navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chainsaw sharpener  (Read 10154 times)
hawkie

« on: November 26, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »

Hi

Has anyone any experience of chainsaw sharpeners?  I have been using a round file and guess work on the angles (just following the original angle) But now looking into an electric sharpener. There are many to chose from varying in price from about 25.00 up to hundreds of quid.

have been looking on flebay for around 30 to 40

Grin Grin Hawkie  Grin Grin
Billy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:57:45 AM »

Never used an electric one but the best I found is the human hand closely aided by a guide for getting the angles right.  Using a new file helps to get a nice edge and don't forget to flat file the tops when they stick up above the guide.

Billy

Grin Grin Grin
Bodidly

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »

I second Billy. Just make sure you have the rite file and guide for your chain.

Beau
DonL

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »

I third Billi, You can do it on the saw. It doesn't take a many strokes on each tooth and as long as you are careful with the angles and use a sharp file of the right diameter it works really well.

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP, 40kWh Nissan Leaf
renewablejohn

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

Unless your a professional tree surgeon you should not really need to sharpen the chain that often providing your not making school boy errors of trying to cut nails or stones on the ground.  I use a chainsaw on a regular basis and have 2 chains and bars the "old" chain for rough logging work and the "new" chain for tree felling. I normally run the logging chain for 2 years then replace with new chain and bar which then becomes the tree felling chain. Takes about 10 mins to swap chains.
guydewdney

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »

this type are cheap

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »

I have no hesitation at all in recommending the Dremel chainsaw-sharpening attachment. I have the cordless 10.8V model which does up to 35000 rpm. My chain needs a 4mm dia stone but the kit has 3 stone diameters. The advantages are that the angle guide makes visual alignment a cinch and depth setting is automatic. Best of all, it puts negligible load on the chain and so you do not need to clamp it to prevent vibration. You only need to spend a second or two on each tooth and the chain cuts like new. The stone last quite a long time but a replacement is less than 2 on ebay.
Regards,Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »

I'll second that.  I use my Dremel and find it a breeze to use - replacement stones come in pack of three and are reasonably priced.

I tend to sharpen after every other use and it makes a big difference.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
Mike McMillan

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 06:57:12 AM »

I agree, dremmel makes chain sharpening a doddle

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
Amy

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »

An angle grinder is permissable to take down the depth guides but I always do the teeth by eye.
When I was a kid we had a monster Mc Culloch saw with 22'' bar, manual oiling and a sharpening guide which never worked smoothly, so I learned to do it by eye.

That saw was a huge dinosaur, like something out of a 1950s canadian movie

wookey

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 12:56:02 AM »

Another vote for the dremel tool. It really does work very well - quick and easy. Takes a little bit of practice/understanding to learn to do it evenly, or to centre-up a chain which is cutting to one side, but a lot easier with the dremel tool than by hand.

Wookey
Ivan

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »

I'll have to look up the dremel tool attachment - will speed up a job I've never got time to do.

Sometimes, I think you don't realise how blunt a chain has got. Admittedly when you start seeing smoke as the chain tries to polish the wood to death, it's obvious, but it's really noticeable how good a sharp chain is. My 50cc  chainsaw at full tilt will chop a 24" log in just a few seconds, whereas when it needs sharpening, it would take 60s or more. Mine seems to need sharpening fairly regularly, but I guess chain quality also comes into it.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
frotter

I'm not gay or owt....

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »

Dremel by eye for me - too stingy to buy gadget. Works nice and quick.......

bike

HE WHO CONTROLS THE LARD - CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!!   Its me, incidentally..
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »

If you ebay the kit with the various pieces & angle guide marker it's often around the 9.60 mark, delivered.
My seller preferences are,  hendr0ld  or ancatown1  both despatch promptly with a proper invoice.

Also useful for sharpening those mower blades (also available as a seperate kit, again with an angle guide)
Dremel is good, do consider a Dremel 4486 Multi Chuck if contemplating treating yourself to a dremel, far less hassle than collets, whilst not being universal they take alot of accy's

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Tesla 3 owner,..soon (missus bought it on the sly) MARITAL STRIFE
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
hawkie

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »

Hi All

thanks for the info as usual

I have seen a file based kit on the bay that looks quite good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170573292620&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Take a look and see what you think

Cheers

Grin Grin Hawkie  Grin Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: