navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurora Alert  (Read 19389 times)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »

Nice one Martin, I like the Earthshine, do you have a dark sky?

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
martin

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »

We're about 5 miles from Herstmonceux observatory, and the skies are pretty dark hereabouts Smiley

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »

It,s probably as good as anywhere in the South East, is there an envious smiley?

My attempts,

Desp

* img4281r.jpg (40.42 KB, 750x500 - viewed 397 times.)

* img 4291r.jpg (109.88 KB, 750x1125 - viewed 422 times.)

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

martin

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »

Particularly like the top one - but it's hupside down! ralph

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »

Thanks, thats them dad-blasted reflectin telescopery for you, I could spin the camera on the eyepiece holder but it would confuse next to my other images.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »

I like those moon pictures, outstanding, especially those surface features.
PhilipR
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »

Thanks, Ive just taken this, a bit of The Pleiades M45  Maia, Taygeta and Merope.

Desp

* IMG_4293.jpg (7.1 KB, 750x500 - viewed 361 times.)

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

And lastly as of about half an hour ago, no prizes for guessing what this is

Desp

* IMG_4297.jpg (7.57 KB, 750x500 - viewed 367 times.)

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Ivan

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »

I love the look of those hot young blue stars (that wasn't supposed to sound naughty), especially the way they flare the spider in the apeture. M42 is the nebula. Sideways, this time, isn't it? Any pictures of the milky way - that looks stunning if away from light pollution.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »

Ivan, thanks.

Yes those diffraction flares do make it look very star-like even though it is an artifact, the flash appendage on the Cannon fouls the screws on the focusser tube, so I cannot rotate the camera to all orientations. On the raw uncompressed image I think it is just possible to see nebulosity around Merope, the bottom of the bright stars, I can't upload it here though, it's 8 megs or more.I've never had the opportunity to do any long exposures in a dark sky sadly, around here about 30 seconds is the maximum practical exposure before loosing info to the yellow sodium pollution. These 2 pics have had a small amount of levels adjustment to make the background dark again.

They were both 30 seconds at the prime focus of a f4.5 Newtonian, so pretty fast.

Next time I will try piggybacking the camera to see how the Milky Way looks

Desp
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:33:47 PM by desperate » Logged

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »

Tried sticking a 5mm plossl eyepiece in to give about 270 mag, pushing it a bit with the atmosphere all bouncy and slightly murky, but still plenty of light to play with shooting the Moon

Desp

* IMG_4323.jpg (88 KB, 750x596 - viewed 300 times.)

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

rondurrans

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »

Had the telescope outside last night early on and four planets on view - Mercury, Venus, Mars & Jupiter - could see Jupiter's moons clearly - the moon was spectacular - nice to be around if/when Betelgeuse turns into a Supernova.  Smiley

4 kW PV Array on the North Wales Coast - http://energy1.moonfruit.com/
'Nullius in verba' & 'Nothing Endures but Change' (Heraclitus)
Bodidly

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »

What a great thread with great pics thanks guys.

I confess I did not read this because I thought "Aurora Alert" was an inverter type that had a problem  facepalm
Lurk

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »

I only looked at the thread as it was top of the 'not read' list... are you guys involved with the Dark Skys' projects around the UK ?  On Friday, I went over to Snowdonia to try to get some dark sky and photograph star trails - a little low cloud and patchy fog forming put pay to that, so ended up on Anglesey Cemlyn Bay - staggering how much light pollution was chucked out by a certain power station a few miles along the coast.  What was more alarming was the two coppers that turned up fully armed in stab jackets determined to mix it up with what was clearly going to be a terrorist setting up a missile launch..... after a few minutes looking and questioning - they left -I was now blind having had torches and headlights in my face for  20 minutes  Smiley
I've not built the star trail image yet - but for this interested in a stills shot:-

* Cemlyn-Bay.jpg (38.93 KB, 665x1000 - viewed 281 times.)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »

Had the telescope outside last night early on and four planets on view - Mercury, Venus, Mars & Jupiter - could see Jupiter's moons clearly - the moon was spectacular - nice to be around if/when Betelgeuse turns into a Supernova.  Smiley

Yes, apparently it could go pop any moment, shame an astronomical moment is anything up to a couple of hundred thousand years Sad  not sure if I can wait that long.
Ron, you must have a nice clear horizon to the west where you observe from, I couldn't catch Mercury last night.

are you guys involved with the Dark Skys' projects around the UK ?  On Friday, I went over to Snowdonia to try to get some dark sky and photograph star trails - a little low cloud and patchy fog forming put pay to that, so ended up on Anglesey Cemlyn Bay - staggering how much light pollution was chucked out by a certain power station a few miles along the coast.
Lurk
I have supported the CFDS run in part by Owen Brazell, they have achieved some good results, but sadly the sky gets more light polluted every year. That's a nice piccy you posted, are we looking at Ursa Major?

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: