navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ultra small computer  (Read 28855 times)
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »

Here is the latest RPi information on the graphics drivers - plenty for hardcore 3D and 2D programming and there are free codec licences for hardware accelarated MPEG1/2/4 and H264 (basically everything you need for HD Video)

Professional programmers will have no interest in having OpenGL (3D) or OpenVG (2D) open source - they will simply use the binary libraries to write portable programs that also run on a PC.

-Paul
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:00:49 PM by Paulh_Boats » Logged

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
wookey

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »

But they will get grumpy when they can't upgrade their kernel without losing graphics support. Like for example last week when there were new kernels rushed out to plug a root-gaining security hole.

With binary drivers you are left with the choice of running with no graphics (quite probably not much use to you) or remaining vulnerable to a serious security issue until Broadcom get round to building an updated driver. And you can only use kernel versions they have deigned to provide drivers for, which they'll do for a while, but then lose interest when there is newer hardware available.

You are quite right that plenty of people don't care (until they have a problem). I'm just pointing out that they should, and there are good technical reasons why they are better off with software under their own control. Binary blobs from a third party without which bits of your hardware don't work are best avoided if you have a choice.

Clivejo - keep an eye on the EOMA-spec allwinner boards, that should beat  the Pi on price/spec for your purposes, but I guess you'll have to wait a bit longer as no-one has hardware yet.

Wookey
SpeedEvil

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »

I'm planning to use mine to hook up several things to.

Firstly, replace my wireless router with, saving 10W.
Now, add proxies on the Pi to keep me 'online' with various services, and enable me to turn the laptop off at night, not keep acting as a server, for another 7W or so savings.
Log mains power readings from my Eon energy meter.
Add several temperature probes to various parts of the house.
A webcam with a fisheye lens inside a glass ball, so to take pictures of the sky every few mins.

The cost of it is easily paid in the first year from savings.
RIT

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »

I have to say that I'm following both the PI and Allwinner products. Not because I'm such I have any major use for one, but more from the fact that I started on a MK14 (which cost £40 in 1977) and moved to a ZX80/81 and so on as I grew up and both these devices look like 'fun' rather than 'work'.

The current state of play is that the PI is due 'soon' as 10,000 are being made up in China while the Allwinner is still somewhat a design in progress. The PI also has a quotable price of $25 which I guess means £25-£30 after VAT and P&P in the UK. The Allwinner at looking at a build cost of $15-$75 depending on the size of some future production run just for the unit, a lot of other costs will have to be added as it will need a breakout board, power supply etc.

The one thing both systems are missing are any AD inputs as they only supply general unprotected IO pins from the CPU, so the first add-on board for both modules is going to be a basic PIC based card providing additional IO features. There is already one being put together for the PI, but the Allwinner is not yet in the hands of anyone to allow demos to be created and shown.

As for the 2 boards the PI is going to be a great basic building block solution for the markets its targeting, with the advantage that it should cause the PIC market to advance somewhat faster than it has done in the last few years. The Allwinner is a little different, if it can produce a 'standard' high performance 'open' module it could change the way that embedded systems are built in the future as it could be cheaper to add a full Allwinner to your design rather than build from the ground up.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
clivejo

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:25 AM »

Well the Raspberry Pi was released today at 6am. I have been trying to order one for this past hour and a half, but nothing but server-time outs and errors. I've giving up trying now and very angry over the whole thing! Now they tweeted that the first batch have gone!! 

So much for registering my email to be kept up-to-date and allowed first ordered on the thing.   banghead

Just want to thank the Raspberry Pi team and the distributors for putting me in the most amazing bad temper the likes I've not seen for years!

Anyone who knows me, today is NOT the day to contact me regarding anything but a lottery win.

*goes off to smash something up*  fume

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
RIT

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 03:19:22 PM »

Well the Raspberry Pi was released today at 6am. I have been trying to order one for this past hour and a half, but nothing but server-time outs and errors. I've giving up trying now and very angry over the whole thing! Now they tweeted that the first batch have gone!! 

So much for registering my email to be kept up-to-date and allowed first ordered on the thing.   banghead

Just want to thank the Raspberry Pi team and the distributors for putting me in the most amazing bad temper the likes I've not seen for years!

Anyone who knows me, today is NOT the day to contact me regarding anything but a lottery win.

*goes off to smash something up*  fume

Sorry but I has to lol at your post, I remember trying to order both the ZX Spectrum and Sinclair QL on their release days, with the same results. For the PI I decided not to even try as it was looking like it was going to be a complete nightmare.

What will be interesting will be seeing just how fast additional produce can be produced in China to meet the proven demand.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
clivejo

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »

Just when I was calming down a bit I go on fleabay to check an item I'm selling, and what pops up in my face but a Raspberry Pi for sale.  Bids starting at £50 !!!

I was curious so had a look at the documentation he posted, the Pi he's selling was placed 9 mins AFTER me!!!

So I'm back to being furious again!   fume

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
wookey

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 02:16:27 AM »

It's only a computer clivejo. There are lots of others. None quite so cheap (and a bit nasty IMHO), but it's not worth getting upset over. The arm linux machine ID list says we are up to machine number 4064, so there really are lots to choose from. And some more Pis will be along in a while. If I was keen to get work done on something now I just buy a beaglebone, which has an up to date CPU so all the existing distros will just work.

The hype this thing has generated is remarkable. I can see I'm going to get thoroughly fed of it... (having spent half of today explaining what people are going to have to do to get distro support for this older (v6 arm11) chip which falls awkwardly between the v5 noFP and v7thumb/VFP ports all the distros are currently supporting).

Wookey
clivejo

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »

Your right, its nothing but hype.  I now believe they did it on purpose to get the launch in full view of the media.  Taking down two major suppliers website, that's a great PR stunt!  I finally got an email from the Raspberry Pi mailing list, which I signed up to back in November last year, which was supposed to give me first refusal in buying one of the first batch and keep me updated.  This is the first and only email they have sent me!!  The subject is "[Raspberry Pi] An apology" and continues :

"You may be aware that the Raspberry Pi Model B went live for pre-orders at 0600h
GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Unfortunately, not everyone on our mailing
list received a notification of our impending launch, as it now takes about a
week to mail personalized messages to each of our 100,000 subscribers.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this error. Given the large volumes our
partners are able to produce, the penalty for being further back in the queue is
much smaller than it would have been had we been the only manufacturer; if you
place an order, we'll do our best to make sure you're not waiting too long."

I read today that they have had a 'hiccup' in manufacturing the board, so all the boards so far have no networking !!  ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781 ) The saying "couldnt organize a party in a brewery" comes to mind.

I'm going to cancel my order and get a refund, and go for another device.  The disadvantages of the Raspberry Pi now outweigh the advantages for me.

clivejo

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »

Has anyone got a Raspberry-Pi  yet??

I just got an email from RS Online saying they was about to go on sale and this is still the first batch, which was supposed to be on sale weeks ago!

pb

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »

Apparently RS and Farnell both decided that they couldn't sell them without a declaration of CE conformity.  It seems that the Pi folks had been under the impression that the EMC regulations didn't apply to them and hence hadn't bothered to test the products against the requirements.

I gather that their shipments are on hold until they get that sorted out and are able to apply a CE mark to the products.  Presumably they are rather hoping that the boards they've already built do indeed meet the required standard.
wookey

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »

Oh dear!

To be fair, my understanding is that you can sell boards without CE marks if they are 'components' rather than finished products. That may or not apply to dev boards (we were told we could sell Balloonboard through Farnell without a CE mark - maybe the Pi people were told the same thing).

Wookey
langstroth3

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:11 PM »

This was the last email I had from RS (04 April):

Thereís been plenty of positive developments in shipping and testing over the last week.

* 2,000 boards have now been shipped to the Raspberry Pi Foundation in Cambridge, UK (hereís some pictures)
    * RS and Farnell are working together with the Foundation to accelerate testing, making sure that all Raspberry Piís meet the required safe-for-use standards, as many people will be using their Pi's as a finished product.
    * As soon as certification has been achieved, we will receive our allocation of the first batch of boards. Weíre hopeful that this will be very soon.
    * Our dedicated Raspberry Pi store is getting ready to open to the first group of people in our queue. Once they have placed their orders, weíll then start inviting the next-in-line into the store.
    * More deliveries are expected shortly, so we can start fulfilling the extraordinary demand for Raspberry Pi. Weíll keep you up-to-date via our weekly email and online FAQs.

and from Farnell on the 2nd April:
The wait for Pi is (nearly) over

The Pi began its journey as a crowdsourced community project. Given the volumes involved and the demographic mix of likely users, the development board exemption on compliance testing is not applicable. As a result, even the first uncased developer units of Raspberry Pi will require a CE (compliance tested) mark prior to distribution in the EU.

We're supporting the Raspberry Pi Foundation in doing everything possible to bring the Pi to the world as quickly as possible, and minimise any further delay.
(Find out more here.)

So the message seems consistent.
As pb/Wookey said, I think they've been rather side-winded with the (unexpected?) need for CE testing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:29:54 PM by langstroth3 » Logged

Solar Thermal = Navitron 40 (20 x 47mm) Evacuated Tubes.
Solar PV = 4kWp, 16 x 250w znshine; sb4000tl inverter
langstroth3

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »

Actually this thread prompted me to go and check progress on the main PI site, and I see they've posted this:

Good news! We just received confirmation that the Raspberry Pi has passed EMC testing without requiring any hardware modifications.

Solar Thermal = Navitron 40 (20 x 47mm) Evacuated Tubes.
Solar PV = 4kWp, 16 x 250w znshine; sb4000tl inverter
clivejo

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »

The sad sorry state of affairs continues !!

On release day I tried to order a RaspberyPi on both the Farnell and RS websites.  On the RS one I got as far as 'registering my interest' and on Farnell I eventually checked out and it was processed, but no delivery or any acknowledgement whatsoever.   After all the hype I rang them up and cancelled the order (I was hopping mad and fit to be tied) and decided to go down another route.

Today at 18:47 on a Friday of all days I get an email - "GREAT NEWS - Delivery of your Raspberry Pi"  What delivery?!?!? I cancelled the f'in order!!  banghead

We are despatching your Raspberry Pi now, and it should arrive with you in the next few days, the week commencing Monday 16 April 2012.   facepalm 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: