navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello - first post and I am installing an ASHP  (Read 23896 times)
A.L.

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »

hello bassman,

Your figures concern me, about the13/10 you appear to be using >60kWh of electricity for your heat pump per day, this would imply a heat input to your house of about 180kWh/day at a COP of 3. If we take off say 15kWh for DHW this would leave about 165kWh/day.
You have a "well insulated" 180m2 house - I would expect to heat it in January with about 70-80kWh/day never mind a mild October so I think either you have a problem with your heat pump or insulation (including draughtproofing)
bassman

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »

Bottom graph shows daily costs for the first 31 days I have had the ASHP running

This is 75% of the house at 22C and keeping the 220litre DHW tank filled

House as mentioned before is detached 185sqm bungalow with UFH all over, I have the system running 19hrs a day 2am to 9pm - the reason being that the Economy 7 kicks in at the moment (until the hour change) at 2am and I want to make sure I get the full benefit of this by letting the house cool from 9pm.

I will be experimenting with these times to get the most economic, but this seems ok at present - I don't want to heat the house from 9pm and then the ASHP turn off when the cheap rate kicks in if you see my logic!!

I will try and get the temps for that period if possible and add them to the graphs

To the last post - these high periods were when we had to have the DHW tank filled a couple of extra times due to a heavy use of hot water

Hope this makes sense

Daikin 16kW Monobloc ASHP - Stovax 8kW multifuel stove
bassman

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:21 PM »

Think I have used the data incorrectly on the graph

On my spreadsheet the highest total usage for a day was 34kwh with 17kwh of that being off peak

Will resubmit when I get my head round the chart data Huh

Be back soon bike

rondurrans

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »

bassman do you 'really' need a temp. of 22C and for 75% of the house?

4 kW PV Array on the North Wales Coast - http://energy1.moonfruit.com/
'Nullius in verba' & 'Nothing Endures but Change' (Heraclitus)
StationHouse
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »

Hi,

For reference my 14KW EcoDan figures...

[106sqm - 100 odd year old station house - CWI - 50% bare floors - 3m ceilings - fan convectors/UFH - lot's of windows still with no curtains/blinds - DG - 210lt DWH]

Daily electric useage [for whole house] is consistently 17-20 units. House maintained between 17 - 21c dependent upon time of day. Don't get much solar gain so house always heated within parameters.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:29:40 PM by StationHouse » Logged
bassman

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »

As I said I only have this up and running a few weeks and have to find my ideal heat setting for the rooms

Highest usage was 34KwH for a 24H period for the reasons given earlier

Here are the updated graphs - the top graph shows the Total Kwh used per day as the tallest bar, the other bar shows how much of this total was off peak

https://picasaweb.google.com/108455921836178416144/October262011?authuser=0&feat=directlink
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:36:40 PM by bassman » Logged

rondurrans

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »

Link not working.

bassman

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »

Try now

https://picasaweb.google.com/108455921836178416144/October262011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCM-0qfuOjc_9ew&feat=directlink

dhaslam

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »

Big differences from day to day 15 kW to 34kW is that just caused  by changes in outside temperature or is there an immersion in the system distorting the usage?     I presume at this time of the year you would still be getting a COP of  3  so it would mean 102 kWh  output which is a lot of heat. 

If you can set higher room temperatures at off peak times you should be able to force the system to  do more heating at the low rate. You just need to set the  thermostats to a lower temperature outside the  economy 7 hours.   It won't mean that the rooms will be cold just that the  heat will be from stored heat in the floor only.   This should also improve  efficiency by keeping the compressor running constantly but for a much shorter period.     

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
bassman

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 10:11:03 AM »

The high peaks you see all correspond to when we had to "boost" the DHW due to non normal usage and had a empty DHW cylinder, it also happened at a time when the temps here dropped by 6c in one day

Info below is from uk weather world for Northern Ireland

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:55

1c clear skies and calm back to double figures tomorrow

bassman

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »

I have updated the graphs (link below)to show peak and offpeak usage for each day so far of October 2011

Hope this is of interest - I seem to be pulling more power Off Peak than Peak which is what I want

https://picasaweb.google.com/108455921836178416144/October262011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCM-0qfuOjc_9ew&feat=directlink

rondurrans

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »

Really useful thank you - how do you calculate your 'actual' COP?

Thanks,
Ron

bassman

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »

Maybe someone on the forum could help with this as I am not completely sure of the method

rondurrans

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »

Would you need historic energy use to calculate COP now that you have an ASHP? In other words you normally use x amount of energy and now you are using y to power the ASHP - I take it there is no display showing power in and power out. 

bassman

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »

Just had a nice surprise - I have been awarded a grant of 1860 from PowerNI

This is for new installs of Renewable energy equipment and is to help with the initial purchase costs until the RHI is implemented in Northern Ireland. This scheme is only available for 3 mths until end of December.  Have to have a photo in local papers for publicity of the scheme.

ASHP is running this month at an average of 26 KwH per 24hrs at present, this includes 3 nights of severe frost and 0c mornings when the dogs water bowls were frozen over!!

I am now taken KwH readings at the change over times from peak to off peak electricity to get accurate figures.

Will keep posting updates

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: