navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bio kerosene for air fuel  (Read 6056 times)
Countrypaul

« on: June 22, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13877623

But why send it to the US for processing?

Paul
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:03:33 PM by Countrypaul » Logged
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »

The Americans have several bio kerosene blends availible based on canola and other oil seed sources.

One processor is the Syntroleum corperation, there are others too. The former made batches for the US Air force.

Various blends have been made  for testing by various airline and engine manufactures. The reason it is not done here is due to the fact that in the UK we are risk averse and do not invest money in anything useful.
Ivan

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:15 PM »

Biofuel for the airforce is hard to comprehend. I remember someone asking me once for a wind turbine which could run in 300mph winds. I asked if he was installing it on Saturn. Turned out that he ran an RAF jet engine testing facility. They run jet engines for several hours each day, and wanted to recoup some energy from the exhaust. He didn't seem to understand when I suggested running the facility for 15minutes less each day - which would result in a far greater saving.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
longstroke

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 04:28:42 AM »

To defend the Chap you mention there will have been a set number of evaluation hours to run on the jet engine so he wouldn't have had any choice.

The power recovery system for a gas turbine is called a Free Power turbine as it is not mechanically connected to the main turbine shaft. AFAIK they are not fitted to aircraft engine turbines, only land and marine power generators.
Unfortunately that would be designed and built to match the overall unit, although I expect a good design could act as a generic bolt-on power recovery unit for a variety of turbines, so long as it didn't affect the turbine outlet pressure.

Did you not recommend him a Proven?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: