navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird battery....  (Read 1547 times)
guydewdney

« on: April 03, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

Not really that related to RE stuff - but I have an ex battery from my tractor that was no longer good enough to start it - its a small, standard automotive lead acid type - something like 80Ah capacity. Now pressed into service as a leat gate opener - it worked fine for ages - then suddenly this happened:-

Voltage read with Fluke meter - 5,6,7,8 volts (depending)..... hmmm - maybe its time to charge it...... stick decent charger on it (3 way - bulk, absorb,float) - and the bulk (red) light comes on.... 3 seconds later, absorb / float flicker absorb,float,absorb,float etc - then 30 seconds later only the  float is on - almost like its a 0.01Ah battery.... meter shows 14 volts iirc. try to use it as a battery to power the gate (2 or so amps draw) and it goes dead.

Whats going on? Apart from the battery is fecked... Wink I know that....

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »

Sounds to me as if the lead supports for the plates have corroded through(happens a lot on batteries) meaning only the support connected to the pole is working in the acid, The plates are doing nothing because they have separated from the thick connecting bar on the top.

* broken battery.jpg (106.65 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 320 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: