navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onzo Delivers! - (at last)  (Read 81580 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »

Tony
Heres the details currently...
It was in my watch list, I don't need one & the price is minescule, though p+p is high.

Worth a punt regardless!

As Tony has called 1st dibs & this is a polite site, I suggest we all do the gentlemanly thing & let him bid alone if he's got an ebay account.
I thought i'd highlight this just in case anyone was after one!
Would be nice if an established member could benefit from a cheapy deal!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130526485482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1398wt_1288

I asked a few questions about it & got this reply..

Dear Mr Gus,

thanks for your concern. The postage is what it is because i will be sending it overnight recorded. i got the item with a previous Southern Electric plan at my old home. I now have a real time online monitoring offering from my current supplier so dont need this (or the other unit i have on auction). The battery seem fine to me - it lasted a few weeks when i last tried it. I dont think the onzo comes with any software - i used the one my utility provider had on their website. no packaging unfortunately but this doesnt matter really given that you'll need to sign for it anyhow.

- nic749
Reply in your email program or through My Messages

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To:nic749
Subject:Details about item:  sent a message about Current Cost electricity home energy monitor - ONZO #130526485482
Sent Date:May-31-11 05:27:44 PDT

Dear nic749,

Hi, is this unit registered with my-iplan software or my onzo?
Have the
batteries failed?
Have you had any problems with the actual base unit
software?
Does it come in the original slimline packaging ?(which slides
easily through a letterbox)
I am rather concerned at the postage though
recorded delivery 1st class packet would only be around 4.50, 5.00 with a
jiffy bag. ..you might fall foul of the fair postage policy ebay now has in
place, I sell stuff too so know what it entails & how we've got to cover
ourselves & time, however recommend you downgrade postage in case anyone
moans, just thought i'd mention seeing as I was looking.
I'm looking to
buy one & hook it up for me to monitor for an elderly friend, based on how
my own unit works.
kind regards
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:01:34 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Automan

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »

Interesting point with a second hand onzo and the online service...

I bought my one from Amazon and it is registered with myonzo

The other source of an Onzo is from various electric supplier deals which include a login to their online services.

However, if you buy one second hand will you be able to use it online for the graphs etc? especially if the original owner has switched suppliers...

At myonzo, it would seem that only the first year of service is included in the price and thus they will soon be making a charge (they have not quoted a price yet).

Automan.
MR GUS

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

Yes, they were cagey as to subscriptions weren't they!?

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »

I've given up with my Onzo.

The rechargeable batteries in the display last about 3 days and every time I upload to the SWALEC website it tells me there is no data to display.

Volunteer moderator
MR GUS

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »

Contact onzo, batteries early on were a problem apparantly, some are on their 4th set...

Noli Timere Messorem
Automan

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »

Contact onzo, batteries early on were a problem apparantly, some are on their 4th set...

Indeed, Rechargeable alkaline battery only work well if you never let them run down Smiley

Never discharge below 75% capacity and they last quite well.

Still, that sort of defeats the object and of course Onzo picked them as they are supposed to be more friendly to the environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_alkaline_battery

Automan.
marshman

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »

One other thing the range of the onzo is less than impressive it seems to lose contact at the drop of a hat despite being less than 15 ft away from the clamp! ..it is different as I move around, however we've never had an issue with signal drop via the owl!

With wireless devices like these you can often vastly improve the range by fitting your own external aerial. Usually they operate on 435MHz so a simple 1/2 wave dipole at around 330mm long connected by a thin piece of co-ax makes the wireless link "bomb proof". I modified a friends current cost envi unit and he can pick up the clamp signal in his house when the clamp is on the output of his inverter in an outbuilding some 25m away. I also did a similar mod to my wireless weather station some years ago.

If you think its worth it I'll post some general instructions on the forum on a new thread.

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
en4rab

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »

I have been doing a little more looking at the onzo_uploader software, just incase anybody is interested I have managed to unpack and run the unpacked python and am currently working on getting pyREtic working. Here is what i have done so far:
The uploader software is an executable created using py2exe, this bundles a python interpreter and all the python files zipped up into a single executable.
7zip can extract the python files fine but if you want to extract the zip manually (or reinsert a patched zip back into the executable) you can identify where the embedded zip file starts by opening the application in a hex editor and searching for the second instance of the hex string "504B0304" what you should see is this:
Code:
Offset      0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7   8  9  A  B  C  D  E  F
002077F0   50 41 44 44 49 4E 47 58  58 50 41 44 44 49 4E 47   PADDINGXXPADDING
00207800   50 4B 03 04 14 00 00 00  08 00 55 8D 19 3D 6C 01   PK........U..=l.
00207810   CB 5F 75 0A 00 00 07 1D  00 00 09 00 00 00 51 75   _u...........Qu

The PK denotes the start of the zip file and this runs to the end of the file, you can select from (and including) the PK to the end of the file and copy it to another file and save it as file.zip then you can manipulate it with the zip tools of your choice, in a similar way it is possible to insert an altered zip file by pasting the altered zip inplace of the one that is already there.

Extracting and running the extracted files
I tried inserting pyREtic into the zip file and got errors (which i think i have fixed now) so i thought i would try extracting all the python files and try running them outside of the exe.
First I installed python 2.5 from here: http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/
(i think any of the 2.5.x series of releases should work but since the app is compiled with 2.5 i thought i should stick to that version)
Then I extracted the exe to C:\onzo so i had all the files to play with, one thing about py2exe is it has a few files not in the zip that are embedded in the exe itself which load the application itself from the zip, it turns out that these arent special and all they do is setup some standart stuff to make py2exe work then:
from client import ui
ui.main()
But if you want to check theses for yourself you can use this script to extract them: http://osdir.com/ml/python.py2exe/2007-11/msg00030.html

Now knowing what to call to start the application and having the files extracted i tried pasting the above python code into start.py then running it in the C:\onzo directory by typing "python start.py"
This just caused an error about not being able to find module client.
I eventually traced this down to the fact the python interpreter didnt seem to recognise .pyo files (i have no idea why or if i did something wrong) the answer to this was to go into each directory and sub directory and run the command "ren *.pyo *.pyc" to change the file extention of all the pyo files to pyc
Now running start.py succeeded and the uploader app appeared on my screen.

Making pyREtic work
This has proved challenging as im not a coder, dont know python, and the app appears to have been exclusively developed on linux so has a few bugs under windows Smiley
Download pyREtic from here: http://code.google.com/p/pyretic/
I extracted this, renamed the folder containing pyretic.py to pyREtic instead of pyREtic_0.5.1, and then copied this folder into the C:\onzo directory
Following the instructions in HOWTO.txt (its in the Docs directory) i changed the start.py to launch pyretic before launching the onzo app like so:
Code:
import sys, os
sys.path.append(os.path.join(".", "pyREtic", "onzo"))
from client import ui
from pyREtic import REpdb
REpdb.set_trace()
ui.main()

Trying to run this threw errors about creating folders that already existed and left me stuck, after much head scratching I discovered that since pyretic was written under linux the error messages are slightly different so you need to edit the pyREtic.py file on line 73 it says:
    if "Errno 17" not in str(err):
This doesnt work under windows, you need to change Errno to Error like so:
    if "Error 17" not in str(err):

Now pyretic should work, run the start.py "python start.py" and you should be presented with the pyretic command shell,
first i set the project with the command "set_project", tell it to use python 2.5 and call the project onzo and download the python files it wants
with that done running the command "fs_um_decompile C:\onzo" should start id decompiling and scrolling loads of stuff up the screen.
Once its done you should have something close to resembleing the source for each .pyc in a .py file of the same name.

en4rab

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »

I knew id forget something!
In order to make the unpacked client run properly you also have to copy the "OnzoDisplayClientLibrary.dll" to the C:\onzo directory or it will bomb out when you try to start the client.
A quicker way to rename all the .pyo files is the entering the following command when inthe onzo directory:
"for /r %x in (*.pyo) do ren "%x" *.pyc"

Secondly once you have run pyretic the fact it outputs the decompiled .py files into the same directory as the .pyc files will stop the unpacked application from working as the decompiled files are not 100% correct, i would suggest having 2 directorys one for investigating the running software and a second copy for decompiling, pyretic should output files to a seperate subdirectory but this seems to be broken and i havent tried to investigate this.

Another file that caught my eye was devicetool.pyo, this appears to be a debugging tool allowing you to poke the display, from decompilig it seems it accepts the following arguments:
   parser.add_option('--firmware', 'action'='store', 'dest'='firmware', 'help'='upgrade firmware (device must be in bootloader mode)')
   parser.add_option('--test', 'action'='store_true', 'dest'='testsuite', 'help'='run full test suite')
   parser.add_option('--retrieve', 'action'='store_true', 'dest'='testretrieve', 'help'='continously retrieve data')
   parser.add_option('--bug165', 'action'='store_true', 'dest'='bug165', 'help'='test bug165')
   parser.add_option('--bug169', 'action'='store_true', 'dest'='bug169', 'help'='test bug169')
   parser.add_option('--bug168', 'action'='store_true', 'dest'='bug168', 'help'='test bug168')
   parser.add_option('--blocktransfer', 'action'='store', 'dest'='blocktransfer', 'help'='Receive all used blocks for specified data_type')
   parser.add_option('-r', '--request', 'action'='store', 'dest'='request', 'default'='0x01', 'help'='register_id (default is %default)')
   parser.add_option('-d', '--data_type', 'action'='store', 'dest'='data_type', 'default'='0x01', 'help'='register_id or data_type (default is %default)')
   parser.add_option('-n', '--network', 'action'='store', 'dest'='network', 'default'='0x02', 'help'='network_id (default is %default)')
   parser.add_option('-t', '--transaction', 'action'='store', 'dest'='transaction', 'default'='0xDEAD', 'help'='network_id (default is %default)')

I havent been able to get all of these to work, but running it without arguments gives the following output:
C:\onzo>python devicetool.pyc
2011-06-02 18:57:04,923 device          DEBUG   ONZO_DisplayInit()=0

SENDING FRAME:
frame_fin=01 frame_size=016                ' 01 10'
    enc_0=0x0000 enc_1=0x0000000000000000  ' 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00'
    trans_id=0xDEAD net_id=0x0002          ' AD DE 02 00'
    resp_type=0x01 reg_id=0x01             ' 01 01'
    payload                                ''
2011-06-02 18:57:04,924 device          DEBUG   ONZO_DisplayWrite(' 01 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 AD DE 02 00 01 01 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF')
2011-06-02 18:57:04,946 device          DEBUG   ONZO_DisplayCallback(' 01 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 AD DE 02 00 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00')

RECEIVED FRAME:
frame_fin=01 frame_size=018                ' 01 12'
    enc_0=0x0000 enc_1=0x0000000000000000  ' 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00'
    trans_id=0xDEAD net_id=0x0002          ' AD DE 02 00'
    resp_type=0x01 reg_id=0x01             ' 01 01'
    payload                                ' 00 00'

RECEIVED MESSAGE: len=18 '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xad\xde\x02\x00\x01\x01\x00\x00'
                  trans_id=0xDEAD
                    net_id=0x0002
             req/resp type='get_register'
     data_type/register_id=0x01
                    value0=0x0000
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "devicetool.pyo", line 425, in <module>
  File "devicetool.pyo", line 109, in main
  File "device.pyo", line 44, in wrapper
  File "device.pyo", line 182, in message_recv
  File "usbprotocol\utils.pyo", line 216, in message_read
  File "device.pyo", line 177, in fr
  File "device.pyo", line 126, in _frame_read

Which shows the format of the usb packets quite clearly.
I hope this is of interest.
MR GUS

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »

Marshman, that's good to know if I need it , thank you.
Currently (as one does) i'm wandering around with it so it's not in a settled position, the test will be when I stick some foil insulation foam into the meter cupboard as to whether it still receives....

in which case I may well be asking for the info, though i'm sure others would appreciate that sort of gadget fix regardless!
good to have accessible cumulative knowledge.

Thanks again.

Noli Timere Messorem
Automan

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »

I see that Onzo on eBay went for 51.01 (inc P&P).

I was going to check the current price for a new one at amazon but the product is no longer on sale!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onzo-Wireless-Smart-Energy-Kit/dp/B0045YMSK2

http://smartenergykit.com/

Automan.
MR GUS

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »

I haven't seen one go for so much, maybe word is spreading on the product in general?
Mine was 39 as I recall, I wasn't keen on paying more..
just keep your eyes peeled, if I see another I'll add it to the thread.

Noli Timere Messorem
firepete

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »

http://www.electricity-monitor.com/onzo-smart-energy-kit-p-179.html  new
Automan

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »

I noticed today for quite a long time the display showing ---- rather than live data.

As my load has been low I wondered if the battery pack in the transmitter was actually being charged properly or had run down...

Time to open up the transmitter Smiley

You will see the battery pack is like the one in the display unit but is made out of rechargeable alkaline AAA's and just has one screw on the battery cover.

And like the display it would seem you can fit three normal alkaline AAA's

Anyway, checking the battery pack I get 4.80volts so for a 4.5volt battery pack I would say it is ok.

Pairing was not lost while the battery was out but today's energy figure starts off again at zero.

Automan.
MR GUS

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230646803502&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_949

New unit entering the last few hours if anyone want's to punt a bid!

Noli Timere Messorem
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: