navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evacuated glass tube thermal panel to heat above ground pool  (Read 359 times)
julesandtash

« on: June 23, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »

I have a 9000 litre steel framed above ground pool with decking around it and sitting on a 100mm cellotex base on top of steel reinforced concrete. Currently it is heated by an old oil boiler burning biodiesel made from used cooking oil (I have been making bio for over 10 years and run both cars, the house heating and the pool heating on it)

Although this is cheaper than Kerosene (my only real alternative as I live far too far from the gas grid), it is still pretty pricey to run, the fuel works out at around 30p per litre after paying for the oil and chemicals.

I have seen a nice 30 tube Navitron solar thermal panel going for quite cheap money and am considering mounting one of those above the 8 feet x 8 feet metal shed which houses the boiler etc, and used a DC circulating pump to take water from the pool, pump through the manifold on the thermal panel, and return to the pool.
If I power the circulating pump with a suitable PV panel then the system will only circulate when there is a degree of sunshine. Clearly i would drain the system down in winter to prevent risks of freezing etc.

The pool water is very slighlty alkaline and does contain chlorine (from added pool chlorine granules)

Does anyone see any major problem with doing this?  It strikes me that the system would add a fair amount of heat to the pool over a day and the boiler setup can still be on a timer as it is now, but when it does switch on, the controller will either see that the pool is warm enough and not switch on the boiler at all, or at least the boiler will run for less time as it has less work to do heating the pool.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »

You'll want to search for threads on this subject  on herethat will set you straight, (its been covered before) a tougher chemically suited exchanger is required as I recall..

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
AndrewE

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »

...and I would guess that if there was a risk of the water getting too hot you could just drag a blanket or dustsheet over the collector - as long as it wasn't too high for access!  We (occasionally) use a dustsheet over the south slope of the greenhouse roof to stop the tomato plants getting frazzled.
rogeriko

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »

You will be lucky to get 1kw of heat out of a panel that size, maybe 2kw on a sunny day, that will probably heat your pool by only a fraction of a degree so I wouldn't worry about overheating!! I would just stick to biodiesel.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:52:50 PM by rogeriko » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: