navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery advice  (Read 5999 times)
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 12:23:24 AM »

Stephen, until we bought these cells I hadn't seen that curve either. I think that charging with the Victron and adjusting the charger to 32V after absorption will probably give a similar profile. As you said earlier I don't think the PzS cells are different in terms of chemistry (well, apart from the ever changing types of separators of course tomatosplat) and I'm quickly learning that as soon as you do something slightly different with traction cells you may as well be on another planet as far as suppliers are concerned. I'd still buy forklift cells as I think that supplied correctly and looked after the ones we have would probably give 20 years of service  Cool

Billi, when we first started out (probably the same as you) we had grand ideas of "living off grid"  Roll Eyes  Easy  hysteria : wind turbine, PV, generator  signofcross for when there's no wind or sun. All simple  ralph

Anyway, after three years of surviving off grid hopefully the masterplan will come into at least partial fruition but it does depend on Mindy being returned minus her vocal chords and the PV arriving along with the battery bank being replaced with something that can cope with all this generation  facepalm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:26:21 AM by Eleanor » Logged

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
stephendv

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:32 AM »

I've been having a discussion with a tech support guy from TAB batteries on another forum, and he agrees with the information you've been given Eleanor, regarding the 2.65V finishing charge for forklifts.  So I've been thinking about how to achieve this and two solutions have come up:
1.  In the short term, configure the charge controller to perform a short EQ charge weekly, or every 5 days to get some mixing done.
2.  In the long term, I have a morningstar MPPT charge controller which has a web interface - haven't connected to it yet, but I think it would allow me to call manual EQs.  If this is the case, then a little arduino/netduino device hooked to the controller can monitor the charge, and as soon as absorb has completed, it will call a manual EQ.  I'll then configure the controller to only EQ for 2 minutes or something really short.  This will then mimic the 2.65V end charge perfectly.

Regarding the airlift system, it would mean drilling holes in my brand new batts...  I just don't have the balls yet  Grin

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »

Stephen, with our comedy bank at least we'd only have to drill holes in 5 of them, the other 7 were delivered with holes!  ralph
Hoping to get the electron micrographs of the separators today so I can show that the cells with one type can never reach 2.65V and therefore will never be fully charged  signofcross
We're looking at an Outback MPPT charge controller so hopefully we'll be able to use that most of the time to do the absorption and equalisation. Still needs more thought ....

stephendv

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »

Good luck!  I'd be keen to know how you get on with the hole drilling and how many grey hairs it caused.  How do you prevent the casing material from falling into the battery?  I might attempt it once mine have lost some of their new battery smell  Wink
Seems that everything I buy for the batts must ship from Greece, so the distributor here wants 150 euro for the airlift system + 150 for postage  Sad

stephendv

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »

Came across some new info from crown battery: http://www.crownbattery.com/PDF/Safety.First._Deep%20Cycle%20Batteries.pdf
In that manual they provide charging advice for the same batteries in either RE systems or in motive power systems.  They only recommend the 2.65V finishing charge for the latter NOT the former.  For RE systems they recommend the usual bog standard IUoU curve supported by all RE chargers.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 10:16:23 AM »

Hi Eleanor 

i know  this is a while back...

Hi Billi, thanks we have the adaptor and have changed various settings on the Victron. The PzS chargers seem to have a different charging profile to the settings in the the Victron and have another stage after absorption where the voltage rises to 2.65V.

Victron seems to have added  a specific "tubular plate traction battery mode " that one can select

But  Embarrassed  does not work on my old Victron  unit  , when i connect the computer to it

But the "tubular plate traction battery mode "  appears if i run the VE configure program  on my computer and not connected to the Victron inverter

Billi

* traction.jpg (114.16 KB, 674x439 - viewed 384 times.)

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »

Billi, thanks, they must have been reading what we've been saying! Just been looking at the Victron site and the newer Multiplus chargers can charge up to 34V - ours will only go up to 32V and I can't get into that option either. The higher voltage is only necessary for cells with SG 1285 as opposed to most other cells which have SG 1265. We're planning on getting another Victron inverter and if the new version of the charger has a better profile then this would be the ideal solution  Cool

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: