navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help/Advice Wanted For Building My Timber & Straw Off Grid Woodland House  (Read 1535 times)
lindisfarnecharcoal

Northumberlands Small Scale, Low Impact Foresters.

« on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here, just joined after looking around the net for good forums to seek advice on my little project.  I'm building a single story, rectangular house, of Timber frame & straw bale in-fill walls & felt shingles. The house is to be situated within woodlands that I manage up here in Northumberland, & will consequently be off grid. I have almost no budget & am using recycled materials wherever possible.

I need help in many areas, but as I'll be living on site in a static throughout the house build, I thought I'd start with power, as I'll need that in both my static, & then later in the house.  I'm wanting a battery bank, 48v inverter & a Lister genie. I'd really like it to be startomatic (I think that's what I mean), so that it kicks in automatically to charge the batteries when they need it.

So far: I've met with a lovely man called Mike Seeley, from Windsun, who's based in Durham. It was he who helped me rule a few things in & out, & come up with the above format. What I need help with is selecting the right components, putting them together & learning how to monitor & maintain them. I work all hours & winters in Northumberland can be cold, & long, it needs to be as simple a set-up as possible.

Any help or advice, very much appreciated,
Nathalie.

P.S Apologies if I've broken any rules by placing this post in 2 sections, it seemed appropriate for both, but I fully understand if it disappears from one of them:)
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »

I don't think there are any "rules" about this but it's usually better to just make one post because otherwise the reply threads can get fragmented.  Since people have started replying on the other post I suggest all conversation should happen there:

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13103.0.html
lindisfarnecharcoal

Northumberlands Small Scale, Low Impact Foresters.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »

Hi,
Excellent point! Should anyone have any useful info for me, please excuse my enthusiasm by double posting, & head straight to the building section to reply.
Many thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: