navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 year on from warm-roof and a few triple glazed windows.  (Read 4337 times)
Ivan

« on: June 16, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »

Still plenty I could do, but I now have 1year data on my energy consumption since modifications last year. These modifications have not only saved us fuel, but given us a warmer house - much warmer first thing in the morning for example.

Annual heat consumption: TOTAL=12300kWh  ie 8400kWh gas (cooking/heating) + approx. 2500kWh wood (wood burner) + 1400kWh veg oil (150litres in modified rayburn)
NOTE: Wood fuel is probably only achieving 65% burn efficiency in my water-jacketed hunter herald, so this year, I'll be fitting the ultra efficient Burley woodstove for improved wood efficiency.

Electricity consumption: TOTAL PURCHASED=1375kWh (This is a little disappointing as we've generated far more than we've used, but exported about 60% of the Solar PV elec).

This year, we've fitted 6" of underfloor insulation under the kitchen and dining room, so we should see further reductions in a year's time.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »

yOU PUT ME TO SHAME SIR!

Congratulations, nice low elec-trickery useage.
Now if only they'd do a "green lottery, for renewable make overs, i'd go for that!

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:33 PM »

Ivan
you have done well!  My energy consumption has  remained fairlty static over the past few years, despite better insulation, high grade double glazing etc. The problem has been space heating and two very cold winters. It will be interesting to see how next year compares. I am hoping the insulation 100mm underfloor in the chancel and new Burley wood stove will help considerably.

Sean

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
wookey

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »

Ivan - what were the previous year's figures to compare against? i.e what sort of reduction have those changes achieved?

Wookey
rondurrans

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »

Ivan what is the floor area (m2) of the property?

Thanks,
Ron

4 kW PV Array on the North Wales Coast - http://energy1.moonfruit.com/
'Nullius in verba' & 'Nothing Endures but Change' (Heraclitus)
Ivan

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:51:26 AM »

Wookey,

Heat consumption: It's difficult to give an exact figure, as I didn't keep track of how much wood I burnt during the previous year. It was around 18 000kWh of gas plus somewhere between 2 and 4 tons of wood. The biggest effect is down to replacing crappy 75mm of polystyrene between rafters of loft conversion with warm roof (100mm PU between rafters and 50-60mm PU above rafters). I also persuaded by neighbour to let me put 100mm thickness of the redundant polystyrene on their side of the party wall, so I'm not losing so much heat to their unheated attic. I took a lot of trouble to seal everything to prevent air convection within the insulation layer, and fully-insulated the tops of all the supporting walls, to stop heat-bridging to exterior. (I think I posted thermal images somewhere else to demonstrate how effective this was).

Electricity consumption: Pretty static at around 6kWh/day, although I'd put an extra 2kW of PV on the roof since the previous year, so more of the requirement met 'in house', hence slightly lower electricity bill.

Ron, Floor area is approximately 200m2 (total area of 2floors plus attic conversion)

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: