navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seem to be over the main problems, but still not right..........  (Read 11530 times)
Mostie

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »

Before I reply to anything..... George  Huh No need to throw the towel in.

Roger, the ideal inlet temp would 'higher the better' higher = > COP
Another thing that just occurred to me is that your using fresh water, you might actually have ice accumulating inside the ground heat exchanger, possibly from about 8deg inlet and below, reducing the flow rate.
If you have a ground loop with antifreeze then it really doesn't matter, the lower it gets, the less heat output, so long as your mixture prevents freezing down to a certain level.

Maybe time to stick some Navi tubes outside and heat the well water  Smiley

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
rogermunns

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »

Mostie; funny you should say that, it has gone through my head, we do have a good solar heater with a 200litre header tank. And we have had beautiful sunny days here since before Christmas. (Saw eclipse this morning.................).

Maybe a rig-up with the solar would be worthwhile, but maybe it will tempt fate regarding the weather!

I did also think of adding mains water to the well, but that's only at 8 deg. C.

As I hinted in earlier posts, this well thing was a bit of an experiment because I've not yet been able to dig out and install the pipes for 'proper' ground water collection. Maybe in the spring we'll be able to afford a digger for a couple of days and get this sorted.

There again if the climate has changed maybe we won't get any more winters here. I could only see two sunspots on the Sun today through my 'scope + solar filter while I observed the eclipse. And there should be more sunspots at this part of the 11-year Solar cycle.
Mostie

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »

You might as well go the whole hog and fit the ground loop, an air to water heat exchanger with fans ( also called a dry cooler) and some solar tubes, pipe the lot back to a tank and then just select the source with the highest temperature.  angel

What got me thinking about that was the fact that other ground source owners claimed they ended up with a frozen back garden.  freeze

That should give you something to think about  stir

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
dhaslam

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 10:52:51 PM »

Four metres depth of water with 1.2 metres  diameter is only about 4500 litres of water  or about 5 kWh per degree of temperature drop if the well is static.  Also the water pump  that has a capacity of 8.5 metres head  will only produce a dribble at 8.5 metres.     It does seem like you need to get digging and make a decent ground loop,  you could still use the well as a small part of the  heat input.   The well will always have some  level of heat recovery, just not  enough it seems to keep the heat pump going.     

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
rogermunns

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »

Thanks, all.

I think we are all agreed on what's wrong, although I am really pleased at how it's turned out, albeit a short series of running.

After having been stored for all that time and with no manual to help set the HP up I think we've all done well.

Virtually all of the glory goes to you people, thanks.

I will get down and dig out for the ground loop and will also shove some solar-heated water underground to help get the heat into the ground during the summer. Then in the autumn I'll switch the solar heat into the pool (well insulated on all faces including surface) so we get a little longer swimming season. Then in December / January I can start to take heat out of the pool and use it with the heatpump.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: