navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fridge, you'll kill us all.... :o)  (Read 40756 times)
Heinz

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »

You're probably right, gas blend, manifold, etc. But it's running fine on the Butane (no idea why I said Propane a couple of posts back), the suction pipe is causing no trouble now it's insulated, the water in the jam jar is minimal, maybe half a jar a week? so I'm not going to interfere...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it  hysteria

Tiny bit of fridge madness though, the handle cracked ages ago so we've been using it handleless which is OK, but I was casting some fire grates for a bloke in the village and made these while the furnace was still hot. First one not perfect, second one OK  Grin

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »

Wow Heinz,
            Nice bit of work.I have a pal on top of the mountain and every few months he lights a fire under a barrell,chucks in broken alloy bits of manifolds,gearboxs and diffs to melt down.Then he pours the lot into these round moulds of different sizes.He makes casings for bearings and tells me it is the easiest job in the world,Very sore on the coal supply.
                                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »

those look really good, I'm impressed!

(better than the casting I had done at a foundry tbg)
mespilus

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »

A mate of mine 20+ odd years ago was looking round scrappers on the western edge of London
for Viva parts.

At one place he saw a 200 litre drum over a fire ........
....... with the engine of a Hillman Imp sticking out of it,
slowly sinking into the ferment of liquid aluminium alloys.

Now in the HS2 blight zone
daserra

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2013, 08:02:24 PM »

Excellent handles, wow ! You can cheat vis a vis the vacuum by pushing out the air with the refrigerant. Not sure how you'd do that in a fridge though but on split AC you open the tap without the Schraeder filling valve to pressurise the lines, then close it and bleed off the air. Rinse and repeat then open both taps.

Rammed earth/ytong PassivFrankenHaus.
In the hills in Southern Portugal.
Borehole, on-grid.
Home made pool solar.
Heinz

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »

Well, it's been about four oops, Seven years since the fridge got regassed with Butane and all has been OK until recently. Noticed the fridge was running more than normal and  not working as well as it should. SWMBO is away in Belgium, so I'm free to mess around with such things in the house with zero interference/paranoia for a while  Grin
Checked the pressure, next to nothing and the pump is HOT, so all is not well. Left it to cool for a while and drained the residual pressure, horrible hot electrical smell and almost no gas smell. Regassed with 40g or thereabouts of Butane from a camping gas cartridge, fired it up and I'm waiting to see if it ok before pushing it back into place in the kitchen. I really hope it runs for a while as she wants to get one of those American style fridge freezers (has to be red) and I would rather not spend many hundreds on such a thing.... I have no need for a water cooler and ice maker  Roll Eyes
Cheers,

H
p.s. I notice the photos have disappeared from this thread, seems to be a lot of older forum posts on the net have lost their pics recently, shame as much info that was researchable is now as good as useless ...   Huh
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:56:54 AM by Heinz » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »

Aye H, good to have you back,

I notice the photos have disappeared from this thread, seems to be a lot of older forum posts on the net have lost their pics recently, shame as much info that was researchable is now as good as useless ...   Huh

That'll be cos of this https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28643.0.html

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
Heinz

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »

That explains it....   Blo*dy Photobucket....    Cry 

H

Fionn

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »

Do you still have the original photos? Would be cool if you could edit the original post and replace them.
Great thread and outcome by the way!
Heinz

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »

I will have them somewhere, but they will be on one of the older PC's or one of the many backup hard drives in a box in the attic or on backup CD disc or a 'just in case' flash drive. Life was simple when we just got 35 prints from a film at Boots and kept them in a shoebox under the bed, too easy to take photos now and everyone has thousands stored on drives that will probably never be looked at again after a very few years....
I do sometimes have plans to sort it all out, but there are always more important things to do.
Thread is drifting a little here, all my fault  whistlie
I do wonder if these cloud storage things will bite people in the arrse in a similar way to Photobucket??  We get convinced to store all our photos on Amazon or wherever, then A/ we are hooked and end up paying forever when the tempting free space is used up, B/ if they lose them, there will be no comeback, C/ their terms will change over time and they will end up being able to use/search our pictures without our permission, D/ what happens to my photos when I die?? Are they lost on a cloud server somewhere? does the cloud Co. aquire them?? 
Similar to cars on lease instead of buying, you never own it. Software that we used to have on our PCs, now it's 'online' and we no longer have control or ownership. I resist all such things..

H

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »

Blackmail
Heinz we are going in the opposite direction, Old albums of photos needed to be scanned for posterity or rather to print in book format for Mrs T's dotage. My computer is rammed with pictures that I had little interest when taken and even less now. at least with the old printed ones film and developing was quite expensive limiting the numbers together with natural incompetence further reducing the numbers

Fionn

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »

Definitely drifting OT, but on Google Drive at least, the invasion of privacy is immense.
If you take photos on your android phone and have them backed up to google drive (default setting) then google scan every one for object recognition and OCR.

I was searching for a bill recently and found a photo of a bill which had not been renamed in any manner, the photo had obviously been OCR'd.
Similarly I searched for a file with "meter" in the text and it brought up all maner of photos of electricity meters, energy meters etc that I had taken or were in my WhatsApp photos!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: