navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: temperature adjusted hydrometer  (Read 2444 times)
dodgy rog

« on: February 07, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »

hello everyone, i no i have asked this before to no avail but i really need a link to a good supplier of the above, i have looked at a durite model but its hard to tell on line it looks like it gives no detailed increments of S.G just three bands of colour, a bit vague, i am looking for something very precise and with a thermometer built in so as to get accurate readings, what are you guys using? also looked at ezred but same issues with them

any help advice greatfully received
Heinz

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »

'Sealey AK414 Battery Fluid Tester Tube Type'  Works well, although the rubber bulb needs a cable tie round it to seal to the glass tube properly. The temperature scale is in Deg F rather than Deg C which is annoying, but I just made a wee laminated conversion table which lives with it.
I bought mine off amazon of all places.....

Heinz

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »

Hi Rog,

I have one like you require and I think that it's a Durite, It has a thermometer built in and a calculation for temp, it did however set me back over 35 from a motor factor  Cry

And to be honest it's no more accurate than the 3.50 Draper ones. I spend a great deal of my life taking SG readings from batteries with loads of different hydrometers and I can categorically say that the actual numbers are pretty meaningless. Get one hydrometer, stick to it, monitor and log your readings regularly. That way you will get to know your bank and soon be able to tell if something is amiss, in my experience (of looking after half a dozen battery banks) the numbers are just a guide, it's the difference that's crucial and that difference will be picked up just as well by a 99p hydrometer as a 35 one.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
eabadger

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:27 AM »

hello, no info on hydrometers, but Paul, those batteries in the picture, look the same as my newly aquired bank, what level should the liquid be at? set amount over plates or below lip?

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
camillitech

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »

Hi Steve,

I fill mine and my mates (the ones in the pic) as high as possible, that is just below the lip because they're both fed by hydro turbines and other sources, his is solar and mine's wind so they do quite a bit of gassing. The banks I look after at work that are charged by generators I fill to about 20mm above the plates.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
eabadger

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

thank you, wasnt sure.
mine look the same but with difernt number on sticker, appear to be 980a per cell if my googling is corrcect, found that out, but no mention of fill level.
got them with a wind turbine off ebay, all appear to be correct, 2 hydrometers came with them, bought another, all give differing reading!!!

thanks again for help.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: