navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onzo Delivers! - (at last)  (Read 87841 times)
tony.
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »

battery voltage sounds funny.

standard non rechargeable battery 1.5 volt
standard re chargeable battery 1.2 volts.

Im sure there are lithium aa cells with 3v per battery.

can you advise what the battery sticker says?

Tony
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »

WELL that was a deal ..21.40 & 5.00 p+p final price for a new one!

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Automan

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »

WELL that was a deal ..21.40 & 5.00 p+p final price for a new one!

I guess however they would have no web features unless they were a southern electric customer?

Batteries in device are 1.5v rechargeable alkaline cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_alkaline_battery

http://www.shoppureenergy.com/rechargeable-batteries/

Automan.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:56:54 PM by Automan » Logged
ed.randall

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »

I'm a SWALEC customer, we've had our ONZO since the last week in May.  

Here are my experiences so far:-

Very pleased with the device initially.  It exposed the inefficiency of a number of household appliances, most notably old-style fluorescent tube lighting and my desktop PC.  The desktop PC was cured somewhat - during my initial rather zealous Onzo monitoring, trying to nail down that last 30W of usage that would not go away, I turned off the main switch at the fuse box;  the resultant surge when I turned it back on (yes the PC was previously powered off and connected via a supposedly anti-surge adaptor) finished off the old PC power supply good and proper.  A new "greener" one has replaced it, but it's still quite greedy compared to the laptop.

The USB charger was a very tight fit in the mains socket; Last month SWALEC sent out a new USB charger to all customers, apparently there had been issues with them being so tight that the 3-pin mains pin part physically separated from the body, leaving live mains exposed.  They also sent a reply paid envelope so that the defective one could be returned to them.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the battery was running down quite quickly;   By yesterday it was running down within half a day.  Often the unit would lose its connection with the sender and I'd have to re-pair them when this happened.
I contacted SWALEC and received this reply:

I am sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced with the Onzo device.

Unfortunately this does appear to be fault which has affected a few of our Iplan customers. We have been experiencing some problems with our Iplan battery packs recently and we have released a new firmware to fix these problems.

Rather than just sending a new battery I have arranged for a new device to be sent out to you and this device will have the new firmware on which will hopefully prevent this problem from happening again. You should receive this within the next 14 working days. Please note that you should receive two Iplan packs. One will be containing the device and sensor and you will receive another pack with the USB charger in.

I agree with the other posters, it would be nice to be able to get at the raw data eg. as a spreadsheet.  I notice on the SWALEC flash usage bar-chart there's an issue, the last day of each month is always empty.  No bar for 31st August, 31st July, 30th June etc...

These problems aside, I'm still very happy with the device (it was free, after all) and the service/support from SWALEC.   We're much more aware of our wasteful ways and seem to be on target to same 10% over the year.   Not sure that we will save any money after the price hikes, but...
MR GUS

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »

Turns out my Onzo unit was an  iplan unit (a swalec / scottish & southern) ..& the nice folk at onzo gave me a *key* invite to upload on their site.

Np problem, but it appears after chatting today mine is a pre production unit s/n 1025 & was essentially "scalped" so shouldn't have been for sale & cannot accept firmware upgrades adding features & stabilizing aspects.
So for now be aware the iplan units DO appear to be a slightly different kettle of fish.
Though wouldn't harm to ask those who have cracked the software & compared the 2.

So if offered, a swalec, first thing to do is verify upgrades away from iplan software do work.

As this is pre-prod it may be unique to mine, but we don't know how many were field tested prior to release.

Very kindly though they are sending me out a brand new unit with the latest software, (something they need not do) of course they have asked for the name & general info on the seller of this unit! ..very nice of them.

Onzo seem to have a very decent approach to sorting out customers regardless, it seemed to me that as I was uploading to their site I was a valued customer to be looked after, "wow" don't think thoughts like that often these days! 

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
MR GUS

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »

update..

I received my new Onzo this morning a nice Jaffa Orange one to replace the snot green one  ...bright, won't get lost too often as it travels around checking consumption  (as you do).

The Support I've received alone makes it worthy of the 79.95 price.
Good to know you can speak to support & uk based designers at this stage in Onzo evolution if you have a problem.
They seem completely transparent & open to to improvements by means of the my onzo forum, software upgrades seem to appear regularly.

The longer you have the unit connected the more is available, unlike a lot of "innovations" this one doesn't rest on it's laurels.

very commendable unit & company!

All in all it is  turning our consumption around WILLINGLY!
As a non tecchy type I love this unit for it's simplicity, even grandma could use it unlike the fiddly owl
(the owl was our "gateway unit" into monitoring)
If you wan't a unit the whole family can benefit from (no electronics degree required) I'd highly recommend this as an all rounder.

Noli Timere Messorem
JohnS

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »

On the whole I like my Onzo.

I have a few gripes however.

Firstly, it underreads.  I am not sure by how much, but my Onzo measured consumption has only been one or two kWhs below my import all through the summer and I cannot believe that I am exporting that little.  I shall get a better estimate in the dim days of December when PV production is at a minimum.

Secondly, it gives minimal history other than its graphical web displays which are only to the nearest kW per day.  I get round this by setting the unit cost to 10p and thus the last week's cost on the unit tells me the number of units used.  Web totals are based on last 7 days not calendar weeks so are not much use.  At least my Efergy unit displays calendar weekly and monthly totals, although I have had to incorrectly set the date so that its week corresponds to Onzo's monday to sunday week and my meter reading time of late on sunday evenings.

John

2.1kWp solar PV
MR GUS

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2011, 02:07:39 PM »

John, why not add it to the suggestions on the forum?
I'd find a set pattern week handy too, & surely they could get round that in their software algorithms without much trouble?
As I recall, Onzo runs to +/- 5% accuracy generally the kit is an estimation / guideline not a nailed down amount, the fact that it adjusts every second is way better for readings compared to my owl's updates every 5 seconds? that instantaneous reaction to load makes it far more worthwhile imho, can't wait to see their dual fuel unit come to light.

Noli Timere Messorem
Automan

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »

You got an Orange one!  faint

I asked them if I could get one in another colour and they said no...

Automan.
MR GUS

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »

You got an Orange one!  faint

Automan.

i'M  ****special****

flyingpig

However, there's more to come!  whistlie

Noli Timere Messorem
Automan

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »

It's not the new Zigbee Smartmeter version is it?

http://onzo.com/solutions/the-onzo-zigbee-display/

Automan.

You got an Orange one!  faint

Automan.

i'M  ****special****

flyingpig

However, there's more to come!  whistlie
MR GUS

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »

don't feel bad Automan (besides you have so many monitors! ..what is it with that anyhow?

..they sent it to me by mistake, & so i've got to send it back (theoretically)  Grin

I can't tell if it's a zigbee unit, ..but it's certainly orange.
Brand new sealed unit arrived today (green).
Good old Onzo!

Noli Timere Messorem
Dames

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »

Hi all ,
       New to this site , found it while trawling around to find about replacing the battery pack on my Onzo - I'm no longer with SE whom I got it from via I-plan .
Firstly I must say that this was the hardest registration I've ever had to do on the web , I can never read those wibbly wobbly letter things :0) .

But onto the Onzo , 1 question and one bit of info.

Question: Does anyone know where I can get hold of the battery type that is in the main meter part of the onzo , ? The +ve end is flat rather than a raised nobbly bit.

Info: I've seen people asking about putting the data onto excel which I too would like to do , it strikes me that currently the Onzo is designed more for the advantage of the electric Co's than the individual given that it gives them a huge database of usage! or am I just being cynical?

Amyway with that in mind I emailed Onzo a couple of days ago and recieved a reply saying that later this year the ability to use the info yourself should become available.

This is what I got:

Currently its not possible for you to transfer your data to an excel spreadsheet, however our lovely tech team are currently working on this feature, which will hopefully be released later this year.

We will of course be in touch once this feature is available.

Cheers

Dames
CeeBee

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

But onto the Onzo , 1 question and one bit of info.

Question: Does anyone know where I can get hold of the battery type that is in the main meter part of the onzo , ? The +ve end is flat rather than a raised nobbly bit.

Not that it answers your question, but ONZO might send you a new battery pack if you ask (I don't actually know whether they will or not). If you were thinking of trying to make your own pack to replace the existing one, then you know they are rechargeable alkalines? Does it matter whether the cells have got a nobbly +ve end or not? Don't know what would happen if you made a pack out of some other kind of rechargeable, but I don't expect it would be good - not designed to charge other kinds appropriately! You know that it's also designed to run solely off USB power (no battery pack inserted, e.g. use a USB charger), though makes makes it less easy to move it around. And also designed to run off ordinary alkaline batteries (not made into a pack, no 'flying lead'). If you want to risk further experiments, then using separate rechargeable alkaline cells and removing them to charge yourself when needed might work. Ditto NiCd or NiMh, though these would supply less voltage to start with so might not last as long, if they work at all (a bit like me trying NiMh in my GPS, which takes 4 x AA - at only 1.2V per cell, they are barely above the operating voltage to start with - 5 * NiMh would be ideal if they'd fit inside!).

Dames

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2012, 06:02:44 PM »

Hi CeeBee ,
               Thnx for the info I shall re-read and do some experimenting.

Cheers

Dames
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: