navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TDC3/4 serial port  (Read 7176 times)
Tuna

« on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »

After a very long wait, we finally have everything plumbed and pumping just in time for the sunshine (yay). Our system is a 210 litre thermal store, TDC4 and three flat panels on a west facing roof. We're getting good results, but (at least for a month or so) it'd be great to get stats out of the system.

Now I'm a competent developer and can even solder things without burning my fingers (too much), so I was wondering about getting data out of the TDC4 (spot the glaringly absent '-e' on the end there). From reading the forum, I understand that the ethernet enabled controllers essentially have a serial-to-ethernet bridge connected to an otherwise standard circuit board. To my mind this opens up some possibilities - it _should_ be easy to connect a cheap controller to the serial port directly and write software to log data (and do graphing and so on).

So, does anyone have any ideas about the serial connector? I understand the bridge is a Lantronix part, and the serial settings are 115200, 8N1, no flow control, always connect. What about the physical connector on the board?
dan_aka_jack

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »

I too would be *really* interested in hearing if there's an RS232 interface buried somewhere inside the TDC3/4.  Anyone fancy taking a peek inside their unit?!?

EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »

I too would be *really* interested in hearing if there's an RS232 interface buried somewhere inside the TDC3/4. 

If there's a serial interface it's probably not RS232 - most likely TTL (5 volt) logic levels. That's not the end of the world if it is, there are a lot of cheap USB-to-serial devices around for doing things like talking to Arduinos without USB ports. They're often called "FTDI cables" after the chips used for the conversion. They look to software like normal serial ports.
dan_aka_jack

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »

Cool: TTL or RS-232 would work for me (I got my first FTDI cable a week ago for programming an Arduino, in fact!)

jvmkite

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »

Were you able to get log from TDC3 serial interface?   (if any)

I'm also very interested in getting LOG on that system.

I have a complete site but for PhotoVoltaic system, made just from a Serial interface, towards the inverter.

If TDC3 have the same kind of Serial LOG I would do it from there.

Regards
Jose Martins
dan_aka_jack

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

no, I haven't done any more work on trying to get data from a TDC3/4.  I have an STDC installed but I haven't taken the lid off it and don't plan to for the foreseeable future.

Teknos

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »

Have a look at

www.sunelog.com

If thats what you want then its easily available

Tek
jvmkite

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »

Teknos,

That is what I want...
How is it available?

Went to look at the pictures and saw one TDC there on the wall.  Is it a version E (Ethernet) or it is a common Serial interface connected to the 10 pin IDC male connector on the TDC board?

Best regards
Jose Martins
Teknos

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »

Thanks for the email, I've sent you a private message with the coordinates for contact

But just to note that Sunelog is not expensive but does a good job, if you have the TDC3e or TDC4e controller with the ethernet connection. As is probalbly clear by now, it needs to be connected to a computer 24/7 to get a complete data stream.

Tek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: