navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seagate Dockstar - Sheevaplug alternative  (Read 7715 times)
billt

« on: January 12, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »

For anyone interested in low power Linux computers the Seagate Dockstar is basically a Sheevabox with half the RAM and a USB hub built in, but currently available for half the price of a Sheevabox - 50 including delivery from Scan.

I got one yesterday, installed Plugbox Linux (http://www.plugapps.com) on a USB stick with Samba and it's now serving files from 2 USB hard discs. It powers down the HDs when they are idle - idle consumption of the computer and 2 externally powered large HDs is about 12W, the Dockstar on its own is about 3W. Initial file copying tests show that it can use about 40% of the Gigabit network bandwidth, which seems pretty good to me.

My original aim was to use one of these Marvell plug computers to run OWFS, but that's going to take some time; I can't get it running properly on a standard Linux box, let alone compiling it for an Arm machine via a SSH terminal!
mespilus

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »

So is it kind of a modern
slug or NSLU2?

Now in the HS2 blight zone
billt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »

Yes it is, but it's a lot more powerful. The Seagate software also enables access to your files from the internet using a service called Pogoplug, but that has to be paid for.

"The SheevaPlug is one of the first "Plug computers" on the market. It features a 1.2 GHz Marvell Kirkwood 6281 ARM-compatible CPU (aka Feroceon). The device has already been accredited as an "NSLU2 killer" due to its low price (and the discontinued status of the NSLU2)." from Wikipedia.

mespilus

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »

I'm very tempted.

Certainly a lot cheaper than replacing my 2-disc Synology 207+
with a 4-disc unit.

Any chance of a Scan code number?,
I'm obviously being a bit dense with the Scan
search function,
as it returns '0 results',

and manually searching only finds thre
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex.

billt

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »

It seems to have disappeared from the website, the link that I found it from now gives product unavailable.

Tesco seem to have them available at 45 at the moment - http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-8894.aspx.

I guess they've been discontinued, so they are being sold of cheaply - apparently they've been available in the US for $20 recently.
mespilus

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39:29 PM »

It seems to have disappeared from the website, the link that I found it from now gives product unavailable.

Tesco seem to have them available at 45 at the moment - http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-8894.aspx.

I guess they've been discontinued, so they are being sold of cheaply - apparently they've been available in the US for $20 recently.

Thank you for that.

My nearest pc components supplier indicates a stock,
although,
I doubt it is physical.

I'll give him a call in the morning to see how close
he can get to the Tesco price.

How easy is to install the Plugbox Linux?

stephendv

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:39:05 AM »

Nice find!  There are also a few lowish cost arm9 boards with built in touchscreens and linux pre-installed available on ebay.co.uk.  A search for "arm9" has a few of them - one for 70 quid.

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
billt

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »

How easy is to install the Plugbox Linux?

I managed it so it can't be that difficult!

Don't let it connect to the internet before you've changed the installation, as it tries to phone home and it may do a firmware update which will make life more difficult. Then follow the instructions on http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5?title=PlugApps:Pogoplug_Setboot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: