navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epad running Android 2.1 Data Logger & PV Display  (Read 14621 times)
2ndBillericay

« on: January 25, 2011, 01:46:05 AM »

Still in my quest to priduce an internal display board for our Scout HQ to show what the PV system has been doing i have aquired a 10" epad running Android 2.1

I now need to find out how to create a programme to capture the cat5 delivered data from the 3.6 Aurora Inverter the same as my Windows software does. Looking around there is the official Windows version and there is a Linux version by a guy in the states.

Has anyone else got a suitable programme on their android tablet or can they point me in the right direction to learn how to programme this specific display.

Thanks

Richard

2.16 Kw = 9 x 240w on flat roof, South facing and at 20 degrees. - Installed 26-08-10
Nuclear Fussion Thermal system DeltaSol BS & DL2 - installed 25-03-11
wookey

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:22:39 AM »

Android isn't really Linux. Or at least it is 'Linux', but the failure to distinguish between the linux kernel and the GNU/Linux system now rather adds to the confusion. Android is only the Linux kernel and a Java runtime (plus a few bits and bobs). So in general you can't run most linux software on it - only Java programs written for Android.

I guess this is the code you had in mind:http://www.curtronics.com/Solar/AuroraData.html
It's fairly low level so it might work on Android with a bit of fiddling. It wouldn't be too hard to re-implment something if not.

I've avoided Android so far so can;t say anything useful about how you actually develop for it. It can't be hard as there are boatloads of tiddly apps for it.

Wookey
roscoe

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »

Eclipse with the Android Development Tools (ADT) Plugin, worth a try.
YouTube will show you how.....
2ndBillericay

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »

Thanks Guys, it looks like i may well be taking my laptop away with me on holiday to New Zealand and spendig some quality time learning to 'speak android'.

So far in the last 2 years I have learnt a little PicAxe (to get my robot bouncing off walls etc), then moved to Arduino (to drive a LED display but cant pick up the wireless data from the inverter)  and now moving onto Android (to pick up the RJ45 data as i thought it would be easier to get android than windows software on the epad) so lets hope i manage to create something usefull.

I could just ask some 15 year old to write it for me and pay them with sherbert dips !!

2.16 Kw = 9 x 240w on flat roof, South facing and at 20 degrees. - Installed 26-08-10
Nuclear Fussion Thermal system DeltaSol BS & DL2 - installed 25-03-11
Amund

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »

Hi
I've just started developing an Android app for my TDC3e on my own. It would have been nice to get some input from others. It works OK on my phone, but I've only got that one phone to test on (besides emulators with various vanilla versions Android).

Here's a link to my blog where I've put the app:
http://my.opera.com/amundgjersoe/blog/2011/05/29/tdc-inspect-0-1-beta
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:47:55 AM by Amund » Logged
Amund

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »

Here's a link to my blog where I've put the app:
http://my.opera.com/amundgjersoe/blog/2011/05/29/tdc-inspect-0-1-beta

And now the YouTube-clip will so in the blog for all kinds of browsers Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: