn't a "photographer's camera" - much to my chagrin it proved to be the best swap I'd ever made........ It was fast, it was light, it enabled me to concentrate on the important things like composition and lighting instead of faffing about with manual settings and focus - my "hit rate" went through the roof - eventually it was a case of "feel the force" - bung it on "P", flash on auto, and let the thing do all the hard work - I was getting far more, far better photos all round........... it "disappeared" - just like a good tool should! Wink
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:01:45 AM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
titan

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »

I think a point is being missed -

So do I. The gist of what I said was choose the right distro if you want a point and click life. On the Distrowatch list certainly all in the top 20, with a couple of exceptions are as simple to install and use as Ubuntu.
martin

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »

Touché ralph
We're actually both right - the "right one" may well be there, but it's presented in such a way as to induce a dose of the willies in hardcore point and clickers! Wink

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
wookey

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »

...Can't I even mention
Code:

Nope - it's not 1968 anymore: use htop - approximately a million times better. (Scrolling screen when you want to see more of the list !, same with seeing the rest of the command, easy to strace processes, display as process tree, coloured memory and load indicators - i.e. all the goodness of top with the incredibly annoying retro interface updated). Not as far as a GUI of course - that's for the plebs who don't want to know what's going on :-)

Wookey
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »

ea@bill:~$ htop
The program 'htop' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install htop
ea@bill:~$ sudo apt-get install htop

Oh, shiny.  Ta.  Never liked top much but didn't use it often enough to actually look for something else.
Mostie

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »

Lubuntu, working as I type on old crusty Toshiba satellite laptop with 160mb of ram.
Cant use above version 10.04 due to processor being from last millennium.  linux  bike

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
wyleu
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »

Ubuntu loaded onto a EeeBox... seems to be a little confused by a large flat screen monitor. More news on a more appropriate thread ( possibly) later.
Mostie

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 12:45:01 AM »

For some reason the forum preview button works on the Chrome browser but not on anything else I've tried.  Huh

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: