navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OPzS in comparison to Forklift and Rolls  (Read 1353 times)
magnus

« on: March 21, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »

so, i did a search or two online and it looks like the OPzS batteries are really the best for off grid applications.

they last 15-20 years if kept float charged, compared to Rolls at 7-10 years.

forklift are great if second hand, but new cost more than OPzS.

any downside to OPzS?  other than cost, since shipping for me equalizes all the expenses.  the stationary vendors include shipping vs rolls vendors that add 300-400 for shipping.

comes out the same in the AmpHour to Euro ratio.

if they are designed for 80% discharge, although ideally kept at 40% discharge and above...than i should be able to get away with a smaller battery bank, 200Ah, 12 x 2
volt batteries to provide for washing machine at 800 watts and freezer surge.  Hydro always gives 600 watts to compensate.

Our Blog of the Self Sufficient Fruit Farm project can be found here, we are located on Flores, Azores, PT
http://magnusandkonswan.blogspot.com
stephendv

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »

forklift are great if second hand, but new cost more than OPzS.

Are you sure (both from the same vendor)?  I found the exact opposite to be true.

any downside to OPzS?  other than cost, since shipping for me equalizes all the expenses.  the stationary vendors include shipping vs rolls vendors that add 300-400 for shipping.

comes out the same in the AmpHour to Euro ratio.

if they are designed for 80% discharge, although ideally kept at 40% discharge and above...than i should be able to get away with a smaller battery bank, 200Ah, 12 x 2
volt batteries to provide for washing machine at 800 watts and freezer surge.  Hydro always gives 600 watts to compensate.

Cycle life is directly related to the depth of discharge as per the attached graph.  Most people recommend 50% DoD as a good economic sweet spot between a battery that lasts a reasonable amount of time and is still affordable to buy.

* Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 17.15.21.png (18.31 KB, 428x285 - viewed 368 times.)

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: