navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small house WBS / Solar system  (Read 45243 times)
cjw

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »

Hi Stuart,

Attached is the plan for mine.  I haven't added in everything on the drawing for the solar as it's supplied as a package.  The solar has three temperature probes: one on the panels and two in the store, but I haven't read about the logic yet.  The thermal store does have two thermal pockets for the PRT probes.

I'm ending up with a three pump solution as that's what the thermal store manufacturer (McDonald Engineering) recommends.

If I expand the system I'll probably do something similar to yourself, but I'd like to see how this one works first and how often we're actually going to use the WBS.

Cheers,
Chris

* plumb002-Model.pdf (38.98 KB - downloaded 306 times.)
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2010, 01:07:15 AM »

Due to not allowing space for my loading valve setup, when I've built the fireplace.  banghead
I had a cuppa tea and a rethink. version 12 was born.

Also moved the gas boilers return higher up as its pointless for it to be heating the rest of that water in the slave tank.

please let me know if there's anything obvious!

Stuart.

* stus design ver12.jpg (125.67 KB, 827x1061 - viewed 730 times.)

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
cjw

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »

Looks good.  Would the coil on the second tank be better being at the top of the tank?  Maybe it's something that can't be changed, but I can't see how the hot water at the top of the second tank will be useful apart from the situation where you've heated the water with WBS and you need the gas boiler on at the same time.

Also is there a way you could circulate the heat from the thermal store to buffer tank should the solar get too hot instead of dumping heat?

Out of interest, what TMV valve are you using on your central heating?  I thought about using one but I'm a little worried about using it as I have an anti-boil stat on the top of my tank that is going to turn on the central heating to a couple of bathroom radiators with no TMVs to dissipate heat.  If I install the TMV then I might end up recircing the CH without removing any of the v. hot water.

Cheers,
Chris
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »

Hi Chris,

Good point about the coil in the second tank, however is something i cant move. I intend to see how were doing with the solar input and out hot water use. It may be i end up swapping the 2 coils if were making too much solar hot water. There boiler coils anyway so not ideal might need to run them in series eventually.
I also think I need to add an open vent to the tank. The valve is a bodge as i cant fit the components to make a loading valve behind the fire. there is only room for a all in one unit. maybe one day I'll find a second hand one to install.

I'll have to look at the TMV's the CH one is rated to flow hotter than the other model.

Stuart

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated

Nr. Tow Law
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »

The TMV is Caleffi and does not mention boiling water protection, so should be OK then. Long as the valves are set right!

Ver 13 Showing the pipe layout as it is going in and the Rad on its side to aid flow

* stus design ver13.jpg (117.3 KB, 827x1213 - viewed 616 times.)

Nr. Tow Law
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2010, 11:35:59 PM »

here's the link to the construction phase

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11189.0.html

Nr. Tow Law
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: