navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCís / FITís and off grid none-MCS system ?ís  (Read 3940 times)
Dyslexicbloke

Blue sky thinking ...

« on: May 12, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »

Probably asked an answered but I have been reading for a while and canít get a clear picture in my head at all.

If anyone can summarise the current state of play I would appreciate it.

I live off grid and my system is home grown, all none MCS.
Currently 300W PV and a CHP system in the works which is simply a diesel generator. At the moment.

I am running on RED but will be switching to all Veg within a couple of weeks.
If I cant find enough used stuff then I will be buying new stuff as it is available at the same cost as RED right now even in 25l drums, I anticipate being able to find it cheaper if I buy bigger quantities.

QuestionsÖ..
Is there anything I can claim?
If so what and how?
What equipment will I need (metering)?
Are RHIís applicable to CHP and if so can they be claimed for  none MCS equipment?
Again, if its applicable, how would I meter this ?

Sorry to be vague but I just donít seem to be able to get a handle on it.

Thanks in advance Ö..
Alistair

Off Grid - Big Caravan and huge enclosed gazzebo.
300W PV 12V system.
400Ah of AGM Absolyte GP cells. (Second hand)
600W Inverter (Maplin's finest :-) )
CHP in the works - Chinese Horisontal Diesel [S195 Generic - Kukje]
VAWT testbed flying - Back to that when its warmer I think.
jotec

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »

Hi,
For the CHP provided it is totally veg, including starting, you can claim ROCs. You get double ROCs. I have just claimed 6 ROCs for 3MW and hope to sell them for around £250.
As far as I know you can not claim RHI. The FITs on PV is only applicable if the system was in operation prior to April last year but I think you may be past the deadline to claim?
If you want to look at claiming ROCs let me know.

Dick

Aiming to reduce dependency on 'mains energy'. Own bio for 40k miles, solar water heating (DIY),  CHP done blog at http://www.dpks.co.uk/CHP/main.htm (not always up to date!)
Dyslexicbloke

Blue sky thinking ...

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »

Since I had no concept of having to claim them and then sell them on I guess I will have to do a load more reading ....

Are ROCs applicable to all renewables, including my uncertified PV, or will it just be the vegetricity?

I will be starting on Veg but looking at the available supplies it might be new oil, at least some of the time, will that be a problem?

Al

300W PV 12V system.
Justme

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »

So thats about 8.333p per kWh for the elec but you get nothing for the heat?

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Dyslexicbloke

Blue sky thinking ...

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »

Dick, I have done some reading and now I am even more confused ..... surrender

If you could tell me what I will need physically and give me an overview of the whoops I will need to jump through I would very much apriciate it.
For a start I cant see why double ROCs but I dont doubt that you are correct.

Effort isnt a problem so that just leaves practicality and cost benifit to look at.

Thanks in advance
Al

300W PV 12V system.
jotec

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »

Hi Al,
OK in a nut shell

The system has to be registered with OFGEM at the renewables site.

https://www.renewablesandchp.ofgem.gov.uk/  - it is down, overnight, at the moment for maintenance

A real person ultimately checks it and will contact you to ask questions.  I had a very helpful woman  who was able to answer questions and make things clear. (she also spotted that a friend who applied at the same time had very similar answers to the questions as we did it together - I felt like we had copied homework!)
You fill in a series of questions, probably about 50.
You have to have an aproved total generation meter, the serial number has to be registered with OFGEM. Not a problem as they are available from Navitron for about £20 I think.
You have to run on liquid bio mass and convince them that is is not contaminated by an non organic material.
The double ROCs are dependant on the system size.

The amount received is about 9p per unit, as stated by Justme, and you get nothing for the heat, but if you are doing it anyway it is money for nothing. I get about 2kW electric and 4 kW heat for each L of oil. As I am 'on grid' each unit also saves me 10p in electric not bought. This time of year I only run for a few hours a day to cover main load consumption as I have no use for the heat.
I would imagine that SVO would not be a problem other than cost and the moral concern of using a food product for energy.
The advantage of a stationary engine is that it can run on very poor oil, if it is hot enough, so there is more scope for getting it than 'good oil' for use it in a vehicle. Chip lard is fine, I have just modded the Lister fuel system to run on oil that is solid at 30 degrees C and is no good for bio diesel so is readily available.
You will only get ROCs for the veg oil generated electric not for the PV.
It took some months for it to come through for me but the payment is backdated to the time you register.
You have to send the meter reading in once a year.
I have not had a visit so how they know you are not giving a false reading I have no idea.
If you want a chat I will send you a phone number.
Hope this helps
Dick

Aiming to reduce dependency on 'mains energy'. Own bio for 40k miles, solar water heating (DIY),  CHP done blog at http://www.dpks.co.uk/CHP/main.htm (not always up to date!)
Dyslexicbloke

Blue sky thinking ...

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »

Hi Dick,
that answers all my questions for now .... Thanks.

It is clear that I need to get the system in place in its dedicated enclosure, its on a testbed under our gazzebo right now, before doing anything about claiming. I think, based on what you have told me, that a premature claim for a partially finished system would just confuse things.

I here you RE food and fuel but if I cant sourec enough WVO, or lard, then I will need to make it up with SVO rather than RED or I will be making a false claim for ROCs which I would not want to do.
Being off grid removes the luxery of not running the genny when fuel is in short supply.

I hadnt apriciated that TGM's were so reasonable, makes no sense not to fit one at that price, whatever I do.

Just one thing ..... Is one unit 1 KWh or some other figure asociated with cost or energy type?

Thanks for the great info
Al

300W PV 12V system.
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »

Is one unit 1 KWh ...?

Yes.
neilydun

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »

Dyslexicbloke, do you mind me asking where you are buying your SVO from ?

You say you can buy it at the same price as red (maybe 60p ltr ish). I run my pick up on svo and can`t normally find it for less than about a quid.Even in 1000ltr IBC`s

I have tried wvo, but its not keen on it, and its in short supply where I am.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: