navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onzo Delivers! - (at last)  (Read 89866 times)
Automan

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »

At last we have a date set in concrete for myonzo to go live (well maybe wet cement).

Hello,

Thank you for your patience whilst we finalise the details of the Onzo web service (MyOnzo).

We will be launching the MyOnzo service on Monday 14th February 2011.  You will receive an email from us with your user name and password to log in to access the service.  Please follow the steps to upload your data to your account and start enjoying the full offerings of the Onzo.

Many thanks once again for all your patience.

Kind regards,

The Onzo Team!

Automan.
Automan

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »

Anyone received their MyOnzo login details yet?

If launching today I would have thought the details would have been sent out so any support issues could be dealt with.

Automan.
Automan

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »

A quote from Onzo's website.

"Onzo’s approach is rigorous: it links project design to strategic objectives, plans for benefits realisation, ensures programme delivery, and commits to high levels of client satisfaction."

IMHO they have failed.

Automan.
Automan

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 05:55:27 PM »

A day late and 12hr time format but otherwise seems to work very well Smiley

Automan.
pingumacpenguin

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

I have a couple of questions.

1) I use Linux, and the Onzo doesn't come with a Linux driver, before I start trying to hack the thing to make it work I wondered if anybody knew exactly how the USB comms work, and what kind of device the Onzo presents itself as. I suspect it is a glorified serial port, HID or a mass storage device, or some combination of all three.

2) My Onzo device is supplied by Scottish Power, but I would like access to the data which no doubt I could do by "screen scraping" the Scottish Power Onzo portal, (even if that means setting up a VM running Windows to get round the lack of Linux drivers). Is there any way to make the device report to a website other than the one it comes preconfigured to talk to?

en4rab

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »

I have a couple of questions.

1) I use Linux, and the Onzo doesn't come with a Linux driver, before I start trying to hack the thing to make it work I wondered if anybody knew exactly how the USB comms work, and what kind of device the Onzo presents itself as. I suspect it is a glorified serial port, HID or a mass storage device, or some combination of all three.

2) My Onzo device is supplied by Scottish Power, but I would like access to the data which no doubt I could do by "screen scraping" the Scottish Power Onzo portal, (even if that means setting up a VM running Windows to get round the lack of Linux drivers). Is there any way to make the device report to a website other than the one it comes preconfigured to talk to?

The onzo device shows up as a USB HID device, If you are awesome with python you should be able to get things going yourself, the windows executable is actually a bunch of compiled python glommed into an executable with py2exe, you can unpack this with 7zip and access all the compiled .pyo files.
I tried running unpyc on these but most of them choked the software and wouldn't decompile, however unpyc formed the basis for an in memory python debugging tool "pyretic" introduced at last years defcon
This has been updated and although not as handy for decompiling files can be used like "application.py -D sample.pyo > sample.txt" and the leading cruft removed to get at the source.
You can download it here:
http://code.google.com/p/pyretic/downloads/list
It does seem to miss some of the inline comments though, but between the original unpyc and pyretic you should be able to recover most of the code and see how it works.
Three files of interest are client/firmware.pyo and devicefirmware.pyo which "\nContains information of how to access various functionality in the firmware.\n"
and client/blockformats.pyo which describes how to turn the blob of numbers into power readings i think.

* firmware.txt (10.11 KB - downloaded 412 times.)
* devicefirmware.txt (1.97 KB - downloaded 465 times.)
* blockformats.txt (11.1 KB - downloaded 403 times.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:57:02 PM by en4rab » Logged
pingumacpenguin

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »

Thanks en4rab that looks like a very promising start, particularly firmware.txt If I get a bit of time in the next few days I'll see if I can fill in a few of the blanks.

Any progress and I'll let you know.

en4rab

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »

Also you can run the onzo uploader with a --debug parameter, If you can access a windows machine just temporarily to play with it it seems to basically dump all the usb packets into a file.
Once installed the onzo uploader application will be in "C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Onzo\Onzo Uploader" where name is your login name, well that where it is on my win7 box, youll have to turn off the hide hidden folders thing i think as Appdata is hidden.
When run with --debug it creates a file "uploader.log" full of stuff, the interesting bit is it seems to print all the usb packets like this trimmed example:

Code:
INFO Upload start
INFO Session: {session id would be here}
DEBUG ONZO_DisplayWrite(' 01 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 92 9C 02 00 01 2D FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF')
DEBUG ONZO_DisplayCallback(' 01 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 92 9C 02 00 01 2D 4F 15 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00')

In the above line what i think is happening is the software is querying the display to ask it what its firmware version is, i *think* it breaks down something like this:
01 > Seems to be a flag indicating if the message is split across packets 00 = more data to come 01 = last or only packet in message
10 > packet length
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 > padding
92 9C > 16bit random transfer ID, same number is used for response
02 00> this is the device the request is for 00 02 == display 00 01 == sensor sent as wrong endian
01 > get register (see below)
2D > register to get (from firmware.txt this appears to be decimal 45, "FIRMWARE_VERSION = 45"
The response is similarly structured only with firmware version appended and different length byte, if i read it right i have firmware 4F 15 which i think should be interpreted as 79 21 in decimal, bit its hard to tell, the decompile source numbers the registers in decimal which makes my head hurt.

Anyway that might all be wrong, however in the usbprotocol directory of the unpacked driver the utils.pyo gives:
REQUEST_GET_REGISTER = 1
REQUEST_SET_REGISTER = 2
REQUEST_GET_BULK_DATA = 3
REQUEST_GET_NETWORK_LIST = 4
REQUEST_CMD_RESET = 5
REQUEST_LDM_COMMAND = 160
RESPONSE_GET_REGISTER = 1
RESPONSE_SET_REGISTER = 2
RESPONSE_GET_BULK_DATA = 3
RESPONSE_GET_NETWORK_LIST = 4
RESPONSE_LDM_COMMAND = 160
RESPONSE_ERROR = 240
RESPONSE_END_OF_TRANSFER = 241

I hope this info helps, oh and whatever firmware this is running its the one that makes it reboot all the time Smiley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:04:48 PM by en4rab » Logged
wookey

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

Good work there en4rab. Looks like getting enough protocol details to log data is an entirely feasible task, which is excellnt news.

Wookey
Automan

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »

I have one of the rebooting Onzo's

However, I am not sure the whole unit freezes and it is just the display stops.

When it first started to happen I would unplug the battery pack which resets the clock to 2009.

However, if you just power it up via the USB it just seems to come on again showing live data with the current date and time.

That is of course till it goes blank again Sad

Speaking of its software application, they are very naughty as it installs the application in "C:\Users\Automan\AppData\Local\Onzo\Onzo Uploader\"

That is the kind of thing a virus would do.

Automan.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:55:37 PM by Automan » Logged
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »

Automan, there's new Software so may be worth looking that over & talking to the Onzo folks.
I FINALLY got mine up & running this evening, (just found it, & have activated my invite.

Hopefullly Ken can offer some advice here...
I'm running my owl at the moment too, (till I have confidence in this at least) ..the "levels are radically different to the owls statement, as an estimate by as much as 40% though clarification needed).

Hoping it's not a dud!

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Automan

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »

Automan, there's new Software so may be worth looking that over & talking to the Onzo folks.
I FINALLY got mine up & running this evening, (just found it, & have activated my invite.

Hopefullly Ken can offer some advice here...
I'm running my owl at the moment too, (till I have confidence in this at least) ..the "levels are radically different to the owls statement, as an estimate by as much as 40% though clarification needed).

Hoping it's not a dud!

My Gus, is the onzo software at myonzo.com is is an alternate program?

Re comparing readings...

I have a CurrentCost EnviR which so far today says I have used 5.54Kwhrs

My Onzo says 2.7Kwhrs

The onzo reading matches my electric bill a lot more accurately than the Current Cost.

Still, today, 1st June is the promised UK release date for the Current Cost OptiSmart which works with meters that have a LED that flashes per watt or part of watt (depending upon meter model).

Then, the Current Cost one should be 100% accurate but will offer a poor real-time reading, more so when the load is low.

EDIT: CC Now say the end of June for the OptiSmart.

Automan.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:56:16 PM by Automan » Logged
MR GUS

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »

Automan, mine was the i-plan Onzo, however Onzo sent me the key to log in & start up with their software (very nice) perhaps as i'd had it prior to release of the program & had twittered them about it.

I am of course aware that all these monitors should be deemed a guide only, not taken verbatim
However my owl shows... 669 watts

the Onzo shows ...464 watts (current use)

The 200 odd watts difference is entirely consistent since activation, both are currently plugged in.

One other thing the range of the onzo is less than impressive it seems to lose contact at the drop of a hat despite being less than 15 ft away from the clamp! ..it is different as I move around, however we've never had an issue with signal drop via the owl!
I'm uploading several times per day just so I can see what's watt until I'm attuned to the device & it's gradual increase in software display.

The software update was on the announcements of the forum area! ..seems to not be for control unit, merely site software.

Software Update 1.9.6

Fixes
• Updated comments on Learn page.
• Accuracy of comparison groupings increased.
• Dashboard now caters for people who have not uploaded any data.

Functionality
• Tip Tool – A new tool on the dashboard displaying an energy tip. Clicking more detail takes you to the list of money saving tips.
• Universal indicator introduced onto Learn page to add context to comments.
• Knowledge Base added under Help page to provide better support to customers
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:32:33 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »

Incidentally, is anyone after a very slightly second hand unit Onzo going cheap? (not mine I hasten to add) which is as I understand via the iplan scheme, I have no association with the seller  Grin ..frankly judging by the amount i've yet to see come onto the 2nd hand market I guess they've been received well & are being put to good use by sensible folk who've had them for free!

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
tony.
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »

Mr gus,

I would be interested, pm me details if you want

Regards

Tony
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print