navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smellingtons....  (Read 8168 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 08:54:21 PM »

Grin
         B

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »

Just buy decent wellies https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/gb/Dunlop-Purofort-Yellow-Professional-Safety-Wellingtons/m-4817.aspx I've spent my workin life in wellies and I hate the feckin things but these last forever. There's nay point repairing them cos the soles wear out and you get chill blanes just get a decent pair.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
linesrg

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 12:20:48 AM »

Paul,

Now I know where I can get a pair of wellies that will make look like a roughneck...............

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
camillitech

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »

Paul,

Now I know where I can get a pair of wellies that will make look like a roughneck...............

Regards

Richard

And they are so expensive you qualify for free delivery  hysteria Seriously though, a pair of those wellies saved my life once, basically cos every fish farmer, crofter and fisherman on Skye wears them.
Back in the day when I was a commercial diver and fisherman the local fish farmers came to my house to ask me to do a diving job. This was long before mobile phones and even land lines where I live. They dutifully left there pile of 'yeller wellies' at the door and came in with a bottle of rum!!!! I kid you not and it was well before lunchtime. When the rum was finished we all donned our wellies and I went out to do the job. I had not been fishing that day cos it was too rough and we were all too inebriated to notice at least two of us had the wrong pair on. It was not till I was back home that I realised someone had left me size 10s instead of size 8s. The following day when I was fishing I got a rope wrapped around my foot whilst shooting my creels. Luckily the wellie was so loose it came off my foot and headed to the bottom of the sea instead of me  fingers crossed! After that I did several things, I always wore larger wellies than I needed and declined drink during the day  Wink

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 02:06:32 PM »

I had a friend who went to the bottom just like that Paul
   He could not swim a stroke. It took the boat 15 minutes to get back and pick him up when he surfaced. He doesn't  know how he got his foot out of the loop but the rope must have gone slack just enough and away he went to the top. He quit . He was a changed man after that. He even sold his house and moved into the City with his wife and child. I recall him telling me about it and in the process reliving the whole episode. It was not a pleasent experience  for me. He also became extremely  violent. He attacked another neighbour and lefT him unrecognisable.
     So good members.   Be sure to  keep your feet on the deck. Shuffle along  don't lift them. Keep them out of the loop. The trip to  the bottom is the stuff of nightmares. freeze
          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 08:12:39 PM »

Just buy decent wellies https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/gb/Dunlop-Purofort-Yellow-Professional-Safety-Wellingtons/m-4817.aspx I've spent my workin life in wellies and I hate the feckin things but these last forever. There's nay point repairing them cos the soles wear out and you get chill blanes just get a decent pair.
I couldnít be seen walking in those yellow wellies Paul. Folks would be laughing. What I did do was to buy a pair of Hunter Argyll wellies at around £45. The left one has just started leaking after 7 months and this is just dog walking 3 miles each day. So, on to the next suggestion.
Stan
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:47:46 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Bodidly

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »

Dickies Landmaster. By far the most comfortable ones I have found for sensible money. Normally get around 3-4 years out of a pair around the farm
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2019, 10:04:26 PM »

I  got a pair of Wellies about 4 years ago. 15 euros they cost. There were badged pairs of Hunters in the same shop for 45euros. I asked the shopkeeper which was the best buy and he said the ones for 15 euros. They dont leak he said. But then they don't stand up on their own. The Hunters looked good but I went and bought China,s best.
Sure enough  they flopped all over the place and you had to sit on a chair to put them on. Still no leaks but to be honest  it's like wearing rubber gloves on your feet.  They look fine when I put them on but cold.
          Biff

WillieG

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2019, 10:15:55 PM »

I couldnít be seen walking in those yellow wellies Paul.  

Ah but you can get them in green as well Stan Smiley:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Hevea-Purofort-Safety-Wellington/dp/B00C97YUAS/ref=cts_sh_1_vtp?th=1&psc=1

Cheers Willie
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:18:34 PM by WillieG » Logged

Off-grid in NW Scotland since 1986, 2 x 2kw wind turbines, 2 x Outback VFX3024E, 1200ah battery, 3.5 kw solar, Outback FM80, Perkins/MeccAlte 11 kva genset.
camillitech

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2019, 07:34:52 AM »

I  got a pair of Wellies about 4 years ago. 15 euros they cost. There were badged pairs of Hunters in the same shop for 45euros. I asked the shopkeeper which was the best buy and he said the ones for 15 euros. They dont leak he said. But then they don't stand up on their own. The Hunters looked good but I went and bought China,s best.
Sure enough  they flopped all over the place and you had to sit on a chair to put them on. Still no leaks but to be honest  it's like wearing rubber gloves on your feet.  They look fine when I put them on but cold.
          Biff

Aye Biff, you cannae beat Chinese wellies and their 'quality control' hey.

They obviously have their feet on the opposite legs in China  hysteria

But, like you said, they're so soft you don't actually notice they're on the wrong feet  hysteria

My recently purchased Chinese waders, 'simply the best'  fingers crossed!

Moxi

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »

The age old Yorkshire remedy to leaking willies or any footwear for that matter..............simply place your a plastic bag over each foot before donning the footwear and hey presto you have protection from any leaks and you get another few (tens off?) years from your footwear........... not that we are cheap or owt just careful with our brass  signofcross

Moxi
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »

Do you use dustbin liners Moxi? Grin
Boots that canít stay erect are my pet hate although some shops do have an insert to give the necessary stiffness.
Bodily, WillieG thanks for pointing me to alternatives. Iíll give them a go and report back.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Bodidly

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »

Bodily, WillieG thanks for pointing me to alternatives. Iíll give them a go and report back.
Stan

I think that they are basically the same boot. They used to Dunlop Landmasters then there was a split. Available with and without steel toecaps
camillitech

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »

The age old Yorkshire remedy to leaking willies or any footwear for that matter..............simply place your a plastic bag over each foot before donning the footwear and hey presto you have protection from any leaks and you get another few (tens off?) years from your footwear........... not that we are cheap or owt just careful with our brass  signofcross

Moxi

The age old Highland way to get your waterproof trousers on without removing yer wellie is to put the bag on the outside  Cool

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: