navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are my batteries splitting?  (Read 3458 times)
clivejo
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »

I've been slowly charging my batteries over this past month, nice and gentle.  I went to check on them today and yet another one had cracked and is leaking all over the place.  Four of them have split for apparently no reason.  I will try and take a photograph, but in the meantime any idea what's going on?
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »

Sounds serious CJ,

what sort of batteries are they and have they been lying idle for long? If they're gel perhaps the charge rate is too high, if they're FLA sounds like they're goosed, lots of debris lying at the bottom and splitting the case as they gas off.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »

hi clivejo,
        i had about a dozen 105ah powersafe yellows burst,i think what happens is,that they get degraded internally,unable to hold the charge,and then they swell up and burst,the ones kept on the charge were fine,it is almost as though the mold which grows on the lead swells up.
     i would have lots of different type batteries,everything from forklift to gel mat,the best performing all rounder was the 100ah yousa,so long as you dont take any more than 10 to 12 percent between charges.
      i left my cracked and burst powersafe yellows in the scrapyard and was amazed at the money i got for them,so i turned round and delivered just over 2000kgs and collected a grand,it took me 3 days,monday to wedensday,not bad,i was worried about what to do with these burst powersafe,because they looked a right sight,so now they are all gone and im happy.we still have over a dozen good powersafe yellows from the same batch in perfect health,so it must be something to do with them being left to die.
                                                               biff
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:18:43 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

oooops,
         i dropped a clanger there, the amount in battery weight totalled 3 x 700kgs just under 2100kgs, 2 ton, not 1000 as i said before.
                                                                     biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clivejo
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »

They have been holding their power fine that what is making it so heart break.  I have been trickle charging them for ages and they are holding a lot of charge.  At this rate Im not going to be able to create a 48V bank !!
Justme

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »

Recent prices were 470 per tonne for complete bats / cells & over a grand just for the lead.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »

the price i was quoted was 490 euros, per ton complete batts,so you would be getting a little more justme.
                                                                                                  biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »

hi clivejo,
         it is hard to figure out, i have seen me remove the yellow powersafe 105ah from a pile,the casing were perfect but the voltage was gone,they were carefully loaded into the van for a journey of 34 mileto the scrappy,at the end of the journey i discovered that the ends had blown off 3 of them, it was quite hot around dinnertime on wednesday.i dont know if they are dangerous but i made sure that the van was well cleaned out afterwards.
                                                                                                                            biff

clivejo
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »

I've just discovered this one starting to split too.  The one to the left split yesterday.

Its a bit soul destroying as they have been holding the charge and absorbed a lot of energy only to split.

* splitbattery.jpg (33.57 KB, 555x512 - viewed 462 times.)
Outtasight

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »

A bit worrying, as I've got a load of Marathon AGM batts in the living room.

All gel / AGM batts should have pressure vents to prevent a split / blowout like you've seen.  What they can't survive is the spongy plates expanding.  Plates that use calcium in the alloy to strengthen the lead (instead of antimony) are prone to the plates expanding when the cell is overcharged over a long time.  This would certainly cause the cell to bulge and eventually split.

I've seen big APC UPS batteries do this.  They were in a hot environment and the charger probably was not properly temperature compensated and the cells got over charged and all split.

I'm pretty sure some of my Marathons were about to go nuclear a while back when some were being overcharged from a string mis-match.  But I added an external battery balancing module to the 24V string and beefed up the inter-string equalising wiring, and the whole thing is working well now (fingers crossed the block that was gassing wasn't too badly damaged...)

It doesn't take much excess charge current to cause the calcium swelling problem.  Check the temperature compensation on the charger and make sure the 12V block Voltages are within 0.1V of each other, especially during absorption phase charge, when the blocks will be very close to the gassing Voltage.  UPS batteries are actually only really designed to be charged at the float Voltage (but solar charging doesn't allow the luxury of charging for 20 hours between discharges, so we use a short absorption phase to speed things up).

If one block goes bad, it will murder the others in the string in short order (unless you have an external balancer to keep things in check).

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: