navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chainsaw sharpener  (Read 9596 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 10:27:51 AM »

Hawkie, theres always room fro a dremel in your kit.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Bodidly

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »

Looks like a good quality file set. That is the Style of guide I always use.

Beau
tony.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »

1.50 for a round file for me.
Keep a spare chain and give the other a few strokes  Smiley now and again
Tony
Justme

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »

Have a look at this

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/2010/08/oregon-power-sharp/

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
qeipl

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »

Round file with a guide.
Rotate the file every now and again so that you're not rubbing a blunt file on the tooth. Replace the file as soon as it's feeling blunt all round.
Two rubs with the file per tooth EVERY time you refill the fuel tank - takes about 2 minutes. Leaving the teeth to go blunt before you sharpen is a false economy - creates heat and sweat and slows the job down.
Always refill the chain oil tank when you do the fuel tank and always use proper chain oil (not waste engine oil which just gets thrown off the chain).

Our Money: how to shrink government, boost business, eliminate poverty, and make the economy work properly for everyone.

A book for people who are perplexed about the economy.
Available from Amazon in paperback and eBook.
DonL

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »

One thing which hasn't been mentioned which I think is important is to set the saw up properly for sharpening. I clamp the blade in a vice with brass, or more accurately bits of copper pipe split along the length, flattened and bent into an L, in the jaws to protect the coating on the blade. With the saw held firmly in the right place to work on you can do a good job with file and guide.
I normally sharpen before I start a session,it might be good practise to sharpen more often but I'm normally in a field somewhere and it's easier to change the chain if you have a misadventure or it gets blunt.
One thing I've learnt is that if you do encounter some barbed wire or even touch the ground the chain is blunted immediately and really hard to resharpen. I normally give it to the professionals then having found an organisation that can be relied on to do a good job - some don't, but I suppose with a Dremel or similar you could recover a quite badly blunted chain.

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
hawkie

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »

Hi Guys

Looks like Mrs hawkie has bought me the file based sharpener from theebay for Christmas (much better than sox)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170573292620&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will tell you all about it once Santa has delivered it in just over 2 weeks time

Grin Grin Hawkie  Grin Grin

County 4x4

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »

That's the option I'd have gone for Hawkie.

If you're not careful with power sharpening stuff you can end up blueing the chain which isn't going to help anything. With a file and guide, as long as you learn to do it properly (ie tilt the guide towards the front of the bar so that the front edge rests on the depth gauge) you can sharpen up anytime and anywhere without needing a power supply. When I worked as a forester we'd generally touch the chain up at every refuelling - just a couple of strokes per tooth to keep it at best performance, as well as making life easier for the saw and the operator. The kit you got also has a depth gauge setter so don't forget to use it - the sharpest cutters in the world won't cut if the depth gauges are too high!

Andy
peterpiper

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »

If doing any more than 'a touch up', files seem to last me for only one sharpening session.

When using power sharpener, to avoid overheating (metal softens then won't hold edge) wet stone with Turps Substitute before each tooth.

I use a Ferm Combitool (old mains model), with appropriate diameter stone, handheld.
I just dip the stone in a capfull of Turps, as heat is produced it has to evaporate the Turps before the temperature can rise further. Also keeping the speed down helps.

I also use Turps for cooling when drilling metal, squirted occasionally from an old shower gel bottle. You could do this if using a chainsaw attachment.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: