navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello - first post and I am installing an ASHP  (Read 24075 times)
bassman

« on: September 02, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »

Hi all

Just joined the forum today as it seems to have a lot of useful information available

I have just ordered a 16Kw Daikin Altherma Monobloc ASHP for my 185 Sqm detached bungalow that is well insulated and has UFH throughout and has all floors tiled

I have all my oil bills from when I built the house, so will be able to give readers a hands on comparison as to running costs etc

Hope the install to happen towards end of September 2011

The installer mentioned fitting a new Daikin "Nordic" model that is used more in the north of Scotland and the Nordic countries, has anybody heard of this

I am situated in Northern Ireland

Comments on the above welcome

Daikin 16kW Monobloc ASHP - Stovax 8kW multifuel stove
clivejo
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »

Where are you in N Ireland?
bassman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »

Co Down

dhaslam

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »

Do you intend to use off peak electricity only?

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
bassman

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »

I intend to use Economy 7 - this gives 12am - 7am at 6p kwh with the rest resorting back to around the normal rate of around 15p

Hope the floor will act as as a buffer to release the heat during the day when the tariff is normal

dhaslam

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »

It would be better to have a buffer tank  so that  you can  supply heat  at different times,  while just running the heat pump at night.    You may find that on sunny days that some floors are too hot  if they are heated all night. 

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
StationHouse
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:44 AM »

Sounds like you are putting together a cheap to run system  Smiley

So many folk link these things to rads    winter banghead

Keep us posted...

Edit 6p kwh Economy 7 is only 2p a unit cheaper than my regular tariff  Huh
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:30:21 AM by StationHouse » Logged
martin

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »

Forgive my scepticism on just using an ASHP, I'd suspect that the only way to keep the running costs reasonable, (and bearing in mind the unlikely situation that you could get away with only using "economy" electricity), would be to add something like a woodburning stove for the coldest weather, and solar hot water for domestic hot water during the summer months -quite apart from wanting "back up" for that time you lose power supplies when it's freezing cold....

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
brackwell

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:42 AM »

Station House,
Are you saying your standard tariff is only 8p/kwh.  With whom and what tariff?
Ken
StationHouse
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:04 AM »

8.710p after the first few standing charge units @ 17.240p - nPower Sign Online 21.

Ok nearly 3p ish higher ...

So far running costs are peanuts @ 20pm  ralph

Backup heating is alway a good idea as power cuts in the country are not unknown  Grin

My supplies of wood and coal are in their final resting place ready for winter.

Still some LPG in the tank for the  flame effect fires if the ASHP goes pear shaped in deepest darkest winter  snow

Edit: Solar PV survey soon, not that it will keep me warm...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:47:13 AM by StationHouse » Logged
JonG

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »

Hi there the Nordics are a new product from Daikin in the UK, (they may be more established on the continent though), they look good because the outputs available at lower ambients are greater giving you more coverage, without a big drop off in efficiency when compared with their standard model. It is currently about 4-6 months away from MCS accreditation in the UK but I don't know whether this would apply where you are.

You say you have UFH already, but if this was designed for higher flow temps and a delta t different to that of the Daikin (5 degrees) you may want to check that it will provide enough heat from the floor with a lower flow temp and use as buffer to avoid destabilising the unit. If the manifolds have blending valves we would recommend removing them too.

JonG
bassman

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »

Cheers for all the replies

I now have the 16Kw Daikin Altherma installed and running

The company also fitted an inline KwH meter so I can get an accurate reading of the ASHP power usage

Only in 4 days now but I know from past costs that the ASHP is heating my hot water at 50% of what oil cost, I know this will change as the weather gets colder but is a good sign

On the first night after installation I turned up all my room stats (11).  Next morning the house was very warm and had a tank of hot water, all on Economy 7 ----- COST --10 units at 6.08p per unit, again I know this will change as the colder weather hits but it still looks promising

I am keeping an accurate log of costs etc and will try and update here on a regular basis

I have the original oil boiler still connected as backup and have a 8Kw Stovax woodburner in the living room for the

-15 C days

The Bassman
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:11:03 PM by bassman » Logged

StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »

Hi Bassman

I will be very interested in seeing how the system works over the winter. I was pleased my main source of heating was a GSHP rather than an ASHP last December and I had a WBS amongst other things as a backup. A lot I think depends on how well the system is designed, in the UK ASHPs normally perform well below the manufactures specification in terms of COP. Curiously in discussion with NAREC the other day there is a new Netherlands study in which the actual performance of ASHPs seems to be better than published COPs. Will try to get a link to the NL study if anyone is interested.

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
StationHouse
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »

Cheers for all the replies

I now have the 16Kw Daikin Altherma installed and running

The company also fitted an inline KwH meter so I can get an accurate reading of the ASHP power usage

Only in 4 days now but I know from past costs that the ASHP is heating my hot water at 50% of what oil cost, I know this will change as the weather gets colder but is a good sign

On the first night after installation I turned up all my room stats (11).  Next morning the house was very warm and had a tank of hot water, all on Economy 7 ----- COST --10 units at 6.08p per unit, again I know this will change as the colder weather hits but it still looks promising

I am keeping an accurate log of costs etc and will try and update here on a regular basis

I have the original oil boiler still connected as backup and have a 8Kw Stovax woodburner in the living room for the

-15 C days

The Bassman

Great to hear all is well  Smiley

I think what a lot of people forget is that a well designed ASHP system keeps your house at a nice warm even temp with loads of hot water for sod all running costs. If it is a bit dearer in winter so what... 95% of time its buttons to run.

So many oil/LPG users I know spend way way more and hardly heat their houses at all  wackoold  Indeed I was in a friends modern house, oil boiler, recently and it 14c, to expensive to turn on until winter  winter Our house was like that last year but no more  extrahappy
martin

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »

"for sod all running costs"  -  hysteria
Wait until winter!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: