navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smellingtons....  (Read 4753 times)
knighty

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 11:26:18 PM »

I've got to agree..... they're all rubbish these days !

we get through a lot of them at work... doesn't matter the make, they all split, either on the sole or on the curve just behind your toes where the top curves down to the side

I've taken to waiting for them to be on special offer and then buying 50 pairs at a time,  the manager in the local ARCO branch phones me when they have some cheap ones in - normally about £3 a pair !

if we run out cheap ones, it's about £15 a time for the next cheapest ones.... and they don't last any longer... we've tried them all from £3 to £50 and it makes no difference Sad
desperate
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 11:34:34 PM »

Try some "Blunnys" Aussies finest and no laces to muck about with, not quite gumbies but pretty waterproof anyway.

Desp
Philip R

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »

When I lived in Somerset, Mole Valley Farmers stocked some good wellies. Good quality and well priced under £10. (Oct 2009). Alas, Cheshire has no comparable outlet in the same league as MVFs.

Years ago I had a pair of Uniroyal safety wellies with a steel toe caps. They were good.

On the subject of Rigger boots, some employers don't approve of their use, citing high incidence of ankle twisting.

Reminds me of an old rhyme from work:

I wish I was a welder and wear a funny hat.
I can ponse about in Riggers boots and look a proper twat.

I digress!!

I have a pair of Rigger boots too. (But no Middle eastern tea towel or Mickey Mouse hat for headwear), from Arco, quite comfortable but a bit wide across the foot. Wheras wellies can be a bit narrow or tight across the top of foot, making difficult to remove without removing your socks at the same time.
dtl

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 07:22:05 AM »

A large blob of Tigerseal will repair a tear in a welly, although this does not provide a cosmetically attractive finish.
martin

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »

Just received delivery of a pair of what are to all and intents and purposes a pair of green Hunter wellies that cost me a princely £18 inc vat and delivery....... They're branded "Lowther", and come from the company that makes Hunters... (from the big butch womans's site! ralph)  -just Google "Lowther Wellies".

As we live in the sticks, we tend to "live" in wellies at this time of year, so I splashed out! garden

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Heinz

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »

I've got a pair of black Dunlop ribbed wellies from the local agri supply pace at the cattle market. They've survived ten? years or use and only recently split at the sides behind the toes where they flex. I tried various solvents and glues to see what would stick them and nothing worked until I tried the wee tube of PVC glue which came with an airbed. Got some in the cracks, and a wee smear of it over the top and left to dry for a day. They've been fine for a month or so now...  Grin

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
mikey9

Fetlar....

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »

Another vote for Shoo Goo.

I am using to stick the soles (toes come adrift) from Camper Shoes (rubber soles to Leather!!) back on. Hopefully will extend life by another 6 months to a year.

We are going to try on leaky wellies next.

5kw WBS with 1kW Back Boiler - 6m sq Genersys Solar Thermal, 3.05kWp Yingli PV, 10 raised beds, 2 apple, 1 plum and 1 pear tree - and two little helpers
First 2 mWh produced April 2011 ;-)
numenius

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »

Argyles for me - proper "farmers" wellies sort of thing and they last me for absolutely years and are not so cold as my wifes fancy "horsey" type (you know the ones I mean - mentioned elsewhere on here with the pointless strap thing at the top - they always seem to leak within about 6 months and split within a year), despite me wearing mine probably 10 days to her one and almost constantly at this time of year. I think in the last 20 years I've bought 2 pairs, and that's only been 'cos I've cut a manky big hole in the first pair. In fact, this current pair I've almost worn the tread away, which considering they are almost only used on grass and mud, tells you the sort of mileage I get out of them. I think they are proper rubber too as they flex without splitting even when old. My chainsaw wellies are actually marked as beiung made from natural rubber, though they are too heavy for general use. Thinking about it, I have more pairs of wellies than I have dress shoes!  Grin   
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »

I’m still having to bin my wellies every nine months because a crack develops on top, at the big toe side. The first hint always comes from a cold damp feeling when in the brook with the dogs!
There is a purpose-made gel manufactured now called Stormsure (no connection to me). You put a blob on and around the defect and leave for 12 hours after which it has spread out to an elastic film. There’s loads on eBay and so I just ordered a 5g tube for £2.75. I’ll report back.
Stan
......and there’s a YouTube video ‘Repair your Wellington Boots’ showing the operation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:56:51 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »

The only thing wrong with these solvents type repairs is that the chemicals can enter the body through the soft tissues of the feet.
 You remember years ago,the one about putting a clove of garlic in your shoe and after a few hours,you will get the smell of it on your breath.
I would honestly think twice before i would put anything like that near my feet, perhaps if it got a suitable period of curing,,,maybe but otherwise, no way.
                                              Biff
  I would fork out for another pair of wellies. Those repairs never last any decent length of time, anyhow.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
azps

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »

The resurrection of this ancient thread has reminded me of my old pair of muckers, a leather boot / rubber wellington hybrid with a duck-feet webbing pattern over the toes. My girlfriend at the time looked at them and said "what are those?". I said "they're called Dickies". Her: "I'm not surprised."

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »

I did hear many years ago that putting a clove of garlic in your shoe made you limp...  Wink

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »

That would be nearer the truth N2,
                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »

Still using the same pair of yellow fish farm wellies I was when this thread started  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: