navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pulse charging  (Read 14910 times)
clivejo
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »

I also want to try it on batteries from an old electric Bedford van. (http://bedfordcfelectric.blogspot.com/)  They have been neglected and sitting in a discharged state for a long time.
clivejo
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 10:42:56 PM »

Well results on using the pulse charging system for the past few weeks look very good  genuflect

I had been just charging via the wind turbines 12v controller which spent most of the time dumping the power generated rather than charging the battery.  I installed the pulse charger across the terminals on the wind controller as they are too short to go to the terminals on the batteries.  The red light came on and it emits a high pitched tone (a sound my dog is not fond of!)  So I left it to work its magic.  Today I was greeted by a bank of batteries bubbling away and absorbing the full 300W from the turbine and no split or bleeding batteries!!  The battery voltage was sitting happily at aprox 13v.  So I pulled out a 2Kw square wave inverter and plugged in a wee fan heater, switching it on low setting.  I expected the battery voltage to drop and cause the inverter to shut down with a Low battery alarm, but it didn't and the fan started blowing nice warm air in my face  extrahappy  I checked the voltage and it was sitting at 12v so I put the fan setting to high which is drawing 2Kw, it worked fine!  Holding at 12v, delivering approx 160amps! 

I am a very happy chappy  extrahappy  I was afraid my batteries would just keep splitting and all end up with the scrap man, but this method of charging seems to be giving them a new lease of life.

Fingers and toes crossed ................
clivejo
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »

The device you see here is meant to be used on 48V batteries. We use ring terminals and 10AWG wire. This device is a joke and gives those of us trying to sell a relatively proven product a bad name.

There is a lot of energy in desulphating at 48V and we don't deal in these voltages currently for that reason.

Regards

Richard

Gale force winds again and my 12V batteries are still going strong, not one split since I got the pulse charger!!  They can now hold enough charge to last me a week!

My main system (Trace SW3048) is 48V and I would love to be able to have the pulser on my 48V battery bank.  First of all, is there any possibility of building a 48V version?  Would having the pulse charger and the inverter connected in parallel do damage to the inverter?
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 01:41:34 AM »

hi ho clivejo,
            if you get a chance ,could you post a pic of your pulse charger..it sounds damd good,,,,maybe we will do a swop,, hysteria
                                                                                                              biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 02:10:07 AM »

clivejo... why not run 4 of them, one each across 12v of batteries ?
clivejo
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 12:09:57 AM »

clivejo... why not run 4 of them, one each across 12v of batteries ?

The leads dont lend themselves to that kind of configuration!
clivejo

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

Biff, I didn't get a chance to take a photo of mine but it looks like this one.  I hope Richard doesn't mind me using his image.

* pulser.JPG (13.78 KB, 400x300 - viewed 442 times.)

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
clivejo

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 12:36:25 AM »

Richard, any news on a 48V version or a super heavy one for big batteries?

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
clivejo

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

I'm looking for advice on permanently connecting four pulse chargers on my 48v bank, could I hook 4 of these in series to the main 48VDC terminals?

Providing the above idea works, would the 'pulses' or high frequency damage my inverter?

knighty

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 02:02:53 AM »

I don't think they'd work in series like that

if they're putting out a pulse / timed output... they'd all have the be in sync with each other otherwise nothing would happen ?

you could wire them in separately each over 12v worth of cells ?
clivejo

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »

you could wire them in separately each over 12v worth of cells ?

I could, but would be difficult to rewire, plus I need to know it isn't going to damage my inverter !  Ive had enough blue smoke for a while.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: