navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Hams & Inverter Noise  (Read 2244 times)
Paul and Rona

. Northumbria .

« on: June 21, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

Hi All,
         I have noticed that several of the folks on this forum are Radio Hams and wonder if anyone has had any problems with RFI or even low level sprogs and noise's from their G83  Inverters ?........

I am interested in (for obvious reasons) what appear to be the "Quietest"  Inverters

Regards Paul, "G4HDS" & Rona

Living the quiet life in the
"People's Republic Of Northumbria"
solarcycle

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »

Nothing noticed on the amateur bands here and I have a quiet location although its gradually getting worse , I use 80 and 40m mainly . I've a doublet aerial going right over the house with a transformerless aurora 3.6 inverter.

A g83 inverter shouldn't produce any noise. The spec includes limits on distortion and the circuit description shows plenty of EMC components. Designers of cheap cr*p please take note!
Alan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »

Grid connected generation inverters should not be a problem
because they are connecting to a very low impedance.
Here the Aurora 6 KW inverter is better than Windy Boy / Mastervolt inverters.

Radiated noise from incorrectly installed variable speed drives
is a major problem.
The variable speed drive should have Electro Magnetic Compatibility filters fitted as standard.
When the cable length is above a certain length then an external filter should be fitted.
The out let cable from the variable speed drive should be screened and the screen only connected to the inverter end. A steel wire armoured cable is not suitable for screening purposes.

Iím seeing inverters installed incorrectly on a more or less daily basis now. It will get a lot worse when all motors above 7.5 K.W. Will have to have an inverter fitted to comply with energy saving requirements . The cable lengths involved between the variable speed drive and the motor are ideal lengths for making serious noise up to 30 MHz and beyond.

Regards

Alan
G3ZES
Paul and Rona

. Northumbria .

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »

Hi Fellas
            Thanks for the feedback, it makes me feel better. I had been worrying that when we move north across into GM that I would possibly loose out on the lower noise levels in the western isles with noise from inverters...

Regards Paul....

Living the quiet life in the
"People's Republic Of Northumbria"
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:01:56 AM »

What Alan said    Grin

The instructions for a few inverter drives I've read recently, did to there credit go into great detail on what should be earthed, where and what sort of cable to use.
away from factories out there you far more likely to have bother near a pumping station or sewage works, ofcom should be able to help if you do have trouble from an external source.

BTW anyone got any service manuals for Marconi RC742 repeaters?

Stuart
M1GSM

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
RobertReadman

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »

I have not noticed any noise from an SMA SunnyBoy 4000-TL, however the SMA SunnySensor device requires an RS485 Power Injector, that did produce noise with until the cable used was replaced with CAT6 STP/FTP External Grade Cable, now it runs quiet as a mouse.

Regards,

Rob
M0WLK

3.6kWp with 15x 240W Sanyo HIT-N240SE10 Panels into an SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL-20.
SMA Sunny Beam, SMA Sunny Sensor, SMA Sunny Portal, SMA Sunny Webbox 2.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: