navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onzo Delivers! - (at last)  (Read 81578 times)
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »

Today is the first chance I've had to check the Onzo's reading while we have been exporting.

Unfortunately it seems that the Onzo treats export the same as import and simply gives a positive number, thereby adding the export to the daily kWh consumption figure.

So it is going to be of little or no use to anyone with on-site renewables.

Volunteer moderator
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »

Well after hunting around on ebay I chanced across one today..
Auction item won , new for 38.
If I sell my owl (freebie) for around 20 i've got an exceptional deal IF it appears as slick as advertised.
Having refreshed my memory via some threads here I am curious as to whether private purchasers have more software access in comparison to the gripes re raw data for / to Swalec elsewhere?

Anyone able so substantiate the bold claim for +/- 1% accuracy compared to the 10+/- % of the owl?
& any shortcomings to report?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:04:05 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »

The rechargeable batteries in mine are now asking to be topped-up every week.

www.myonzo.com is still not working.

Volunteer moderator
MR GUS

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »

Not good!
Ted, what is "my onzo" when it's working?

Or should I just wait for delivery?
cheers

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »

'MyOnzo' is the website (put together by the Onzo makers) that allows the owner of a 'open' Onzo to upload data from the unit which then gets manipulated for display in monthly/daily graphs.

'open' being an Onzo that isn't linked to a specific electricity supplier.

Volunteer moderator
MR GUS

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »

Thankyou once again Ted,

I'm hoping the seller (who had been selling some other non energy company marked alternative monitors) has this as an open software un it which is obviously what I need it for,  ..otherwise i'm going to have to cite business seller (multiple monitors sole thereof) & innacurate description (tied utility software) to get it refunded / sent back as they state no returns.
Oh well have to take a punt sometimes!
Anyone cracked the software yet?

Noli Timere Messorem
djh

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »

otherwise i'm going to have to cite business seller (multiple monitors sole thereof) & innacurate description (tied utility software) to get it refunded / sent back as they state no returns.

No need for that. As long as you are a 'consumer' and not a business the Distance Selling Regulations (see http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/distance-selling-regulations/) mean that any such clause is ineffective. They can't refuse a return as long as you're quick.

Cheers, Dave
MR GUS

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »

Thanks All,

I spoke this morning to the people at Onzo, apparantly "My Onzo" should be up & running on the 31st Jan testing allowing..

As to the Issue a few have had with Batteries, if you look at the facebook page there's a back off shot, so reassurances there that battery pack failure out of warranty can be obtained easily via maplin & the like.

With regard to the energy supplier software vs open software / utility supplier uploads, "My Onzo" should address this by means of subscription to further software you can buy into  so that should help with those who unwittingly find themselveswith a utility supplied ONzo if purchased via ebay & the like.
Apparantly Onzo themselves pulled out from ebay as a sales outlet.

Noli Timere Messorem
Automan

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »

Still no access at myonzo.com  Cry

Also please note the battery pack in the display unit uses 3 x AA Alkaline Rechargeable cells which only a very few firms still make.

Google "owl aa rechargeable alkaline batteries".

The idea of these was that they have less heavy metals but only work well if you never let them run low as they won't recharge again.

The battery pack also has an extra connection to the Onzo via a small two pin connector so it knows such a pack is fitted.

Of course, you can just put three normal AA's in the unit.

Automan.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:19:55 PM by Automan » Logged
MR GUS

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »

Easy though to tag a pack together with proven reliable rechargeables such as 7dayshop.coms own 2500's or similar.

Noli Timere Messorem
Automan

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »

Easy though to tag a pack together with proven reliable rechargeables such as 7dayshop.coms own 2500's or similar.

But they are likely Nicad or Nickel Metal Hydride and have a different voltage (1.2volts) and charge characteristics and thus may do funny things if charged in the Onzo.

Rechargeable alkaline batteries are 1.5volts like normal AA's

Automan.
MR GUS

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »

2 Things.
1. uncertainty till you try & know (can call on Onzo to rectify based on dodgey battery if need be) ..they are aware of a battery issue..

2. regular batteries drop voltage quite quickly anyways.

Noli Timere Messorem
Automan

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

Onzo Smart Energy Kit say on Facebook...

We've run into a few problems, and we need to do some more testing for MyOnzo. We are awaiting a confirmation date and will notify everyone as soon as we know. We are really very sorry that this delay has occurred and we will be in touch very soon. The Onzo Team.

I hope they did not employ the IT guy from Jurassic Park?

Automan.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »

My Onzo has started behaving very erratically the past couple of days - coincident with high levels of generation and export from the wind turbine.

The 'Today kWh' reading has been jumping around all over the place, changing from 4 to 17 to 21 in a matter of minutes and sometimes giving up and just displaying ----. It seems very confused.

Volunteer moderator
MR GUS

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »

Are you going to report that one to them Ted?

Noli Timere Messorem
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: