navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FITs intact  (Read 2858 times)
Ivan

« on: October 20, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »

Looks  like FITs remains intact. I think the threat of legal action made them think twice. Still can't work out why it would make any difference to the public purse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/oct/20/feed-in-tariffs-renewableenergy

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »

But today DECC said there will be FITs savings of 40 million in 2014-15

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/news/csr_hmt_releas/csr_hmt_releas.aspx
 Huh
-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »

I think they are making 'savings' by increasing the level of degression from 2013. DECC also talk of savings from refoccusing on more cost-effective technologies - whatever they may be.

Volunteer moderator
martin

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »

ASHP to keep their buddies in the nuke trade happy! whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
tony.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »

So do i sign up for my solar pv install or not?

tony
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »

So do i sign up for my solar pv install or not?

One journalist today said Yes!  Because your payments are guaranteed for 25 years, although its likely the 41.5p/kWh will be cut by 10% in 2012 or sooner.

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

tony.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »

So if i get my pv system and get the 41.3p they cant cut it?

Is this right?

tony
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:59:24 PM »

Is this right?

There's the rub. Nobody knows the answer to that question - DECC have not issued any details yet.

I'm with Ivan on this one because PV is self-funding via electricity suppliers, so it has no impact on the public purse.

However they could tax FIT's income, an idea that the Government would probably like to keep quiet at the moment!

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

Ivan

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 01:20:11 AM »

I think they were put off by the threat of legal action (which would cost at least 3x the lost FITs). Fortunately, it was made very clear to the government that there is a body of people who would take out a joint legal action against the government. Anyone who had already installed or committed to installing a system prior to today would be entitled to sue the government (and would probably win), but of course anyone who went ahead with an installation knowing full well that they would not be entitled to the same FITs as previously advertised would be on to a loser.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »

Is this right?

There's the rub. Nobody knows the answer to that question - DECC have not issued any details yet.

I'm with Ivan on this one because PV is self-funding via electricity suppliers, so it has no impact on the public purse.

However they could tax FIT's income, an idea that the Government would probably like to keep quiet at the moment!

-Paul
they've released enough details to say that it's not being cut until 2014, unless there's too great an uptake, in which case they will reassess it.

what the level of uptake needs to be isn't yet clear, but apparently the treasury have set a limit at which point they'll reassess it. Personally I can't see how that's going to work though, and IMO this was there one chance to have revised the rates earlier than 2014.

If I've read all the documentation right, they couldn't actually reduce the rates for existing FIT holders without going back to parliament to do it, which isn't likely ever to prove worthwhile doing bearing in mind the relatively low annual amounts being handed over to those installations in early years, and the fact that if they do it they may as well scrap all future FIT schemes as nobody will believe them. It's always going to generate more savings to reduce future rates than it will to cut existing rates because the numbers of installations will be increasing rapidly year on year through the scheme.

there are no 100% guarantees, but if they've not done it now, then I don't see them ever doing it.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »

Is this right?

-Paul
they've released enough details to say that it's not being cut until 2014, unless there's too great an uptake, in which case they will reassess it.

what the level of uptake needs to be isn't yet clear, but apparently the treasury have set a limit at which point they'll reassess it. Personally I can't see how that's going to work though, and IMO this was there one chance to have revised the rates earlier than 2014.

If I've read all the documentation right, they couldn't actually reduce the rates for existing FIT holders without going back to parliament to do it, which isn't likely ever to prove worthwhile doing bearing in mind the relatively low annual amounts being handed over to those installations in early years, and the fact that if they do it they may as well scrap all future FIT schemes as nobody will believe them. It's always going to generate more savings to reduce future rates than it will to cut existing rates because the numbers of installations will be increasing rapidly year on year through the scheme.

there are no 100% guarantees, but if they've not done it now, then I don't see them ever doing it.

Good points Gavin. But did you realise FITs payments come from a levy taken by energy companies, with no Government funding?  I don't see how the Treasury can "save" anything, except to remove the tax-free status of FITs.

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:32:46 AM »

If the levy on all consumers gathered by suppliers exceeds the FiT payments (and the allowable admin costs) then any surplus is theoretically available to be returned to DECC by OFGEM.  It would be good to know how the figure of 40 million was calculated.

Volunteer moderator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: