navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIT Duration (Will it end?)  (Read 2701 times)
Adam W

« on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »

Morning,

Quick question which i've not been able to find the answer to on the Carbon Trust or DECC websites...

Is there an end date for the scheme? If not, then in theory one could plan to install PV in 2015 and receive a tariff for 25 years until 2040. Just checking this is correct?!

I am aware there will be a 2013 review, and tariffs are likely to reduce, but I cannot find anything which confirms the duration of the scheme.

Does anyone know / can confirm the above scenario is correct?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:32:45 AM by Adam W » Logged
A.L.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »

hello and welcome,

I believe that as currently configured you could join upto 2025 and get the full timespan of the technology concerned....................but what the future holds  Huh
martin

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »

My view is that it's a "Dirty Harry" thing......... "Do you feel lucky (punk)?" - do you trust politicians and their goalpost moving ability? whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
clockmanFR

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

FIT.

Please read the small print, as there is always an opt-out clause in any commercial contract, of type "we reserve the right to withdraw the products and services described herin at any time".

Basically whilst it sounds good and is a great marketing ploy, and they may "honour the contract" for the time they say - but they are only likely to do so provided the economic and other environmental conditions prevailing remain the same.

Which of course they won't. - The first thing that happens is that people look to see how to get out of all their long term contracts i.e. they "activate" the small print.

So what are we left with? A nice idea which might well work for a few years, but in the longer term?Huh Well..... I would be cautious!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:20:33 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
cj

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »

It  is doubtful that there will be any extention beyond the 25 years, and that is certain to be reduced and I would think ended in the not too distant future.

However manufactures will soon start to get their act together and make panels that look more aesthetically appealing, perhaps shaped or dummy finishes so they match the shape of the roof. panels that just link together, each being autonomous (ie a mini inverter tracker in each giving out say 48vdc that then goes into one big inverter to mains) therefore making it extendable and flexible, reduces shading effects on parts etc, fully standardised and of course MUCH cheaper. All new houses / extensions will have PV tiles as a matter of course, not tacked on as an after thought.  Then there will be no need for the subsidy.

The BIG question is will they honour their 25 year promise to existing users? I think they have to, and having only bought on that promise, like handguns the Gov had to compensate for the losses.

3.92kwp PV, 16*Sharp NU245, Fronius 3600TL
Adam W

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

Thanks for the responses chaps. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some major changes come 2013
martin

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »

"All new houses / extensions will have PV tiles as a matter of course, not tacked on as an after thought.  Then there will be no need for the subsidy" ....... with this present shower in power? (as the 'oi polloi would term it, "yer 'avin a giraffe mate") - there are new estates still being built with not even a nod towards insulation or solar energy, and as the present government has amply demonstrated, all they want is a "free for all" for their party supporters in the "construction industry", "cement industry" et al, who have been building increasingly miniscule, jerry built rubbish for decades - who won't mend their ways until they are heftily booted to do so (just the mention of Parker-Morris standards is sufficient to induce apoplexy amongst them) whistlie

If you look at what's actually happening, no real great progress is being made in saving energy, or producing it renewably, government is encouraging all sorts of loads to be added to our tottering grid system so they have an "excuse" for the adoption of other lobbying groups interests  - nukes in particular - me, cynical, oh yes!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:52:16 AM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Ivan

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »

The aesthetic improvements, and the low-voltage / micro inverter options only deteriorate performance, so I think you'll be waiting a long time for these. Tiles are a great concept, but in practice, their efficiency is lousy (they get too hot).

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: