navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse Proof Pipe Pipework and Pipe Lagging  (Read 12684 times)
dtl

« on: May 25, 2011, 08:15:44 AM »

I am replacing some radiator pipework in a cold ventilated underfloor space.
I am in NE scotland at 400m above sea level so every winter it gets to -10DegC in this underfloor area.

The plumber is suggesting plastic pipework with foam pipe sleeves.

I have an access hatch for placing mice poison in the underfloor area.

However, I am still nervous about mice damage to the pipe lagging and the plastic pipework.

Has anyone any recent experience with this and can suggest the best way for me to proceed?

Thanks

johnrae

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »

In a word - copper
martin

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »

truncheon job! ralph

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »

other than scrunching up chicken wire tangles into any suspected hole then filling with something solid to set it, no.

they climb up cavity walls & allsorts so it's a hard job to deal with, poison blocks in the loft, check where skirting may give access etc etc...
if you can poke a regular pencil / biro in a gap a mouse can use it. so think onward.
morethan likely to be several sccess points but piping is a favourite area, so be prepared to infill & see what happens.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Fintray

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »

I had a similar problem where some plastic heating pipe passed through a roof area that was too small to crawl into so I placed the pipe and insulation into some 68mm rainwater downpipe to give additional protection.
If you can crawl into the underfloor space you can attach the pipes to the underside of the floor joists place additional protection where mice could access the pipe and place a collar around the pipe to prevent mice getting along the pipes.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »

Rainwater pipe seems like a neat solution if it's practical to get it in but if not isn't there some sort of wire mesh you could wrap the pipe and insulation in?
dtl

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback.

It is not possible to crawl under the floor.

I think the solution is copper pipes heavily bundled in glasswool then wrapped with aviary netting (it has approx. 5mm square holes). It is possible to get long rolls of aviary netting on ebay.

As for the mouse access, this has been an ongoing campaign over the years and I have blocked up everywhere I think they can get in.
We still get a couple every year, I think they are teleporting through the walls.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:08:39 AM by dtl » Logged
johnrae

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »

You could also invest in a couple of mousers (cats) and make them work for a living by not overfeeding.  We have lived in our house for over 30 years and the only time we had a mouse problem was after the last cat died (no it wasn't 30 years old).  Fortunately our new neighbour seems to have a "killer" so hopefully that will also service our property.
skyewright

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »

As for the mouse access, this has been an ongoing campaign over the years and I have blocked up everywhere I think they can get in.
We still get a couple every year, I think they are teleporting through the walls.
I've sealed up everywhere I can see (including S/S mesh over the air bricks), but the occasional visitor still makes it to the loft[1]. I suspect that one occasionally finds an underground route into the cavity?

[1] We have cats. In ~17 years here the only evidence we've ever seen of rodents in the inhabited areas of the house was one of those green wobbly bits that cats leave, deposited neatly in the sink one morning long ago...

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
supremetwo

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »

I think the solution is copper pipes heavily bundled in glasswool then wrapped with aviary netting (it has approx. 5mm square holes).

I suffered from gnawed foam wrapping (on copper).

After setting traps with fresh apple and dispatching 15 mice in the loft, I replaced the foam and then wrapped that with spare loft insulation held on with cable ties.

So far, no further damage under the fibre, so perhaps no need for netting in addition.

As for poison, a neighbour suffered smells from below the floor boards; you have no control over where a mouse will decay.

skyewright

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 03:06:01 PM »

As for poison, a neighbour suffered smells from below the floor boards; you have no control over where a mouse will decay.
Seconded.
Way back when I was a kid a rat succumbed to poison in a bricked in, but ventilated, space behind a cast iron range. I imagine the remains eventually dessicated, but boy did you know it was there till it did...

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Baz

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »

The really old hessian wrap seems to be imune, especially if there is some 'sacrificial' easy chew fluff around.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:22:37 AM »

you could play em some squeaky music from the plug in varmin blaster,
                                 they hate it and will leave and go to your nearest neighbour out of earshot.you could also get a snake,a viper or a cobra ,,well,errrm h,mmmm,,no maybe not,,!! no the varmin blaster will be fine.
                                                                                                biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: