navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Land burning  (Read 3815 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: December 21, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »

Fire season in the country side is here again

I look out of the window and mountains are in flame

That happens each year 

Would be intresting to know how much kwh are burnt and wasted  , instead of organizing a harvesting idea for all the furze , fern and more  and burn that in the house

Is that commen in the UK as well ?

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
guydewdney

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »

yes - they burn the old vegetation so that new veg can grow.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »

Aye Billi,

it's a yearly ritual in these parts too. Every year the 'shepherds' go out with their boxes of matches and set the place on fire. They say it's to kill off the ticks and promote new growth but in reality it's just something that they like doing  Roll Eyes I've lived here over twenty years and watched 'shepherds' who can't be ar5ed doing any gathering, shearing, dipping or worming faithfully turn up every year with their Zippo. You can always tell the type because they're too lazy to light a fire more than a few paces from the road  fume

There's a strict code about when and where you can do it, and a 'muirburn' should never be left unattended or done at night but I've seen them burn for days. I've seen telegraph poles set alight, fences burnt, trees destroyed, power cables torched and almost had my water pipe melted  Shocked

I'm sure there are responsible muir burning crofters, farmers and shepherds somewhere but they're thin on the ground in these parts. Still I only got my ex navy hydro power cable because some clown had set the old unarmoured one on fire  Grin

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Billy
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:56:09 PM »

So the moral of the story is, Paul, if it might come in useful then set a fire nearby.   extrahappy

billy

Grin Grin Grin
Ivan

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »

I thought it was illegal in England, though not Scotland.

I spent 6weeks working near Galashiels in Scotland at the end of summer back in 1990 as an archaeologist - we were working outdoors all day, and we saw the sky turned black by the filthy smoke created by such burns. The smell is awful and we all suffered from coughs and sore throats, even though we were probably 10miles away from where the stubble was burning.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
wookey

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »

yes, stubble-burning has been banned in England for years. (15?)
http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/businesses/agriculture/93431.aspx

Wookey
dtl

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »

Stubble burning in England is not allowed, however heather burning/muirburn is still acceptable.
wyleu
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »

Glider pilots are, only now, forgetting what burnt stubble smelt and looked like
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »

burning has been illegal here for years and there is a heavy fine if they catch anyone lighting the heather.
       unfortunatly,the longer the undergrowth goes without being burned off,the greater the damage when it eventually gets torched,
     so it is hard to know the answer,lighting the gorse and then doing a runner is very irresponsible but that is exactly what happens here.
                        biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: