navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onzo Delivers! - (at last)  (Read 89862 times)
KenB

Energy Self Enlightenment

« on: November 12, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »

Any customer of Scottish and Southern Energy can now get a free Onzo Smart Energy Kit. Available to customers across all their regions including, Southern, SWALEC and Scottish Hydro.

SSE have rolled out their "iPlan" tariff which is the same price as their standard tariff but includes a free Onzo - worth about 75.

As a Southern Electric customer on standard tariff, a quick call got me registered on iPlan and the Onzo landed on the doormat with a thump a few days later.

Some of you will know that I spent about a year working for Onzo on the electronics development of this product - and whilst I have moved onto pastures new, it is good to see the product finally get into the public arena.

How does it differ from other electricity monitors?  Well for a start it takes true power measurements once per second, which leads to a much finer time resolution than other competitors units. It has a large capacity flash RAM in both the sensor and the display, and a copy of your consumption data logs is maintained in both halves.  If the wireless link is interrupted - you won't lose data.  

The clamp on current sensor uses a technique called power harvesting to keep it powered.  It runs continuously from a small rechargeable battery which is constantly being trickle charged. It doesn't need those clunky D-cells that some sensor units use.

Likewise with the display - it is fitted with rechargeable cells and will run for about a month before it needs recharging - this is easily done from the USB port on a computer, when you upload data to your own personal energy monitor dashboard on the iPlan site.

I believe you can also buy an Onzo Smart Energy Kit from Amazon. Apparently 20 discount if you quote a certain reference - see OnzoHQ on Twitter for details.  That's enough trumpet blowing for now - I need to start hacking the sensor so that it will count gas pulses.

Here's the display working "straight out of the box" and in the next post because of image size limitations, the sensor clamped to my meter tail.

Ken

* onzo_display.jpg (95.67 KB, 800x600 - viewed 8281 times.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:06:33 PM by KenB » Logged
KenB

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »

Here's the sensor.  Despite lots of communications with the plastics company about pantone colours, the Polish manufacturers have still managed to misinterpret the SSE colours as "snot green".  Nevermind - so long as my part in the electronics bear up to the test of time.

* onzo_sensor1.jpg (93.43 KB, 800x600 - viewed 9671 times.)
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »

I've switched online to iPlan - should save me 50 a year too.

Ken, remind me - is it wireless connection between the sensor and display?

Volunteer moderator
KenB

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »

Hi Ted,

It's a 433MHz link with a transceiver at either end.  That allows the display to prompt the sensor for any missing data.

I've just discovered a neat 5V USB mains adaptor lurking in the outer packaging sleeve.  It was talked about when I was at Onzo, but as an optional extra  - looks like there is one being shipped with every unit.

Its good to see a product that you worked on find it's way in the outside world. Both the Onzo Smart Energy Kit and the trueCall Smart Answering machine I worked on  have been shortlisted for "Product of the Year".

Ken
JohnS

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »

Well done Ken.  It looks as though it will do more than my Efergy meter.

Npower also gave me a freebie.  Pretty useless.  The display has to be plugged into the mains to display and its minimum reading is 0.050kW.  I have it connected to my solar and it lets me see at a quick glance how much it is producing.  However it integrates the 0.050kW throughout the night and always shows a bit more than my generation meter.  Sometimes it looks as though I have generated at least a kWh during the day but when I look at the generation meter it shows 0 or 0.1.

John

2.1kWp solar PV
roscoe

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:42:47 PM »

'true power measurements'

How does the enzo manage this with just a CT connection, how are voltage and pf flucuations taken into consideration? 

Looks to me that it is much the same as the other but with a slighty quicker update, nicer packaging and using power harvesting rather than batteries.
KenB

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:19:09 AM »

Roscoe,

The clamp-on sensor has a secondary sensor which picks up the phase of the voltage.

Once you know the relationship between phase of the voltage and the current you can accurately calculate power factor.

Voltage fluctuations are a little harder to handle - but this is only a domestic monitor, it's not being used for billing purposes.

Ken
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »

My Onzo turned up yesterday, very simple to install and setup.

The cardboard box that it comes in is a work of art on its own.

Volunteer moderator
Sean

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »

My Onzo turned up yesterday, very simple to install and setup.

The cardboard box that it comes in is a work of art on its own.

same here - just have to wait 7 days for it to gather enough data apparently, and then the fun begins

chippie40

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »

Hi,
I'm new  here ... only really found the site because I was searching for anything on the new SE Onzo meter. We have had it for just over 7 days now and whilst it is quite impressive in terms of responsiveness and clarity I'm not so impressed with the SE website it uploads the data to. Yes it does give you a plot per day BUT the scale is tiny so any detailed interpretation is impossible. I will start asking SE if they can assist with this but I was wondering if anyone here has sussed out a way to get access to the data that is uploaded to the website. Surely there must be a way to get it onto Excel or something similar.

This data could be really useful but not in its current form.

Cheers

Chippie40
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »

Would this be available via Ebico due to the Scottish electric link?

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
tony.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 09:27:07 PM »

Afraid not, its only available for iplan customers,phoned them last month to find out.

Onzo sell them on ebay

Tony
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »

Ken
it indeed looks nice much better than my Efergy one calculating real power is a move in the right direction.
Sean

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »

Afraid not, its only available for iplan customers,phoned them last month to find out.

Onzo sell them on ebay

Tony

I looked but didn't find one on ebay, Amazon yes.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
en4rab

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 07:40:15 AM »

Hello, I just signed up to add my 2p worth on the onzo monitor Smiley
I signed up to the swalec iplan and got sent an onzo meter about 7 weeks ago, and my first impression is its a nice bit of kit.
However in the intervening 7 weeks I have arrived at the opinion im glad i didnt pay for it.
The meter clamp seems prone to buzzing, this isnt the end of the world but it would be nice if the design of the clamp allowed you to clamp it tight enough that it wasnt an issue.
The Energy display seems to have an occasional fit going into a reboot loop causing it to reboot every few minutes, and the associated bing bong from my PC as the usb disconnects/reconnects, I havent worked out the cause of this and it might just be a fault with my display, but its random and intermittent nature makes me think its a firmware bug.
Both of these I could probably live with, but the real problem i have with this device is that I am not the intended customer for this device, it isnt mine, it is for the benefit of the power company and power company alone.
The communication protocols and data storage are proprietary and designed to funnel your usage data to swalec for them to use, you do get pretty graphs on their site when its working but you get no access to the raw data for you to use as you wish.
Dont get me wrong, swalec gave me this for free in return for getting my usage data fed back to them and I have no problem with that tradeoff, however I would also like a copy of this data to use as I see fit.
Unfortunately the device appears to be being used to lock you in to swalecs services as if you move to another provider your online graphs will cease to work, it might be possible to convert a swalec onzo into an onzo onzo to get the online functionality back, but that isnt what I want in a product.

If i was to buy a power meter I think i would be looking at the offerings from currentcost they may not be as technically advanced, but at least you are the customer and you get to use the data they produce however you see fit.
en4rab
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: