navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lithium ION Car Batteries  (Read 13381 times)
rt29781

« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

Prius's have now been around a while. What's the battery life looking like now - anyone got any experience. If the prophets of doom are right we should be seeing failures by now.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-batteries-none-the-worse-for-wear-cga.htm

To get maximum life out of the Prius battery pack, the car's computer brain does not allow the battery to fully charge or discharge. Toyota says that for the best service life, the Prius battery likes to be kept at about a 60 percent charge. In normal operation, the system usually lets the charge level vary only 10-15 percentage points. Therefore, the battery is rarely more than 75 percent charged, or less than 45 percent charged.

If you're familiar with the Prius, you know there's a battery-charge indicator on the instrument panel. Toyota says this isn't the charge level per se, but rather a state-of-charge window. The top of the window represents about a 75 percent charge, the bottom about 45 percent charge.

According to Toyota, the life of the Prius battery pack is determined more by mileage than by time, and it has been tested to 180,000 miles. Supporting this are first- and second-generation Prius taxis in Canada that have reportedly traveled more than 200,000 miles without suffering any battery problems.

Nowt currently, Aberdeen.....well actually very well insulated extension with passive solar that seems to heat the house....
MarkB

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »

..for anybody who is is interested...found this on utube with regards to the plug in volvo v60 with a diesel motor.....

OK, so I'm a little late, but I've just watched the video and this Volvo seems great. All the performance of my old 850 T5 (and a bit more) which I reluctantly traded in for an efficient diesel family car, but with apparently staggering fuel economy. 50km electric range is just about enough for a one way trip on my daily commute, so if I could persuade my employers to provide a charging point I'd be laughing.

Where do I place an order?

Seriously though, this is probably going to be a 40k(+) car based on the prices of the rest of the V60 range. Won't stop me drooling, even though I'm sure it won't turn out as good as advertised.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: